Gallimore – Guest

Scroll to locate a company on the list, click to view.

Gallimore & Co. Ltd

1906–1934

Earthenware manufacturer at the Melbourne Works, Longton.

Gardiner (Philip Gardiner Pottery)

1983–Active 2009

A studio pottery established by Philip Gardiner at Fore St, Mevagissey, Cornwall in 1983. Gardiner produces distinctive hand-thrown stoneware decorated with incised patterns, many based on sea themes. Products include vases, jugs, bowls and individual art wares.

Garfield Pottery Ltd

?–?

Earthenware manufacturer at the Garfield Pottery, High St, Longton. The Garfield Pottery was a subsidiary of Alfred Clough Ltd in 1941 and was closed under the wartime Concentration Scheme. A company of similar name is listed as part of the Lawley Group in the late-1940s.

Gater, Hall & Co.

c.1907–1943

Earthenware manufacturer at the Royal Overhouse Pottery, Burslem. Formerly Thomas Gater & Co. The Thomas Gater & Co. business operated from the New Gordon Pottery, Tunstall, from about 1899 until 1905 when Thomas Gater purchased the Royal Overhouse Pottery. The partnership with Thomas Hall is believed to date from c.1907, but in 1916 an interest in the business was purchased by Mr. William Barratt, owner of earthenware manufacturer King and Barratt, and the two businesses operated together until King & Barratt closed in 1940. Gater, Hall & Co. remained in production during the war and in 1943 the business, now under the control of William Barratt, was incorporated under the new name Barratt’s of Staffordshire Ltd. Gater, Hall & Co. were manufacturers of domestic earthenware.

Gem Pottery Ltd

1961–?

Earthenware factor at Keele Street, Tunstall. This company were wholesalers for Alfred Meakin (Tunstall) Ltd.

Gerard (James Gerard & Co.)

Active mid-1970s

James Gerard may have been a ceramics distributor rather than a manufacturer.

Gibson & Sons (Ltd)

1885–? (Inc. 1905)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Albany Pottery and at the Harvey Pottery, Burslem, later at the Howard Pottery, Norfolk St, Shelton. The business was founded by Samuel Gibson and Robert Sudlow in 1875 and until 1884 traded as Gibson, Sudlow & Co. at Bournes Bank, Burslem. The partners separated, Gibson continuing as Gibson & Sons at the Harvey Pottery in Lingard St, and at the newly constructed Albany Pottery in Moorland Rd, Burslem. The business was incorporated as Gibson & Sons Ltd in 1905 and became a leading manufacturer of teapots. The business was sold in 1947, and was subsequently acquired by the Howard Pottery Co. Ltd in 1949.

The Albany Pottery was sold in 1965 and operations moved to the Howard Pottery premises in Norfolk St, Shelton. The Howard Pottery Group was, itself, purchased by Taunton Vale Industries in 1974 and the latter company was then acquired by Staffordshire Potteries Ltd in November 1979.

Gibson was an important maker of teapots, tea- and dinnerware, kitchenware, tankards, ashtrays and similar fancy earthenware. Most marks carry the company’s full name or a script ‘Gibsons’. The trade name ‘Royal Harvey’ was widely used. Other trade names include Silvoe Art Ware and Windsor Art Ware. The Gibson name was probably used until the mid-1970s.

Gill (William Gill & Sons)

1880–1932

Earthenware manufacturer at the Providence Pottery, Castleford, Yorkshire.

Gladstone China

1952–c.1970

See the entries for Gladstone China (Longton) Ltd and for Thomas Poole & Gladstone China Ltd.

Gladstone China (Longton) Ltd.

1939–1948

Manufacturer of bone china at the Gladstone Pottery, High St, Longton. Formerly George Procter & Co. Ltd. The Procter family business was acquired by Thomas Poole (Longton) Ltd in 1939 and re-named Gladstone China (Longton) Ltd. The Poole and Procter families were related by marriage and George Procter joined the Board of the new company. Gladstone China (Longton) Ltd closed in 1941 and its business was concentrated with that of its parent at the Cobden Works. The Gladstone Pottery was re-opened at the end of the war, but in 1948 the Gladstone China and Thomas Poole businesses were merged and acquired by a new public company Thomas Poole & Gladstone China Ltd (TPGC Ltd)—still controlled by the Poole family.

The Gladstone Pottery remained in production until March 1960 when the last bottle oven was fired. TPGC Ltd used the site for decorating and distribution until May 1970 when the Works were put up for sale. The site was acquired by the Staffordshire Pottery Industry Preservation Trust and the Gladstone Pottery Museum opened in the old Pottery in 1974.

According to Godden (1991) the business traded as a subsidiary of TPGC Ltd under the name ‘Gladstone China’ from 1952 until about 1970 when use of the name ceased. Gladstone China (Longton) Ltd and its successor produced good quality bone china teawares for the mass market. The ‘Gladstone China’ trade name was used from the mid-1920 and appears in most marks. See also the entry for Thomas Poole & Gladstone China Ltd.

Globe Pottery Co. Ltd.

1914–1948?

Earthenware manufacturer at the Globe Pottery, Waterloo Rd, Cobridge. The Pottery Gazette of April 1933 (Vol. 58, page 506) notes that the Globe Pottery was the purchaser of the very large and important Ridgway (Bedford Works) Ltd business when the assets of Cauldon Potteries Ltd (in receivership) were sold in 1932; and that from 1934 the Globe Pottery operated from the Bedford Works premises of its much larger subsidiary. The beneficial owner of the Globe Pottery Co. Ltd at the time was prominent Potteries entrepreneur Harry Wood principal of Wood & Sons, and both the Globe Pottery and Ridgways traded as subsidiaries of Wood & Sons Ltd.

Lawleys Ltd acquired an interest in both the Globe Pottery Co. Ltd and Ridgways in the 1940s, using the potteries to supply its extensive retail business and by 1948 both were wholly owned subsidiaries of Lawleys Ltd. The Globe Pottery site at Cobridge was subsequently the base for the North Staffordshire Pottery Co. founded in 1940 by Thomas Lawley and James Halsall.

Goddard (Elaine Goddard Ltd)

Established pre-1962, still active 1970

Manufacturer of earthenware flower bowls, jardinieres, vases etc at Brunton, Somerset.

Goebel United Kingdom

1980–?

Goebel United Kingdom was the UK distribution arm of Goebel Art GmbH of Rodental, Bavaria. It was established in 1980 when its previous UK distributor Healacraft Ltd was placed in receivership. The new company operated from Healcraft’s New Park Place Works, Weston Coyney Rd, Longton, and employed many former Healacraft employees. Goebel United Kingdom distributed the parent company’s famous Hummel figures, collectors’ wares and giftware.

Goldscheider Art Pottery

Goldscheider (Staffordshire) Pottery Ltd.

(c.1941–1953), 1953–1959

Manufacturer of earthenware and bone china figurines, art pottery and ornamental wares at the Alexandra Pottery of Myott Son & Co. Ltd at John St, Hanley; and at other sites in the Potteries. Originally named Goldscheider Art Pottery (c.1941–1953), the name was changed to Goldscheider (Staffordshire) Pottery Ltd in 1953 and closed in 1959.

Marcel Goldscheider was a Viennese designer and potter who moved from Austria to the Potteries in 1939. Goldscheider and wife Rosemary Goldscheider commenced manufacture of figurines (for which his Viennese family was already world famous) initially at the Studio, Moreton Parade, Newcastle and later at various premises in Hanley. Myott Son & Co Ltd offered Goldscheider use of production facilities in their Alexandra Pottery, Hanley, and from c.1940 to 1950 Goldscheider manufactured figurines, animal models, lamps, wall masks (including a mask of Winston Churchill) etc at the Pottery, primarily for export to the United States where the Goldscheider name was well known. By 1942 the range extended to over 300 models and by 1945 to over 750.

A catastrophic fire at the Alexandra Works in August 1949 led to a decision by Myott to cease manufacture of fancy lines and the relationship with Marcel Goldscheider came to an end in 1950. Goldscheider moved to new premises in Hanley and from 1953 the company name was changed to Goldscheider (Staffordshire) Pottery Ltd. The business continued until 1959 when unfavourable economic circumstances and Goldscheider’s advancing age brought its closure. Marcel Goldscheider died in April 1964.

Goldscheider produced figurines, many in series, modelled by himself or by leading English designers, and then produced under his personal supervision to the highest standards. Although known for the figurines, the Goldscheider businesses manufactured animal models, vases, lamp bases, smokers’ accessories, chandeliers and similar wares.

Goode (Thomas Goode & Co. (Ltd))

1827–Active 2009 (Inc. c.1918)

Thomas Goode & Co. is a high class retailer of luxury goods including porcelains and earthenware at South Audley St, London. The business was started in 1827 by Thomas Goode and in the 20th century the Thomas Goode name and trade marks appear on wares manufactured to Goode’s specifications by various potteries. Thomas Goode entered pottery manufacture with the purchase of the Caverswall China Co. Ltd in the mid-1980s. The business was quickly sold to Bullers Ltd, but in 1994 Goode re-purchased the Caverswall business and used its manufacturing capacity to produce exclusive ‘Thomas Goode’ branded wares. In 1998 Caverswall, still owned by Thomas Goode, recommenced sales of its exclusive bone china under its own name.

Goodwin (J. Goodwin Stoddart & Co.)

1898–1940

China manufacturer at King St, Longton. Goodwin Stoddart made bone china  tableware marketed under the ‘Foley Bone China’ trade name.

Goonhilly Pottery

1999–Active 2009

Manufacturer of earthenware and art pottery at Goonhilly Downs, Helston, Cornwall. The Goonhilly Pottery was established by Russell Gibbs in 1999 to manufacture hand-made domestic earthenware and art pottery. Gibbs’ training and inspiration has been traditional country pottery and the studio hand-makes a wide range of domestic earthenware including crocks, pitchers, casseroles, jugs, vases and  tableware finished in an attractive honey glaze. Individual studio wares are also made and Gibbs’ ceramics have become well known and widely exhibited.

Goss (William Henry Goss)

1858–1930

Manufacturer of mainly ornamental wares (some tableware) in Parian, bone china and earthenware at the Falcon Pottery, Stoke. William Henry Goss founded his business in Stoke in about 1859. Adolphus Goss, the eldest son, joined the business in about 1883 and initiated the large scale production of the heraldic or crested china for which Goss is now famous.

William Henry Goss died in 1906 and the business passed to two other sons Victor and William Huntley Goss. The business failed in 1930 and was purchased from the administrators by Cauldon Potteries Ltd. Harold Taylor Robinson subsequently purchased the business from Cauldon Potteries (which he effectively controlled) and, in a separate transaction, acquired the Falcon Pottery from its mortgagees, establishing a new business ‘W. H. Goss. Ltd’.

The original Goss business first specialised in ornamental porcelains, including porcelain jewellery, brooches, scent bottles and the like. Busts and figurines made in fine Parian china were also important products. From the mid-1880s the business began producing china miniatures in an ivory china body decorated with printed and enamelled coats of arms. Miniatures of archaeological artefacts, building, domestic objects and animals were produced and sold though a network of exclusive agencies. Crested china and other souvenir items remained the mainstay of the business up to and through the First World War and into the 1920s. See the next entry for Goss (W. H. Goss Ltd).

Goss (W. H. Goss Ltd)

1930–1934?

  1. H. Goss Ltd was a new company formed by H. T. Robinson following his purchase of the William Henry Goss assets from Cauldon Potteries Ltd, and the purchase of Goss’ Falcon Pottery from its mortgagee, in 1930. The business operated in tandem with H. T. Robinson’s other crested china businesses Arkinstall Ltd and Willow Potteries Ltd until placed in receivership in 1932. See the entry for Goss China Co. Ltd.

Goss China Co. Ltd

1934–c.1941

Goss China Co. Ltd was registered as a private company in 1934 by Colin M. Brunt and Reginald Mellor to take over the business of W. H. Goss Ltd. The latter company had been formed by Harold Taylor Robinson following his purchase of the original William Henry Goss business in 1930. W. H. Goss Ltd was placed in receivership (together with other Robinson businesses) in 1932 and its assets were presumably acquired by the directors of the new Goss China Co. Ltd, both of whom were business associates of H. T. Robinson.

Goss China Co. Ltd is listed as a subsidiary of George Jones & Sons Ltd in 1941 and was ‘concentrated’ with the parent company during the Second World War. It did not reopen at the end of the war. ‘Goss’ marked souvenir wares were probably produced until the late 1930s at the Crescent Pottery of George Jones and Sons Ltd.

Govancroft Potteries Ltd

1913–1975

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at London Rd, Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland. Govancroft Potteries was established by James Buchanan in 1911 (1913?) at Tollcross, Glasgow. The Pottery was sold to a syndicate of businessmen in about 1948, and in June 1975 Wade Potteries Ltd purchased the whole of Govancroft’s share capital. Govancroft were makers of vitrified stoneware containers for the whisky industry, tableware, ovenware, oven-to-table ware, hotelware and ornamental stoneware.

Gray (W. A. Gray & Sons (Ltd))

c.1857–1931 (Inc.1926)

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at the Midlothian Pottery, Portobello, Scotland.

Grays Pottery

c.1933–1961

The trading name adopted by A. E. Gray & Co. Ltd from c.1933.

Gray (A. E. Gray & Co. Ltd.)

1912–1961

A decorator of bought-in earthenware at the Glebe Works, Hanley (to 1933) and then at Whieldon Rd, Stoke until 1961. The name A. E. Gray & Co. Ltd dates from 1912 when Albert Edward Gray established a ceramics decorating business at the Glebe Pottery, Hanley. Gray had worked as a pottery and glass salesman in the early 1900s and it is said that this experience led him to establish his own decorating business. He moved to the Potteries in about 1907 first establishing a pottery wholesale business and then in 1912 his decorating business A. E. Gray & Co. Ltd.

In 1933 the firm moved to larger premises at Whieldon Rd, Stoke-on-Trent and began trading as ‘Grays Pottery’. An interest in the Kirkland Pottery, one of the main suppliers of undecorated wares, was purchased in about 1936. A. E. Gray died in 1959 and although his only son Robin Gray and long-time associate Sam Talbot continued the business it was sold in late-1959, control passing to Susan Williams-Ellis and husband Euan Cooper-Willis from 1st January 1960. Grays Pottery acquired Kirkhams Ltd in February 1961 and in the following December A. E. Gray & Co. Ltd and Kirkhams Ltd combined under the new name Portmeirion Potteries Ltd.

  1. E. Gray bought in and decorated an enormous range of ‘white-wares’—undecorated earthenware—from manufacturers including Kirklands, Johnson Bros, Ridgways and Lancaster & Sandland. Gray was astute in his choice of designers, benefiting from his friendship with the renowned Gordon Forsyth. In addition to Forsyth and Susie Cooper, Samuel Talbot designed for the company from the mid-1920s until the sale of the business in 1959. He was also joint managing director with Robin Gray in the final years of the company. The Grays products are enormously diverse. Tableware, tea and coffee ware, kitchenware, and utilitarian and ornamental earthenware of all kinds can be found with the firms distinctive ‘Clipper’ marks. Particularly collectible are the lustre wares produced in the 1920 under the design influence of Gordon Forsyth and the brilliantly coloured geometric patterns attributed to Susie Cooper during her employment as a decorator/designer from 1922 to 1929.

There are numerous A. E. Gray backstamps, however the well-known ‘Clipper’ mark can be found on wares from c.1930 to 1961. The ‘Clipper’ mark is often overlaid on marks of the manufacturing pottery, in particular that of Johnson Bros (Hanley) Ltd, one of Gray’s main suppliers.

Grayshott Pottery

Early 1980s–Active 2009

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at School Rd, Grayshott, Hindhead, Surrey. Formerly Surrey Ceramic Co. Ltd. In the early 1980s the Surrey Ceramic Co. Ltd adopted the name Grayshott Pottery (Surrey Ceramic Co. Ltd), continuing to manufacture its domestic stoneware and earthenware. A fire in mid-1982 destroyed the records of the company and the museum which housed examples of the company’s products extending back to the mid-1950s. Since 2005 the Grayshott Pottery has been the production base for the Dartington Pottery’s studio stoneware.

Grayshott Stoneware Ltd

2005? –Active 2009

Grayshott Stoneware Ltd manufactures stoneware at the Grayshott Pottery, School Rd, Grayshott, Surrey, and is a successor business to the Surrey Ceramics Co. established at the same site in 1956. The company manufactures an extensive range of durable domestic ware and hospitality ware using a Vitrimax™ high-fired stoneware body.

Green (T. G. Green & Co. (Ltd))

1864–Active 2009 (Inc. 1890s)

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at Church Gresley, Derbyshire. The T. G. Green pottery business was founded by Thomas Goodwin Green at Church Gresley in 1864 when he purchased a small Pottery manufacturing domestic earthenware from the local yellow clay. Henry William King joined Thomas Green in the business in the 1860s and members of the two families continued to own and manage the business until 1964. In its early years, the pottery produced only the utilitarian earthenware of its predecessor, but in the early 1870s a new factory was constructed to manufacture white earthenware. The business was incorporated in the early-1890s as T. G. Green & Co. Ltd, and Thomas Green retired from active management leaving the business in the hands of Henry King, his son Percy King, and Green’s second son Roger Green. T. G. Green died in 1902.

In the 1920s King and Green were joined by their respective sons Henry King (junior) and Kenneth Stanley Green, and the sons assumed control of the business following the end of the Second World War. The business struggled to finance the necessary modernisation of the factories in the 1950s and the business was placed in receivership in 1965. After a brief closure it was acquired in November 1966 by Barro Partners, a London investment group. Other owners followed and in 2001 T. G. Green was acquired by fellow Church Gresley pottery firm Mason, Cash & Co. Ltd.

Mason Cash itself went into voluntary liquidation in early 2004 and was purchased by the Tabletop Company Ltd a UK supplier of  tableware, mugs and giftware. Both T. G. Green and Mason Cash continued to trade as individual members of the Tabletop Group until that business experienced financial difficulty in mid-2007. Mason Cash was purchased by homeware group Rayware Ltd, but T. G. Green was placed in administration by Tabletop in late 2007 and the factory closed.

The rights to the T. G. Green name and intellectual property were purchased in 2008 by entrepreneurs Charles Rickards and Perry Haydn Taylor and production of the company’s Cornish Ware was recommenced (but made in China). In mid-2009, plans were announced to re-start production of Cornish Ware in Derbyshire.

  1. G. Green is best known for its kitchenware including mixing bowls and baking dishes, but also produced an enormous range of tableware, fancy earthenware, giftware, hospital and industrial ceramics, toilet ware and teapots. ‘Cornish Kitchen Ware’, introduced in 1924 and still in production in 2009, is produced by dipping a white-body into a coloured slip and then lathe-cutting the distinctive white stripes. In addition to the signature blue ware, Cornish Kitchen Ware has been produced in yellow, green and many other colours. The range was redesigned by Judith Onions in the late-1960s and in recent years has expanded to include tableware, coffee ware and table accessories. T. G. Green’s trade names include ‘Cornish Kitchen Ware’, ‘Gresley Ware’ and ‘Gayday’ tableware. The numerous 20th century marks include the name of the company.

Grenville Pottery Ltd

1946–1964(?)

Earthenware manufacturer at Tunstall. The Grenville Pottery was no longer active in 1964. Grenville Pottery produced traditionally decorated tableware, jugs etc. Marks contain the company name and/or the trade name ‘Grenville Ware’.

Greta Pottery

1938–1941

Earthenware manufacturer at the Cleveland Tile Works, Summer St, Stoke. The Greta Pottery was established by a Mrs Margareta (Greta) Marks an experienced designer and decorator who had studied at the Bauhaus in Germany. The Pottery produced tea- and dinnerwares, ornamental pottery and fancies decorated with matt glazes and hand painted decoration. Greta Marks also worked with Enoch Boulton on the design of some of S. Fielding & Co. Ltd Crown Devon figurines.

Grigg’s Forge pottery

1970s–Active 2009

The Grigg’s Forge pottery, Hayle, Cornwall was established by John Vasey in the 1970s. It was later run by Arthur Walford and Yvonne Graham producing domestic stoneware and kitchenware. In 2009 the owner of the Grigg’s Forge Pottery is recorded as Janet Butterworth.

Grimwades Ltd. (I)

1900–1964

Earthenware manufacturers at the Winton Pottery, Upper Hanley Pottery and Elgin Pottery, Stoke and other locations. Formerly Grimwades Bros (c.1885–1900). The Grimwades business was established in about 1885 by Leonard Lumsden Grimwade. He was joined in the business by his brothers Edward and Sydney Grimwade and in 1900 it was incorporated as Grimwades Ltd. The business expanded rapidly, merging with the Stoke Pottery of James Plant in 1900, and then acquiring the Rubian Art Pottery Ltd (1906), the Heron Cross Pottery (1908) and the Atlas China Co. Ltd (1910).

By the early 1920s Grimwades had become one of the largest manufacturers of earthenware in the Potteries. Leonard Grimwade died in 1931 and in 1933 control of the business passed to James Plant, son of the original owner of the Stoke Pottery. Following James Plant’s death in 1962, Grimwades Ltd was acquired in 1964 by the Howard Pottery Group.

Grimwades were originally manufacturers of toilet wares, but quickly turned to the making of tea- and dinnerware, and ornamental earthenware. The first chinz patterns were introduced in 1928 and their production continued until the early-1960s. The famous ‘Royal Winton’ trade name was apparently used from c.1929. See the entry for Royal Winton Pottery.

Grimwades Ltd (II)

1995–Active 2009

Bone china manufacturer at the Albion Pottery, Uttoxeter Rd, Stoke. In 1995 ownership of the ‘Royal Winton’ name changed and the new owners reverted back to the original company name of Grimwades Ltd, although continuing to trade as ‘Royal Winton’. Since 1995 the company has re-introduced a range of traditional and new chinz patterns on its range of tableware, giftware and limited edition pieces. A modern version of the traditional circular ‘Royal Winton’ backstamp is used and to avoid confusion the date 1995 is included on all new chinz editions.

Grimwades Ltd also trade under the name Royal Creamware, producing a range of handcrafted reproductions of 18th century Creamware, and are the owner of Duchess China Ltd a manufacturer of bone china tablewares. Under the Royal Winton trade name, Grimwades Ltd manufactures tableware, giftware, limited editions and collectors’ items, all in the famous chinz decoration. See the entries for Royal Winton, Royal Creamware, and Duchess China Ltd.

Grindley (W. H. Grindley & Co. (Ltd))

1880–post-1988

Earthenware manufacturer at the Woodland Pottery, Tunstall (from 1891). The Grindley business was founded by Mr W. H. Grindley and a Mr Turner in 1880 and from 1891 operated from the Woodland Pottery in Tunstall. Alfred Clough Ltd acquired the W. H. Grindley business in 1960 and it continued under its own name as part of the Alfred Clough Group.

The Clough Group was renamed Grindley of Stoke (Ceramics) Ltd in 1978 and in 1982 W. H. Grindley & Co. Ltd, Cartwright & Edwards Ltd (and other group assets) were sold to the United Kingdom Provident Institution; and the company became a member of the newly formed Federated Potteries Co. Ltd. The assets of Federated Potteries were dispersed in 1987. The management of Grindleys’ purchased the business from United Kingdom Provident Institution in January 1988 and recommenced trading under the W. H. Grindley and Co. Ltd name. W. H. Grindley & Co. Ltd were important manufacturers of tablewares, teapots, vitrified hotelware and general domestic earthenware.

Grindley Hotel Ware Co. Ltd

1908–late-1970s

Earthenware manufacturer at the Globe Pottery, Scotia Rd, Tunstall. Grindley Hotel Ware was founded in 1908 by Mr W. H. Grindley, the principal of W. H. Grindley & Co. Ltd. The company was sold in 1920 to interests associated with the Robinson family and it became a subsidiary of H. T. Robinson’s Cauldon Potteries Ltd. Following the liquidation of Cauldon Potteries Ltd in 1932, Grindley Hotel Ware Co. Ltd was re-formed under the management of John V. Goddard and Joseph Harrison. The business was acquired by Dudson Bros. Ltd in 1952, but it continued to trade under its own name as a member of the Dudson group. In the late 1970s the company adopted its ‘Duraline’ trade name and became ‘The Duraline Hotel Ware Co. Ltd’. There was a further name change in 1996 and the business is now known as Dudson Duraline Ltd.

Grindley/Duraline produced vitrified earthenware for the hotel and catering trades, hospitals, schools and other institutions under the ‘Duraline’, ‘Ultraline’ and ‘Grindley’ trade names. The firm’s mark was a crown above the Grindley Hotelware name.

Grindley of Stoke (Ceramics) Ltd.

1978–1982

Manufacturer of earthenware and bone china at various locations in the Potteries. Grindley of Stoke (Ceramics) Ltd was the name adopted in 1978 for Alfred Clough Ltd, the holding company for the former Clough Group. Alfred Clough Ltd, already owner of numerous potteries, had acquired Hostess Tableware Ltd from Thomas Poole and Gladstone China Ltd (TPGC Ltd) in 1973. The purchase included the important Hostess Tableware Ltd subsidiaries Royal Stafford China and British Anchor Pottery Co. Ltd. In exchange, TPGC Ltd received a 34% interest in the expanded Clough group. In 1975 TPGC Ltd was acquired by Newman Industries, an industrial group owned by entrepreneur Alan Bartlett, and in 1976 Newman Industries acquired the remaining 66% of Clough’s share capital.

The name Grindley of Stoke (Ceramics) Ltd was adopted in 1978 and the group included well known subsidiaries W. H Grindley & Co. Ltd, Barker Bros Ltd, Cartwright & Edwards Ltd, British Anchor Pottery Co. Ltd, and Royal Stafford China Ltd. Grindley of Stoke’s assets were dispersed in 1982 and a number of the subsidiary companies were purchased by the United Kingdom Provident Institution to form the Federated Potteries Co.

Grosvenor Ceramic Hardware Ltd

?–Active 2009

Manufacturer of knobs and ceramic hardware at Stone, Staffordshire. John McCluskey, the proprietor of Grosvenor Ceramic Hardware Ltd purchased the rights to the Carlton Ware name in 1989 and some ornamental ware was manufactured under the Carlton Ware brand between 1990 and 1992.

Grosvenor (F. Grosvenor (& Son))

c.1869–1926

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at the Eagle Pottery, Bridgeton, Glasgow, Scotland. The firm became F. Grosvenor & Son in about 1899.

Grosvenor China Ltd

1961–1969

Manufacturer of bone china teaware at Chelson St, Longton. Grosvenor China Ltd was formed in 1961 and took over the business of Jackson & Gosling Ltd owners of the ‘Grosvenor China’ trade name. The new company occupied the Chelson St premises of the New Chelsea China Co. Ltd, formerly the owner of Jackson & Gosling Ltd. A note in the October 1961 Pottery Gazette (Vol. 86, page 1225) states “that Grosvenor China Ltd will be manufacturing the bulk of the old New Chelsea shapes and decorations and that the great majority of Jackson & Gosling shapes and decorations will also be available as in the past”. It is unconfirmed, but highly likely, that the owners of Grosvenor China Ltd were the same people involved in the closure of the New Chelsea China Co. Ltd, i.e. Susie Cooper and the Plant family.

 Grosvenor China Ltd was subsequently acquired (in 1967) by Robert Glew, a Yorkshire textile company and despite modernisation of the factory, production was run down and the factory closed in December 1969. Grosvenor China produced bone china tea and coffee ware, tableware, giftware, and similar goods. See also the entries for Jackson & Gosling Ltd and for the New Chelsea China Co. Ltd.

Guernsey Pottery Ltd

?–Active 1970

A studio pottery at St. Sampsons, Guernsey.

Guest & Dewsbury

1877–1927

Earthenware manufacturers at Llanelli, South Wales. Guest & Dewsbury produced domestic earthenware for local markets, mainly the industrial towns of South Wales.