Abbeydale – Ayshford

Scroll to locate a company on the list, click to view.

Company name
2
3

Abbeydale New Bone China Co. Ltd

1961–1974

A manufacturer of bone china tableware, giftware and china accessories at Wirksworth Rd, Duffield, Derbyshire, and at the Jason Works, Stoke-on-Trent.

Abbeydale was founded in 1961 by Mrs Edith Robinson, her sister Sheila Lambert and Mr Robert Head. Edith Robinson’s husband, Philip Robinson, the managing director of Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Co. Ltd joined Abbeydale in 1963 (the Robinson family’s controlling interest in Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Co. Ltd was sold in 1964). Despite the Abbeydale directors’ ceramic industry background and technical expertise, financial problems beset the new venture and in August 1964 the local Derbyshire business of Pearson & Co. (Chesterfield) Ltd took a controlling interest, Abbeydale becoming a member of the Pearson Group.

In 1971, Abbeydale’s founders and innovative force, the Robinson family, sold their remaining interest and it became wholly owned by Pearson & Co. (Chesterfield) Ltd. After further financial problems the Duffield factory was closed in 1974 and production under the Abbeydale name ceased. Pearson & Co (Chesterfield) Ltd was itself placed in receivership in 1982, however, Abbeydale patterns and even the Abbeydale name have been used by various later owners up to at least 2002.

Abbeydale produced highly decorative dinnerware, tea and coffee ware, and fancy china, the bone china blanks being manufactured at the Jason Works and the intricate decoration completed at the Duffield factory. Stylistically, the Abbeydale patterns were similar to the Royal Crown Derby factory’s Imari wares and a distinguishing feature was the use of the chrysanthemum flower in many of the patterns. The Abbeydale wares are of high quality and were distributed through Thomas Goode & Co., Tiffany’s and similar sophisticated retail outlets. Limited editions for the collectors’ market were an important part of the business. The mark includes the name ‘ABBEYDALE’.

Abbot Pottery

2001 (?)–Active 2009

A studio pottery established by Caroline Smith in c.2001 at Hopkins Lane, Newton Abbot, Devon. The pottery’s wares are traditional domestic earthenware (jugs, vases, bowls etc) slip decorated in a characteristic Devon ‘moorlands and sheep’ theme, and art ceramics. All the wares are hand-made and decorated by potter Caroline Smith.

Adams (William Adams & Sons (Potters) Ltd)

c.1770–1966

Manufacturer of earthenware at the Greengates Pottery and the Greenfields Pottery, Tunstall. The Adams family have been associated with the Staffordshire Potteries since at least 1650 and at various times the current business was known as William Adams, William Adams & Co, William Adams & Son, William Adams & Sons and William Adams & Sons (Potters) Ltd. Adams became part of the Wedgwood Group (subsequently Waterford Wedgwood plc) on 1st January 1966, and the Adams name was continued in use by Wedgwood as a fine earthenware brand.

In the 19th and early 20th century Adams was renowned for its durable earthenware and ironstone china, enormous quantities of which were exported to markets in North America. High quality transfer printed tableware decorated with traditional patterns are the best known Adams wares, but the company also produced an enormous range of useful and ornamental earthenware. Calyx ware, introduced in the 1860s, featured oriental patterns with names like ‘Singapore Bird’ and ‘Mandalay’ and was covered in a pale green glaze reminiscent of the Chinese celadon ware. Hand painted Titian Ware, named after the famous Spanish artist was introduced in the 1930s and was still in production in the 1960s. There are numerous marks, but all include the name ‘ADAMS’.

Adams & Co.

1920s–1930s

Manufacturer of sanitary pottery. Adams & Co. was a company associated with Mr Walter Bakewell, a proprietor and director of G. L. Ashworth & Bros and Cauldon Potteries Ltd. The company was active in the 1920s and 1930s.

Adderley (J. Fellowes Adderley)

1901–1905

Manufacturer of bone china at the Jubilee Works, Longton. Wares may be marked with the initials ‘JFA’, or with a rampant lion enclosed in a circle.

Adderley (William Alsager Adderley & Co.)

c.1885–1906

Manufacturers of earthenware and china at the Daisy Bank Pottery, Longton. In about 1854 Richard Hulse, James Nixon and William Adderley took over the lease (later the freehold) of the Daisy Bank Pottery following the failure of Charles James Mason’s ironstone china business. The deaths of James Nixon 1869 and of Richard Hulse in 1873 left William Adderley in control of the business which traded as W. A. Adderley until c.1885, and then as W. A. Adderley & Co. William Adderley died in 1900 and in 1906 the business was incorporated as Adderleys Ltd. Whether the proprietors at the time were members of the Adderley family is unclear.

The various Adderley businesses produced a wide range of mid-range domestic earthenware and china for the UK, colonial and continental markets and a speciality of the business was transfer printed blue and white willow ware. The initials ‘WAA’ or ‘WAA & Co’ appear on most wares. The distinctive ‘sailing ship seen through a porthole’ mark was used by the earlier Hulse and Adderley partnership, the Adderley businesses and, subsequently, by Adderleys Ltd. For further information see the following entry.

Adderley (Adderleys Ltd)

1906–1952

Manufacturer of earthenware and bone china at the Daisy Bank Pottery, Longton. Formerly W. A. Adderley & Co. (1885-1906). Adderleys Ltd was an important supplier of mid-range tableware in the 1920s and 1930s. The company ceased production in 1941 under the wartime concentration scheme and the business was ‘concentrated’ with that of Myott, Son & Co. at the latter’s Alexandra Potteries, Cobridge. Adderleys Ltd was one of the first potteries to receive a government license to re-start production in 1945, however, the business was acquired by Lawleys Ltd in 1947 and became the base for Edgar Lawley’s ‘Adderley Group’ of companies servicing his chain of retail shops.

The operations of Adderleys Ltd and Ridgways (Bedford Works) Ltd (both Lawley-owned companies) were combined in October 1952 as Ridgway & Adderley Ltd, and in 1955 the Adderley business became part of Ridgway Potteries Ltd. The ‘Adderley’ and ‘Royal Adderley’ names were used as fine china brands by Ridgway Potteries Ltd until 1964 and then by its successors Allied English Potteries Ltd (1964-1971) and Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd (1972 onward). The Adderley name was discontinued by Doulton in the mid-1970s. Adderley trade names include ‘Porcelaine Moderne’ and ‘Adderley Ware’, the latter used for art deco-style wares in the 1930s. There are numerous 20th century Adderley marks including the famous sailing ship viewed through a porthole used by earlier Adderley businesses.

Adderley Group

c.1947–1948

A short-lived, collective name (in use in 1947 at least) for the companies acquired by Lawleys Ltd between c.1941 and 1947 and which operated co-operatively producing china and earthenware for the Lawley retail china shops. Adderley Group companies were Adderleys Ltd, Barlows (Longton) Ltd, Garfield Pottery Co. Ltd, Hughes (Fenton) Ltd, and possibly others. Edgar Lawley reorganised his pottery businesses in 1948 and the Adderley Group companies became subsidiaries of the Lawley Group Ltd.

Adderley Floral and Figurine China Co. Ltd

c.1950–c.1956

Manufacturer of floral china and figurines at Sutherland Rd, Longton. Formerly the Floral China Co. Ltd of Longton. The Floral China Co. Ltd was acquired by Ridgways (Bedford Works) Ltd in December 1949 and Ridgways continued the business under the new name Adderley Floral and Figurine China Co. Ltd (both Ridgways and Adderleys Ltd were owned by the Lawley Group Ltd). In 1956 there was a further change of name to Adderley Floral China Works (Ridgway Potteries Ltd). The Adderley Floral business manufactured bone china florals, figurines and jewellery, and wares are marked with a floral emblem surmounted by a crown.

Adderley Floral China Works (Ridgway Potteries Ltd)

c.1956–c.1973

Manufacturer of bone china floral arrangements, figurines and china jewellery at the Adderley Floral China Works, Sutherland Rd, Longton. Formerly the Adderley Floral and Figurine China Co. Ltd. The business operated as a division of Ridgway Potteries Ltd and became part of Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd in 1972. Godden (1988) suggests the business was renamed ‘Royal Adderley Floral’ in 1973, however, the Royal Adderley Floral name had been used on products since 1964 at least. Adderley Floral was an important manufacturer of floral china arrangements, china jewellery (earrings, brooches etc), porcelain lace, figurines, bird studies, table ornaments and general giftware under the Adderley Floral and Royal Adderley Floral trade names. The basic mark (also used by predecessor businesses since 1941) was a rose surmounted by the word ‘Floral’ and a crown. ‘Adderley’ or ‘Royal Adderley’ was added to the existing mark from 1950.

Albany Fine China Co. Ltd

1972–1987

Maker of fine bone china animal models and figurines at Lowesmoor, Worcester. Albany Fine China was established in 1972 by David Lovegrove, W. E. Nicholls, D. T. Palmer and D. M. Robins. The company specialised in expensive limited edition models and special commissions for the collectors’ market in competition with firms such as Royal Worcester, Boehm of Malvern and Hereford Fine China. Horses (modelled by David Lovegrove), dogs, birds and art nouveau figurines were produced and the company employed well known freelance modellers including Ruth Van Ruyckvelt, David Burnham-Smith (bird models) and Neil Campbell (dogs). The business was acquired by Lilliput Lane in 1987 and moved to Stoke-on-Trent where it traded under the name ‘Lilliput Lane Land of Legends Limited’. The move was short lived and in 1990 the business became independent and returned to Worcester.

Albert Potteries Ltd

1946–1954

Earthenware manufacturer at Albert St, Burslem. The Albert Potteries were acquired by Dudson Bros in 1950 as part of their re-establishment following the end of the Second World War. Whether Dudson acquired the business, the premises or both is unclear, but Godden (1991) gives the date of closure as 1954. See also the entry for Heath (J. E. Heath Ltd).

Alcock, Lindley & Bloore Ltd

1919–1965 (1972?) (Inc. 1931)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Albert Pottery, Burslem, the Sefton Pottery, Hanley, and the Vulcan Works, Clough St, Hanley. Alcock, Lindley & Bloor was established in 1919 as a subsidiary of Swinnertons Ltd and was incorporated in 1931. The directors, Walter Lindley, William Bloor and Victor G. H. Alcock were also the owners and directors of Swinnertons Ltd. The business was acquired by Allied English Potteries Ltd in 1965 and the Vulcan Works became a production unit of Ridgway Potteries Ltd. The company was still listed as a teapot manufacturer (as an Allied English Potteries Ltd company) in a year-book published in 1970, but is not listed as a subsidiary of Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd post-1972.

Alcock, Lindley & Bloor Ltd was an important manufacturer of teapots and an article in the Pottery Gazette (1941) noted that the company’s annual production was in excess of 4 million teapots. The Alcock, Lindley & Bloor mark was a large ‘A’ with the initials ‘L’ and ‘B’ enclosed.

Alcock (Henry Alcock & Co. (Ltd))

Alcock (The Henry Alcock Pottery)

(1861–1910), 1910–1935 (Inc. c.1900)

Manufacturer of earthenware and semi-porcelain at the Elder Works, Cobridge, and the Clarence Works, Stoke-on-Trent (from c.1910). Established as Henry Alcock & Co. in 1861, the business was incorporated in c.1900 and the name was changed to ‘The Henry Alcock Pottery’ in 1910. The Alcock businesses produced ordinary domestic earthenware and the mark includes an elaborate heraldic shield with the Alcock name.

Aldermaston Pottery

1955–2007

A studio pottery founded in 1955 at Aldermaston, Berkshire, by Alan Caiger-Smith and Geoffrey Eastop. Earthenware and porcelains have been produced at Aldermaston by numerous individual potters using the facilities offered by the pottery. Alan Caiger-Smith was still producing art wares at the Aldermaston Pottery in 2006, but the Pottery was scheduled to close in 2007 on his retirement.

Aldridge & Co.

Aldridge Pottery Co. (Longton) Ltd

(1919-1949), 1949–post-1970

Manufacturer of earthenware at the Normacot Works, Longton. Formerly Aldridge & Co. (1919-1949). Aldridge Pottery Co. (Longton) Ltd were specialists in the manufacture of table lamp bases, but also made a wide range of general and fancy earthenware—jugs, vases, flower holders, posy bowls, kitchenware and animal figures. The business was active until at least 1970. Wares are marked with the printed or impressed ‘Aldridge’ name.

Alicium Ceramics

c.1975–Active 2006

Manufacturer of earthenware and porcelain at St. Erth Praze, Hayle, Cornwall. Alicium Ceramics was established in about 1975 by Anthony Swanson and his family and manufactured a wide range of hand-decorated giftware and domestic pottery including kitchenware, tableware, teapots, bathroom wares, money boxes, figurines and animal models. Wares were slip-cast or hand built in earthenware or fine china.

Allander Pottery

1904–1908

A studio pottery established in 1908 at Milngavie, Glasgow, by Mr Hugh Allan. The pottery produced art ware decorated with metallic oxide glazes. The business closed in 1908.

Aller Pottery

1961–Active 1980s?

A studio pottery established by Bryan & Julie Newman in 1961 at Dulwich, London, and which operated at Aller, Somerset from 1966. The Aller Pottery produced ornamental earthenware, stoneware and sculptural pottery. It is believed the Pottery was still active in the 1980s. Wares are marked with an impressed ‘A’.

Aller Vale Art Pottery

1887–1901

Earthenware manufacturer at Newton Abbott (later at Torquay), Devon. The Aller Vale Art Pottery was established by John Phillips in 1887 and made general domestic earthenware and art pottery. Phillips died in 1897 and the business was acquired by clay merchants Hexter Humperson & Co. Ltd. In 1901 the new owners also purchased the nearby Watcombe Pottery and merged the two potteries under the style ‘Royal Aller Vale and Watcombe Pottery Co’. It appears that the Aller Vale pottery was closed in 1924, but the pottery at Watcombe continued under the same owners and name until closed in 1962 when rising costs made production uneconomic.

John Phillips was strongly influenced by the arts and crafts movement and in his ten years as owner of the pottery gave his potters and decorators great freedom in the production process. As a consequence, in addition to typical Devon motto ware made for the tourist trade, the pottery produced a wide range of vases and other ornamental pieces decorated in arts and crafts and art nouveau style. In 1890, an Italian artist Domenico Marcucci was appointed as Art Director and from this date the pottery adopted a more elaborate and Italianate style of decoration. The noted potter Charles Collard was apprenticed at the Aller Vale Pottery and worked there until 1902 before establishing his own pottery.

Wares are marked with the name ‘ALLER VALE’ and the ornamental wares are now keenly sought by collectors. See the entry for Royal Aller Vale & Watcombe Pottery Co.

Allerton (Charles Allerton & Sons)

Allertons Ltd

(1859–1912), 1912-1942

Manufacturer of china and earthenware at the Park Works, High St, Longton. Charles Allerton was a partner with Benjamin Brough and William Green in a pottery business from c.1833. The partnership ended in 1859 at which time it owned at least five pottery works and was a large and important manufacturer of mid-market china and earthenware. Charles Allerton continued the business with his sons (as Charles Allerton & Sons) until his death in 1863. Allerton’s four sons continued the business, however, by 1887 only William Allerton remained. From 1912 the business, incorporated as Allertons Ltd, was owned by Cauldon Ltd and from c.1920 by Cauldon Potteries Ltd. Following the receivership of the latter company in 1932, Allertons Ltd was purchased by George Jones & Sons Ltd and production moved to the Crescent Works. Production under the Allertons name is believed to have ceased during the Second World War.

Allertons specialised in tableware for the middle of the market. Lustre decoration was a speciality of the firm and Allertons also manufactured reproductions of 19th century wares decorated in the ‘Gaudy Welsh’ style. Trade names included ‘Allertons’ and ‘Old English’.

Allied English Potteries Ltd

1964–1971

Allied English Potteries Ltd was a pottery manufacturing, retailing and services group formed in 1964 through the merger of Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd and the Lawley Group Ltd. In 1964 Lawley Group Ltd (owned by Westminster Securities a subsidiary of the Pearson Group industrial conglomerate) purchased both Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Co. Ltd, and Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd. Following the latter acquisition, the much enlarged Lawley Group changed its name to Allied English Potteries Ltd from June 1964.

Allied English Potteries Ltd’s manufacturing subsidiaries included Ridgway Potteries Ltd, Swinnertons Ltd, Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Co. Ltd and Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd (plus the numerous subsidiaries of these companies). Shelley China Ltd was acquired in 1966 and in the same year the businesses of Shore & Coggins Ltd and Chapmans (Longton) Ltd (both subsidiaries of Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd) were closed to allow expansion of the more desirable Royal Albert and Paragon brands.

In November 1971 the Pearson Group purchase Doulton & Co. Ltd (‘Royal Doulton’) and in the consequent restructuring of ownership and shareholdings, Allied English Potteries Ltd became a subsidiary of Royal Doulton. From the 1st January 1973 the many Allied English Potteries businesses came under the banner of Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd. For further information see the entry for Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd.

Alloa Pottery

c.1790–1908

Earthenware manufacturer at Fife, Scotland. From the 1860s the Alloa pottery, under its owner Peter Gardiner, was an important maker of majolica using the local Alloa clays. Rockingham teapots, jet wares and tableware was also produced. The pottery closed in 1908.

Alpha Pottery

1955–?

A studio pottery established by Mr R. L. Creasy and Mr R. M. Creasy at Sidcup in Kent. The pottery produced ornamental ware, specialising in vases, table lamps, flowerpot holders and similar items.

Alsager Pottery

1978–Active 2009

A studio pottery founded by Kenneth and Ann Rogers at Talke St, Alsager, Stoke-on-Trent in 1978. The studio specialises in slip decorated, hand-thrown red ware including commemorative plates, door plaques, cradles, owl jugs, dishes, and ornamental items. The Alsager Pottery decorations are largely derived from the traditional Staffordshire slipware of the 17th to mid-19th century. The Pottery mark is a quartered circle.

Alton China Co. Ltd

1950–1957

Manufacturer of bone china figurines and animal and bird models at Kingcross St, Longton (Godden 1991).

Alton Towers Handcraft Pottery (Staffs) Ltd

c.1953–post-1970

Earthenware manufacturer at Alton Towers, Stoke-on-Trent. Alton Towers Handcraft Pottery was established in about 1953 by Mr Walter Harold Edwards. Mr Edwards died in 1959, however, the business was still active in 1970 under the control of his daughter Margaret J. Edwards and other partners. The company specialised in agate ornamental pottery—vases, dishes, lamp bases etc—and in agate pottery jewellery. Handcrafted slip-decorated and sgraffito wares were also produced.

Alvingham Pottery

1966–1980?

The Alvingham Pottery was established by Prudence Green at Alvingham, Lincolnshire, in 1966 and operated under her management until 1980 when she left to establish the Gwili Pottery, Wales. The pottery produced hand made earthenware.

Amison (Charles Amison (& Co.) (Ltd))

1889–1962

Bone china manufacturer at the Stanley China Works, Longton. The style was Charles Amison to c.1916, Charles Amison & Co. to 1930, and then Charles Amison & Co. Ltd from c.1930. The business produced tableware, fancies and floral china. The factory was closed from 1941 to 1945 under the wartime concentration scheme and was sold by the Amison family in 1951. The new owners, Mr Victor Wooldridge, Mr Joseph Austin and Mr H. Hulme were previously associated with the Floral China Co. Ltd of Longton and/or its successor Adderley Floral and Figurine Co. Ltd. The Amison business closed in 1962 due to the ill-health of the remaining directors Victor Wooldridge and Joseph Austin and the moulds for production of floral china were purchased by the Longton New Art Pottery Co. Ltd.

The Amison businesses produced bone china teaware, floral china and fancy china using the trade name ‘Stanley China’. Most marks include a crown and the ‘Stanley’ name. From c.1951 the trade name ‘Staffs Floral Bone China’ was used and this name was continued by the Longton New Art Pottery.

Anchor Porcelain Co. Ltd

1901–1918

Bone china manufacturer at the Anchor Pottery, Longton. The business was previously that of Thomas Morris (c.1897-1901). Anchor Porcelain used the trade name ‘Royal Westminster China’.

Anchor Pottery

1966–?

A studio pottery established by John Buchanan in 1966 at Hayle, Cornwall. Buchanan left the Arch Pottery of Anthony Richards in 1966 to establish his own business at Hayle. The Pottery has, since 1971, operated at other locations, producing domestic ware and ornamental art wares in both stoneware and porcelain. The Pottery used an anchor mark and studio wares are marked with the initials JB.

Anton (John Anton Ltd)

1963–1974

Bone china manufacturer at Sutherland Place, Longton and, post-1970, at 493 King St, Longton. Jon Anton Ltd was established in 1963 by brothers Alan A. Taylor and Eric. J. Taylor for the manufacture of floral china arrangements, bone china jewellery and giftware. In 1968 Jon Anton became the sole distributor for the tableware manufactured at the Co-operative Wholesale Society’s Crown Clarence (earthenware and ironstones) and Windsor (bone china) factories. Jon Anton Ltd acquired the CWS earthenware (Crown Clarence) business as a going concern in February 1971 and began producing attractive ironstone tableware under the Jon Anton name. The Jon Anton assets were acquired in March 1974 by Barker Ellis Silver Co., a silverware and giftware manufacturer and the owner of Hudson & Middleton Ltd. In 1975 Barker Ellis closed their Hudson & Middleton factory and transferred production of Royal Sutherland bone china to the Jon Anton works.

Appin Pottery

1973–1987

A studio pottery established in 1973 by Joseph Fitch at Appin, near Oban, north-western Scotland. Joe Fitch studied pottery under his father Raymond Fitch at the latter’s Winchcombe Pottery. In 1973 he and wife Trudi Fitch moved to Scotland to establish their own pottery at Appin. In the following years they travelled extensively, taught at Appin and elsewhere and produced domestic and art stoneware from a self-built wood-fired kiln. In 1983 or 1984 the Fitches moved to North Wales, however, they maintained the Appin Pottery as a going concern until the site’s sale in 1987. The Joe Fitch ceramics produced at Appin are essentially functional stoneware manufactured for everyday use.

Arch Pottery

1955–1967

A studio pottery established in 1955 by Anthony Richards and Peter Woolcock at St Ives, Cornwall. The Arch Pottery was closed in c.1967 when Anthony and Christiane Richards moved to the larger Penderleath Pottery. The Arch Pottery produced handmade kitchenware and tableware including mugs, jugs, bowls and coffee sets.

Argyll Pottery

1988–Active 2009

The Argyll Pottery was established by Alan Gaff in 1988 near Oban in the north-west of Scotland. Gaff trained under Joseph Fitch at the nearby Appin Pottery and from 1984 to 1987 managed the Appin Pottery on Fitch’s behalf. Following the sale of the Appin site in 1987 Gaff established his own Argyll Pottery ‘just down the road’ at Barcaldine where he remained until his accidental death in September 2008.

The Argyll Pottery produces domestic and ornamental stoneware much in the tradition of the Appin and Winchcombe Pottery wares. All of the stoneware is fired in a wood-fired kiln used for its varied glaze effects. The domestic wares include tableware and kitchenware and are complemented by ornamental stoneware vases and an increasing output of individual artware. Since about 2002 the Pottery has also manufactured ornamental wares in a translucent porcelain body. The pottery’s mark is a circular seal with a central Scots Pine and the pottery name.

Aristocrat Florals and Fancies

1956–Post 1979

Manufacturer of floral china and porcelain jewellery (brooches, earrings, etc) at the Heathcote Works, Heathcote Rd, Longton. The business was founded in 1956 by Mr & Mrs J. S. Everill and partners, but from 1958 until c.1971 was controlled by Mr J. S. Everill and Mrs M. Harwood. From the early 1970s the business appears to have operated under the name Crown Sussex Ltd, managed by Marjorie Emery, however, advertisements for floral china in Tableware International in 1976 and 1979 refer to the business as ‘Aristocrat China’ and ‘Aristocrat Florals and Jewellery’ respectively. Aristocrat produced handmade floral porcelain posies, brooches and earrings. In 1974 over 95% of production was exported to North America.

Arkinstall & Sons (Ltd)

1904–1924 (?)

Manufacturer of bone china crested souvenirs, miniatures, ornamental china and, possibly, domestic china at the Trent Bridge Pottery and at the Arcadian Works, Stoke-on-Trent. Arkinstall & Sons Ltd was established by Harold Taylor Robinson in 1904 as his first independent pottery enterprise. Arkinstall became a subsidiary of J. A. Robinson & Sons Ltd in about 1912 and from 1920 the business was active as a subsidiary of the Robinson controlled Cauldon Potteries Ltd.

The Arkinstall business appears to have continued as a unit of Cauldon Potteries Ltd until about 1939. Arkinstall was an important producer of crested china souvenir ware in imitation of the Goss crested wares. Robinson had been a partner in crested china manufacturers Wiltshaw & Robinson Ltd in the early years of the 20th century and Arkinstall specialised in this line of business. Within a few years of its founding Arkinstall was producing an enormous range of crested miniatures sold in shops, markets and souvenir stalls throughout the United Kingdom under the trade name ‘Arcadian China’. Arkinstall probably also produced some domestic china.

Arklow Pottery

1934–1999

Earthenware manufacturer at South Quay, Arklow, County Wicklow, Ireland. Arklow Pottery was established in 1934. The company was taken over in the 1990s by Japanese ceramics giant Noritake, but the business closed in April 1999. Arklow produced domestic earthenware and hotelware including dinnerware and tea and coffee sets, often drawing on traditional Irish themes for its decoration. The ‘Tree of Life’ earthenware range released in 1972 used motifs from the Book of Kells.

Art Pottery Co.

1900–1911

Earthenware manufacturer at the Anchor Works, Hanley. From 1911 the business was known as Cooper’s Art Pottery Co. For further information see the entry for Cooper’s Art Pottery Co.

Artone Pottery

1946–?

Manufacturer of bone china fancies and figurines at Burslem.

Asbury (Edward Asbury & Co.)

1875–1925

Manufacturer of earthenware and bone china at the Prince of Wales Works, Longton. The Asbury business made domestic and ornamental china and earthenware.

Ashby Potters’ Guild

c.1909–1922

Earthenware manufacturer at Woodville, Derbyshire. The Ashby Potters’ Guild was established in about 1909 by Pascoe Tunnicliff to manufacture ornamental earthenware alongside his family’s domestic pottery business. A stained glass artist, Thomas Camm, was responsible for design and the colourful art glazes were developed by Tunnicliff himself. The business combined with that of William Ault in about 1922 and was subsequently known as Ault and Tunnicliffe Ltd. For further information see the entry for Ault Potteries Ltd. Wares are marked with a simple oval seal containing the words ‘Ashby Guild’.

Ashdale Pottery Products Ltd

?–Active 2009

Stoneware manufacturer at Ashdale House, King St, Longton. Ashdale Pottery Products Ltd is a maker of stoneware mugs, coffee pots, etc. The business is currently (2009) run by Mr James Colclough. Items have an impressed mark ‘Ashdale Pottery Products’.

Ashley Fine Bone China

1980s?–Active 2009

Manufacturer of bone china mugs and giftware at Birches Head Rd, Hanley. Ashley Fine Bone China is a specialist maker of bone china mugs. Decorative themes include nature, pastimes, birds, animals, flowers etc. Apart from mugs, Ashley produces bone china plaques, bells, plates, figurines, sporting memorabilia and religious artefacts.

Ashtead Potters Ltd

1923–1935

Studio potter and earthenware manufacturer at the Victoria Works, Ashtead, Surrey. Ashtead Potters Ltd was established in 1923 by Sir Lawrence Weaver to provide employment for ex-servicemen disabled during the First World War. Weaver was President of the ‘Design and Industries Association’ and through this connection was able to draw on the services of prominent designers including Phoebe Stabler of Carter, Stabler and Adams and the noted art deco designer Percy Metcalf.

The economic impact of the Great Depression and the death of Weaver in 1935 led to the closure of the Pottery in January 1935. Despite the initial lack of pottery manufacturing expertise, the Ashtead wares are of good quality and complement the work of the external designers Weaver employed. At its peak the Pottery employed about 40 ex-servicemen and produced ornamental art deco-styled wares that are now rare and highly sought.

The major products of Ashtead Potters Ltd were domestic earthenware, kitchenware, ornamental wares and figurines, but it also produced advertising ware, nursery ware (including Winnie-the-Pooh’ character milk jugs), and even caricatures of prominent political figures. Wares are marked with the name ‘Ashtead Potters’, the words separated by a tree.

Ashworth (G. L. Ashworth & Bros (Ltd))

1860–1968 (Inc. 1914)

Manufacturer of ironstone china and earthenware. G. L. Ashworth & Bros (i.e. Brothers) was formed on 4th August 1860 when George Ashworth (senior) bought the ‘Mason’s Ironstone China’ pottery business being run by Francis Morley and Ashworth’s son, Taylor Ashworth. Francis Morley had purchased the famous Mason’s ‘Ironstone China’ patent, the engraving plates and the moulds at the liquidation sale of Charles James Mason’s business in 1851. Morley then continued production of ‘Patent Ironstone China’ using Mason’s hardwearing body and well known traditional patterns. In 1855 Morley took his son-in-law, Taylor Ashworth, into the business and on Morley’s retirement in about 1860, George Ashworth purchased the business for the benefit of his sons George, James and Taylor Ashworth, naming it G. L. Ashworth & Bros.

The Ashworth family continued the business until 1883 when the loss of their fortune in the collapse of the Lancashire woollen industry forced the sale of the pottery business. John Shaw Goddard was the purchaser and he continued to use the well known Ashworth and Mason’s names. The business was incorporated in 1914 when Goddard’s son, John Vivian Goddard became a director. He succeeded to the business in 1919 on the retirement of his father, but at some point in the 1920s G. L. Ashworth & Bros Ltd became a subsidiary of Harold Taylor Robinson’s Cauldon Potteries Ltd of which John V. Goddard was also a director. Cauldon Potteries Ltd was placed in receivership in 1932 and John Goddard repurchased G. L. Ashworth & Bros. Ltd from the receiver continuing the business as G. L. Ashworth & Bros Ltd until his death in 1962. Family control of the business continued under his son John Stringer Goddard and in March 1968 the family renamed the company Mason’s Ironstone China Ltd.

  1. L. Ashworth & Bros produced domestic earthenware, but is best known for its Mason’s Patent Ironstone China ware. The range is vast, including ornamental ware, toiletware, dinner and teaware, architectural forms, jugs, bowls etc. Most ‘Mason’s’ ware is decorated in oriental patterns, much in the bright iron-red, cobalt blue and gold imari palette. There are numerous ‘Ashworth’ marks, the most common a crown with the Ashworth Bros. name above and a ribbon beneath, this mark was used from c.1860 to well into the 20th century (i.e. well beyond the Ashworth family connection). More widely known, however, is the famous ‘Mason’s’ mark of a crown, surmounted by ‘MASON’S’ with a broad banner below inscribed ‘PATENT IRONSTONE CHINA’ (or similar). The mark dates from the 1820s or earlier and variants were used by C. J. Mason, Francis Morley, G. L. Ashworth & Bros Ltd, Mason’s Ironstone China Ltd, and even by Wedgwood in the 21st century.

Most of the Mason’s ironstone china ware bears a pattern number that allows it to be accurately dated. Masons Ironstone China Ltd became part of the Wedgwood Group in 1973 and for details of its recent history refer to the entry for Mason’s Ironstone China Ltd.

Atlas China Co. Ltd

1906–1910

China manufacturer at the Atlas Works, Stoke-on-Trent. The business was taken over by Grimwades Ltd in about 1910 (1906?). Grimwades revived the ‘Atlas China’ name for a short period in the 1930s.

Ault & Tunnicliff Ltd

Ault Potteries Ltd

(1923–1937), 1937–post-1970

Earthenware manufacturer at Swadlincote, Burton-on-Trent. William Ault established his pottery in Swadlincote, Staffordshire, in 1887 following a brief partnership with Henry Tooth at the Bretby Art Pottery at nearby Woodville. The business was known as the Ault Pottery or Ault Fatience Pottery and it continued until William Ault’s retirement in 1922. The business was amalgamated with that of the Ashby Potters’ Guild (Woodville, Derbyshire) in 1923 and the new concern traded as Ault and Tunnicliff Ltd until 1937 when the style changed to Ault Potteries Ltd. The latter business was acquired by Pearson & Co. (Chesterfield) Ltd (pre-1969) and Ault Potteries Ltd was still trading as an associate company of the Pearson Group in 1971.

William Ault and the successor businesses produced ornamental earthenware and art pottery and were known for spectacular coloured glazes. Much of the decoration was done by Ault’s daughters Clarissa and Gertrude Ault and some of the designs were the work of the designer Charles Dresser who was also associated with the Linthorpe Pottery. Following the acquisition by Pearson & Co., Ault Potteries Ltd produced domestic earthenware (especially kitchenware), garden ware, cemetery vases and art pottery. A monogram ‘AP’ or ‘APL’ appears on the Ault art wares. From 1923–1937 the name ‘Aultcliff’ was used as a trade mark.

Australian Pottery

c.1856–post-1920

Earthenware manufacturer at Ferrybridge (Knottingly), Yorkshire. The Australian Pottery was established by Mr Lewis Woolf, a London pottery merchant, in about 1856. The pottery was adjacent to Woolf’s Ferrybridge Pottery and the business was run under the name Lewis Woolf & Sons. Woolf leased the pottery to the brothers Joseph, William and John Home in 1883 and in 1899 they acquired the freehold title, trading as Home Bros. The business was acquired by the C0operative Wholesale Society Ltd in 1920 and subsequently, date uncertain, was resold and the pottery decommissioned. The name ‘Australian Pottery’ apparently referred to the Lewis Woolf’s intention to manufacture earthenware for the Australian market.

Avalon Pottery

1963–1981

A studio pottery established in 1963 at Trethevy, Cornwall by Jack Boundy. The pottery moved to Tintagel in about 1970 and closed in 1981. The pottery produced handmade tableware and general earthenware.

Avon Art Pottery Ltd

1930–post-1962

Earthenware manufacturer at the Jubilee Works, Longton. The Jubilee Works was sold to Ridgway Potteries Ltd in 1961 and the Avon Art Pottery business continued at Edensor Rd, Longton, in the former premises of its associate company Elektra Porcelain Co. Ltd. Avon Art Pottery produced domestic earthenware, tableware, ornamental ware and teapots using the ‘Avon Ware’ trade name.

Avoncroft Pottery

1950(?)–Closed 1970s

A studio pottery established in about 1950 at Avoncroft, Worcestershire, by Geoffrey Whiting. The pottery was moved to Hampton Lovett, Worcestershire, in 1955 and was closed in the 1970s. Geoffrey Whiting produced art pottery now regarded as highly collectible. Wares are marked with an impressed ‘A’ and/or with an impressed ‘GW’ initial.

Axe Vale Pottery (Devon) Ltd

Axe Vale & Beer Pottery (Devon) Ltd.

1959–Post-1970

Earthenware manufacturer at ‘The Meadows’, Beer (Seaton), Devon. This pottery, owned and run by T. & W. K. Sherriff, produced garden ware, ornamental pottery, tableware accessories and architectural pottery. Active 1970.

Aylesford Priory Pottery

1954–Active 2005

A pottery established by David Leach at the Aylesford Priory in 1954 and run by the Priory producing ornamental and useful stoneware. In the 1970s, the pottery was operated by Colin Pearson who produced stoneware tableware.

Aynsley (H. Aynsley & Co. (Ltd))

1869–post-1970 (Inc. 1932)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Commerce Works, Commerce St, Longton. The business was established as H. Aynsley & Co. by John Aynsley in about 1869 (or 1873) for the benefit of his second and third sons Herbert James and Henry Aynsley. One of the Aynsleys’ partners in the venture, Frederick John Ridgway, purchased the business in about 1919 and continued its management until his death in 1939. The Commerce Works were vacated from 1941-45 under the wartime concentration scheme, but the business continued from the Empire Works of Empire Porcelain Co. Ltd. The company was acquired by Rudolph Asher Ltd, a London-based shipping business in 1952.

  1. Aynsley Ltd was an important manufacturer of general domestic earthenware. An advertisement in the Pottery Gazette in 1971 lists the company’s products as domestic tableware, fancies, teapots, souvenirs and hotel and catering ware.

Aynsley (John Aynsley & Sons Ltd)

1857–1970 (Inc. 1933)

Bone china manufacturer at the Portland Works, Sutherland Rd, Longton. The Aynsley business was started by John Aynsley in about 1857 as a partnership with Samuel Bridgwood trading as John Aynsley & Co. The partnership operated first at Bridgwood’s Anchor Works and then (from c.1861) at the purpose-built Portland Works. The partnership with Samuel Bridgwood ended in 1863. By 1880 the Aynsley business was advertising as ‘John Aynsley & Sons’ and continued under this style until incorporated in 1933 as John Aynsley & Sons Ltd.

John Aynsley died in 1907, but active management of the business appears to have passed to John Gerrard Aynsley (one of three sons) in the early 1880s. On his death in 1924, his son Kenneth Aynsley became Chairman and managing director and remained so until the sale of the company in 1970 to Waterford Crystal. The company was then renamed Aynsley China Ltd.

John Aynsley & Sons Ltd was known for its high quality tableware, commissioned productions and, in the 20th century, for its giftware. Both the body and decoration are to the highest standards and the Aynsley wares are widely collected. The base mark is a crown above a banner bearing the word ‘AYNSLEY’, but there are many variations.

Aynsley China Ltd

1971–Active 2009

Manufacturer of bone china tableware, fancy china and giftware at the Portland Works, Sutherland Rd, Stoke-on -Trent. John Aynsley & Sons Ltd, the Aynsley family-controlled and managed business, was purchased by Waterford Crystal in November 1970 and renamed Aynsley China Ltd. Kenneth Aynsley, grandson of the company’s founder, continued as Chairman of the new company until 1973 and remained a director until his death in 1975. As part of Waterford Crystal, the company’s Portland Works were modernised, new factories acquired and production of Aynsley china greatly expanded.

The company traded as part of Waterford Crystal until the merger of Waterford Crystal and Josiah Wedgwood & Sons Ltd in 1987. Following the merger, Aynsley China Ltd was bought by its management under Chairman Geoffrey Deith, however, after 10 years of independence, the company was acquired by the Belleek Pottery in 1997. Aynsley China Ltd is now part of the Belleek giftware group that includes the Belleek, Donegal Parian China and Galwey Irish Crystal brand names.

The original Portland Works is still the manufacturing base for Aynsley China Ltd. Aynsley China Ltd continues as a manufacturer of high quality bone china tableware and giftware.

Aynsleys (Longton) Ltd

Aynsleys (Longton) 1933 Ltd

(1914–1933), 1933–?

Earthenware manufacturer at the Royal Art Pottery, Longton. Anysleys (Longton) Ltd was established in 1914 and the business was re-named Aynsleys (Longton) 1933 Ltd in 1933. The paramount director at the time was Douglas H. Aynsley the eldest son of Henry Aynsley, and grandson of John Aynsley. The later history of the company is obscure, but it may have been associated with the Clough Group’s Royal Art Pottery from c.1940 on. Aynsleys (Longton) Ltd produced inexpensive ornamental pottery including pedestals, flower pots, bulb bowls, vases, fancies of all sorts, animal models, kitchenware and other utilitarian earthenware. Cellulose finished wares were a speciality of the business.

Ayshford (C. Ayshford Ltd)

?–Active 1971

Decorator of bone china and earthenware at the Marie Pottery, Ayshford Rd, Longton.

Ayshford China Ltd

?–Active 2009

Manufacturer of bone china giftware at the Islington Works, Railway Pass, Stoke. Ayshford are a maker of decorative bone china thimbles and other fancy goods.