Saccata – Szeiler

Scroll to locate a company on the list, click to view.

Company name
2
3

Saccata Ltd

1974–?

Manufacturer of floral china, figurines and giftware in bone china. Saccata Ltd operated from Longton and used the trade name ‘Lea Florals’ on its floral china.

Sadler (James Sadler & Sons (Ltd))

c.1899–2000

Manufacturer of earthenware teapots at the Wellington and Central Potteries, Market Place, Burslem. James Sadler started his business, Sadler & Co., in 1882 at Reginald St, Burslem, moving to the Wellington Pottery, Newport St, Burslem, in about 1899. Sadler’s sons Edward, John and E. J. Sadler joined the business and it was renamed James Sadler & Sons Ltd in about 1899. In 1920 the business moved to the Central Pottery at Market Place, Burslem, where John Sadler had a separate business. The Wellington Pottery was closed and the two family businesses merged at the renamed Wellington and Central Pottery. Edward Sadler died in 1955, but the business was continued by John and E. J. Sadler, and then by Edward Sadler’s sons Peter and Neil Sadler.

In 1999 the business underwent a major restructure occasioned by falling export and domestic sales. Product lines were reduced from 850 to 340 and continuing lines redesigned and rebranded, even so, the business failed and it was placed in receivership in March 2000. The Sadler brand name, designs and archives were purchased by Churchill China and Churchill have subsequently continued the Sadler name on teapots for the collectors’ market and on fine china.

Sadler was primarily a specialist manufacturer of plain and fancy teapots, but the company also produced art pottery, kitchenware (under the ‘Kleen’ brand), vases, giftware and novelties. It also manufactured for the catering and hotel trade. Marks include the name or initials, and from c.1947 the name ‘Sadler’ on a banner below a crown.

Salisbury Crown China Co.

Salisbury China Co.

(c.1927–1949), 1949–1961

Bone china manufacturer at the Salisbury Works, Longton. Salisbury Crown China Co. was founded by Leslie H. Bradley in about 1927. The business changed its name to Salisbury China Co. in 1949 and in November 1961 the business was purchased by Royal Stafford China (or by another of the companies in the Thomas Poole group) and operated as a subsidiary of Thomas Poole and Gladstone China Ltd. The company became part of the Alfred Clough group of companies following the 1973 sale of the Thomas Poole & Gladstone China Ltd pottery interests to Alfred Clough Limited. Salisbury China Co. manufactured tableware and used the trade names ‘Salisbury China’ and ‘Royal York’. The Salisbury China Co. marks are varied in form, but include the ‘Salisbury’ or ‘Royal York’ trade names.

Salopian Decorative Art Pottery Co.

1882–c.1926

Earthenware manufacturer at Brosley, Shropshire. The Salopian Art Pottery was an associate of, or successor to, the Benthall Pottery Co., a maker of utilitarian earthenware. Art pottery of a high standard was produced from the early-1880 until c.1926 when the business ceased production of art wares and returned to the manufacture of industrial earthenware. Art wares are marked with a simple impressed ‘SALOPIAN’.

Salt & Nixon (Ltd)

1901–1934

Bone china manufacturers at the Gordon Pottery (to 1910) and the Jubilee Works, Longton. The initials ‘S&N’ and/or the ‘Salon China’ trade name appear in the company’s marks.

Salt Bros

1897–1904

Earthenware manufacturer at the Brownhills Pottery, Tunstall.

Sandlands & Colley Ltd

1907–1910 (c.1913)

Manufacturer of earthenware and bone china at the Lichfield Pottery, Hanley. The business was continued by W. Sandland alone to about 1913 (Godden 1991).

Sandygate Pottery Ltd

1950–?

Earthenware manufacturer at St. Michael’s Works, Kingsteignton, Newton Abbott, Devon. The Sandygate Pottery was established by T. D. and W. M. Murphy in 1950. The pottery initially produced ornamental wares and earthenware table fancies using a red clay body and clear glaze. Production soon changed to slip-cast domestic earthenware—tea sets, teapots, kitchenware—and fancy earthenware including animal models, souvenirs and giftware made using a conventional earthenware body. Most wares are marked with a circular seal containing the name and ‘Devon, England’.

Sefton & Brown

1897–1919 (1926?)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Ferrybridge Pottery, Knottingley, Yorkshire. The Ferrybridge Pottery, originally the Knottingley Pottery, was established in 1793 and had many owners and even more leaseholders. Sefton & Brown took over occupancy of the pottery from T. & E. L. Poulsen in 1897 and the partnership ended in 1919 when the works were taken over by T. Brown & Sons Ltd (elsewhere the date of transfer is given as 1926). Sefton & Brown were manufacturers of transfer printed domestic earthenware for local markets.

Seven Springs Pottery

1964–2001

A studio pottery established in 1964 at Ashwell, Hertfordshire, by Marie Whitby. Marie Whitby modelled individual figures and figure groups and developed a significant business modelling figures to order. She retired in 2001 and the business closed.

Sevenoaks Pottery

1958–1961

See the entry for the Langton Pottery.

Sharp (David Sharp Pottery)

1964–Active 2009

Manufacturer of tableware, giftware and animal models at Rye, Sussex. David Sharp established his pottery at Rye in 1964. Initially the Pottery was not successful, but by the late 1960s Sharp had become well known for his wall plaques and animal models, many of the latter in the form of money boxes. In the early 1970s the demand for wall plaques became so great that a separate company, the Rye Plaque Company Ltd was formed to develop the business. Sharp entered into a venture with Michael Doulton in the early-1970s to produce tableware, but it was not successful and ended in 1973. More successful were Sharp’s animal models and in 1974 chemical company Bayer commissioned a sheep model to use in company promotion. Other commissions followed and Sharp’s ‘Buccaneers of Britain’ Toby Jugs are now very desirable.

David Sharp is best known for his bird, animal, fish, and grotesque figure sculptures produced from the 1960s until his death in 1993. The Pottery has been continued by his family and was still active in 2009.

Sharpe Bros & Co.

1821–1967

Earthenware manufacturer at Swadlincote, Derbyshire. The pottery was established in 1821 by Thomas Sharpe and originally produced ordinary domestic earthenware using the local yellow clay. The pottery produced a wide range of domestic earthenware including teapots, jugs, mugs, tablewares and ornamental earthenware. Sanitary ware was an important product from the mid-19th century. The Pottery closed in 1967, but was re-opened in 2003 as Sharpe’s Pottery Centre and Museum following extensive restoration of the heritage buildings.

Shaw (George Shaw & Sons (Ltd))

1887–1948

Earthenware manufacturer at the Holmes Pottery, Rotherham, Yorkshire.

Shaw & Sons

Shaw (John Shaw & Sons (Ltd))

Shaw (John Shaw & Sons (Longton) Ltd)

1933–1963

Manufacturer of earthenware and china at the Willow Pottery, Warren St, and the Warwick Works, Chadwick St, Longton. Formerly John Shaw & Sons Ltd, the business became John Shaw & Sons (Longton) Ltd in 1933 and traded under this name until the business closed in 1963. The Shaw family businesses made good quality, mid-market, tableware and domestic earthenware using the ‘Burlington Ware’ name. Typical cottage ware tableware was advertised in the Pottery Gazette in 1955.

Shaw & Copestake (Ltd)

1894–1982 (Inc. 1936)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Drury Works and Sylvan Works, Longton, and at the Falcon Works, Longton (from c.1941-1945). William Shaw and William Copestake founded the firm in about 1894. Copestake was replaced in the partnership by Richard Hull in 1895 and the two partners continued their successful association until Richard Hull’s death in 1935. Hull’s son, also Richard Hull, joined the business in 1924 and, after taking his father’s place in the partnership, became joint managing director of the newly incorporated business, Shaw & Copestake Ltd, in 1936.

In 1938 Hull purchased Thomas Lawrence (Longton) Ltd, the business of his former father-in-law, and three years later in 1941 the two firms were concentrated at Lawrence’s Falcon Pottery releasing the Sylvan Works for war time purposes. William Shaw retired in 1943 leaving Hull as owner and manager of both companies. Post-war, the two businesses jointly built and occupied (1957) a new factory in Normacot Rd and in 1962 the Thomas Lawrence business was finally folded into that of Shaw & Copestake Ltd.

The business went into voluntary liquidation in 1982 and the famous name, the plant and equipment, and the earthenware moulds were purchased by the North Midland Co-operative Society and leased to a worker co-operative known as Longton Ceramics. SylvaC and Falcon Ware designs continued to be produced by the new operators. The North Midland Co-operative Society (renamed United Cooperative Society) assumed control of Longton Ceramics in 1984 when the workers’ cooperative encountered financial difficulties. To mark the transition, the name was changed to Crown Winsor, but the latter business closed in 1989.

Shaw & Copestake produced utilitarian and ornamental earthenware including jugs and vases, garden pottery and toilet sets. Use of a cellulose finish in place of the more usual glaze was a speciality of the firm. In the 1920s and 1930s production of ornamental earthenware expanded. Art deco shaped vases were produced in a characteristic matt glaze developed by Richard Hull. Animal models were first produced in the late-1920s and, covered in the same matt glazed, these are now one of the concern’s most well recognised products. Post-1945 Shaw & Copestake continued, and even expanded, their already substantial range of utilitarian earthenware for the home and garden. Smokers ware, table accessories, figurines, vases, lamp bases, mugs, teapots, garden ornaments, book ends, jewellery boxes and much more made up the range. Animal models also continued as an important product. The well known script ‘SylvaC’ mark was introduced in 1936. For further information see the entries for Longton Ceramics and Crown Winsor.

Shelleys

1925–1929

Manufacturer of bone china and earthenware at the Foley Works, Fenton. Formerly Wileman & Co. The Shelley family business briefly adopted the name ‘Shelleys’ in the period from 1925 until 1929 when the company name was changed to Shelly Potteries Ltd. See the following entry for further information.

Shelley Potteries Ltd

1929–1965

Manufacturer of bone china and earthenware at the Foley Potteries, Fenton. Formerly Shelleys (1925–1929). After trading briefly as Shelleys, Percy Shelly took his three sons into the business and incorporated his company in 1929 as Shelley Potteries Ltd. Directors of the new company were Percy Shelley and his three sons Kenneth, Victor and Norman Shelley. Kenneth Shelley died in 1933 and following the death of Percy Shelly in 1937, the business was managed by Victor and Norman Shelley. The company continued in production as a ‘nucleus company’ throughout the Second World War, assuming responsibility for the production of Jackson & Gosling Ltd (Grosvenor China) and absorbing the business of H. M. Williamson & Sons Ltd.

Victor Shelley died in 1946, but his sons Alan and Donald Shelley entered the business in 1946 and 1948 respectively. Post-war, Shelley Potteries Ltd re-structured, ceasing production of earthenware, modernising the two factories and producing, for the first time, bone china dinnerware. In 1965 the company name was changed to Shelley China Ltd to more accurately reflect the company’s image as a producer of fine china.

The Shelley businesses are best known for their high quality bone china tea and coffee wares produced in an abundance of shapes and decorations from the turn of the century. The art deco shapes and patterns produced in the early 1930s are widely collected, as is the nursery ware decorated with designs by Mabel Lucy Attwell. Her first designs were produced in 1926 and Attwell was still designing for the company in the 1950s. The Shelley mark from c.1925 has been a script ‘Shelley’ enclosed within a shield. For the pre-1925 history of the Shelley business, see the entry for Wileman & Co; and for the later business of Shelly China Ltd, see the entry below.

Shelley China Ltd

1965–1966

Shelley Potteries Ltd changed its name to Shelley China Ltd in May 1965. Control and management of the company did not change at the time, but Norman Shelley died one year later in May 1966 and family control of the business ceased shortly afterwards with the purchase of the share capital by Allied English Potteries Ltd in August 1966. Allied English Potteries phased out use of the Shelley name and converted the Foley China Works (renamed as the Montrose Works) to production of its Royal Albert bone china. See the entry for Shelly Potteries Ltd.

Shenton (J. H. Shenton Ltd)

1930s–1940s ?

Earthenware manufacturer at the George St Pottery, Tunstall. This firm ceased production in 1941 under the wartime Concentration Scheme and was concentrated with Booths Ltd at the Church Bank Pottery. Production recommenced in 1946. Shenton manufactured general domestic earthenware, but also produced some art wares.

Shirley (Jesse Shirley & Son Ltd)

1820–2009

Manufacturer of bone ash, clays and other supplies for the pottery industry. Jesse Shirley & Son Ltd, Lower Bedford St, Etruria, is a subsidiary of Jesse Shirley Ltd and has been a supplier of bone ash, clays and other pottery consumables since its foundation in 1820. It has been supplier to Wedgwood since 1837. Jesse Shirley Ltd acquired Hudson & Middleton (Longton) Ltd in 1982, continuing the historic company’s bone china manufacturing business, but also giving the bone ash and clay supplier the ability to test new bodies and clay formulations in a mid-size commercial pottery.

Jesse Shirley & Son Ltd was placed in administration in January 2009 when the collapse of Jesse Shirley’s largest customer Waterford Wedgwood plc left it with bad debts and much reduced demand for clay products. The company emerged from administration in February 2009 with its sale to an international investment company. It was announced that the company would continue to trade under its own name from the same Etruria address and with the existing management including managing director Michael Shirley.

Shore (J. Shore & Co.)

Shore, Coggins & Holt

Shore & Coggins (Ltd)

(1887–1905, 1905–1911), 1911–1966

China manufacturer at the Edensor Works, Longton. The Shore & Coggins businesses began as J. Shore & Co. in 1887, the proprietors being John Shore and William Coggins. The business became Shore, Coggins & Holt in 1905 and from 1911 to 1918 traded as Shore & Coggins. William Coggins died in 1918 and John Shore then sold the business, including the Edensor Works, to Thomas C. Wild & Sons. Wild incorporated and greatly expanded the business producing good quality china ware under the ‘Bell China’ trade name. The ‘Queen Anne’ and ‘Princess Anne’ trade names were introduced following the Second World War. The business continued, as part of the Wild Group and then as part of Allied English Potteries Ltd, until 1966 when Allied English Potteries Ltd re-organised the Wild companies, closing Shore & Coggins Ltd.

Shore & Coggins were large scale makers of bone china tableware for the middle of the market using the ‘Bell China’, ‘Queen Anne’ and ‘Princess Anne’ trade names. The ‘Bell China’ trade name was used from c.1911 until 1966 the ‘Queen Anne’ name was retained by Allied English Potteries Ltd and was still in use by Royal Doulton in 1981. There are numerous Shore & Coggins Ltd marks, but neither the company name nor the initials appear in marks from the mid-1930s on.

Shorter & Boulton

c.1878–1905

Earthenware manufacturer at Copeland St, Stoke. See entry for Shorter & Son Ltd.

Shorter & Son (Ltd)

1900(?)–1964 (Inc. 1933)

Earthenware manufacturer at Copeland St, Stoke. The Shorter business was established by Arthur Shorter in about 1872 as a partnership with James Bolton. From 1891 to 1897 the business was run by James Bolton and from 1897-1900 by his son William Bolton (Arthur Shorter had left in 1891 to manage of the Burslem business of his brother-in-law A. J. Wilkinson). In 1900 Arthur Shorter’s younger son John Guy Shorter became the manager and the partnership of Shorter & Son probably dates from this time. In 1905 John Shorter also left to join his father and elder brother Arthur C. A. Shorter at A. J. Wilkinson Ltd. The business had various managers from 1905, but in 1932 Harry L. Steele was appointed manager and in the following year the business was incorporated as Shorter & Son Ltd with brothers Arthur ‘Colley’ Austin Shorter and John Guy Shorter, and Harry L. Steele as the directors. Harry Steele was to manage the business for the next 30 years.

Shorter & Son Ltd remained in production throughout the Second World War and was a successful and prolific producer of good quality domestic earthenware during the 1950s and 1960s. The business remained in the control of the Shorter family until Clarice Cliff-Shorter disposed of her interests in the group in 1964. Shorter & Son Ltd was sold to S. Fielding and Co. Ltd owners of the Crown Devon name while A. J. Wilkinson Ltd and the Newport Pottery Co. Ltd were sold to W. R. Midwinter Ltd.

Shorter & Sons Ltd was a specialist manufacturer of ornamental and novelty earthenware. To quote an article in the Pottery Gazette (March 1941) ‘There are literally thousands of high-quality earthenware novelty lines covering all table adjuncts and every conceivable household pottery novelty—cleverly modelled and effectively decorated’. The novelties included Toby Jugs, tobacco jars, ash trays, sugars, creams, cruets, butter dishes, posy holders etc. The pre-1920 Shorter wares included majolica ware, jugs and undistinguished domestic earthenware in addition to the novelties and ornamental earthenware.

Following the death of Arthur Shorter in 1926 the burgeoning influence of Clarice Cliff began to influence the design of products from all three companies in the Shorter group and there is some attractive art deco-style Shorter tableware. In addition to the Clarice Cliff influence, Mabel Leigh designed for Shorter & Son from 1933(?) to 1935. ‘Period Pottery’ based on ethnic designs from the Mediterranean, Africa and Central America dates from this period. In the 1950s and 1960s Shorter & Son Ltd manufactured good quality domestic earthenware and the cottage ware and ‘Fishware’ of this period are of note. Batavia Ware and Sunray Pottery are other Shorter trade names. Most marks include the ‘Shorter’ name. The diversity and quality of the Shorter wares is probably under-appreciated.

Sibley Pottery (Ltd)

1922–1962

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at Wareham, Dorset.

Simpsons (Potters) Ltd

1944–c.1976

Earthenware manufacturer at the Elder Works, Cobridge. The Soho Pottery Ltd, jointly owned and managed by brothers Samuel and Thomas Simpson, changed its name to Simpsons (Potters) Ltd in May 1944. Samuel Simpson died in 1944 and the ownership and management of the business was continued by Thomas Simpson and, from 1947, by his son Robert W. Simpson. The Elder Rd Works were extensively modernised following the end of the war and the company were prominent manufacturers and exporters of mid-range earthenware in the 1950s and 1960s.

In 1971 the company was purchased by the Pfaltzgraff Company of York, Pennsylvania, the largest stoneware manufacturer in the USA. Under the new owners the factory was again modernised and in addition to traditional Simpson lines, the Pfaltzgraff ‘Museum Collection’ was produced and marketed. In January 1976, however, Pfaltzgraff announced the ending of tableware production although the factory continued to produce a small volume of stoneware cookware.

Simpson’s most well known pattern is Belle Fiore, a bold freehand-painted underglaze design in nine colours. It was first advertised in 1940 and was still in production when tableware production ceased in 1976. Rights to the pattern were acquired by Wood & Sons Ltd and a 1977 advertisement in Tableware International illustrates Woods ‘Belle Fiori’ pattern. Trade names include ‘Solian Ware’ and ‘Ambassador Ware’ used by the Soho Pottery Ltd, ‘Chinastyle’ and ‘Marlborough’. Marks include the company name. See the entry for the Soho Pottery Ltd.

Skyeramics

Active 1975

A studio Pottery established by Morris MacLeod Manson and family on the Isle of Skye. The Pottery produced hand-thrown tableware and kitchenware.

Slack & Brownlow

c.1928–1934

Earthenware manufacturer at Tonbridge, Kent. Slack & Brownlow produced ornamental earthenware (Godden 1991) and used the trade name ‘Tonbridge Ware’.

Smith (James Smith)

Smith (James Smith & Partners Ltd)

(1898–1922), c.1922–1924

Manufacturer of earthenware and china at the Glebe Pottery, Stoke-on-Trent. The business traded as James Smith (1898–1922) and as James Smith & Partners Ltd from about 1922 until the business closed in 1924.

Smith (Sampson Smith (Ltd))

c.1846–1963 (Inc. c.1918)

Manufacturer of earthenware and china at various potteries in Longton. Sampson Smith Ltd was acquired by Barker Bros Ltd in 1939 and from 1941 was concentrated with its parent at Barker St. The business became a member of the Clough Group of companies when Alfred Clough, Ltd acquired Barker Bros. in 1959. Clough closed the Sampson Smith business in 1963 to allow expansion of earthenware production at the adjoining Barker Bros. factory. Sampson Smith, Ltd is best known for bone china teaware marketed under the ‘Wetley China’ and ‘Old Royal’ trade names—the latter in use until the business closed in 1963. Most marks contain the trade name and two intertwined ‘S’ symbols.

Smith (W. T. H. Smith (Ltd))

1898–1905

Earthenware manufacturer at the Cable Pottery, Longport. Also a manufacturer of tiles.

Soho Pottery (Ltd)

1904–1944

Earthenware manufacturer at the Soho Pottery, Tunstall (to 1910) and then at Elder Rd, Cobridge. The Soho Pottery Ltd was established by a Mr Samuel J. Simpson at the Soho Pottery, Tunstall, in 1904 and the company moved to the larger Elder Rd works in 1910. Sons Samuel E. M. Simpson and Thomas Simpson joined the business and assumed joint management of the company following the death of S. J. Simpson in 1918. The business name was changed to Simpsons (Potters) Ltd in 1944, but without any change in ownership or management.

The Soho Pottery manufactured good quality mid-market domestic earthenware. It is best known for its tableware marketed under the trade names ‘Solian Ware’ and ‘Ambassador Ware’ and ‘Chanticleer Ware’. It manufactured for the domestic UK market and was also an important exporter to the United States and ‘the Colonies’. Whilst not a leader in design or decoration, the company followed contemporary trends and there are some attractive and well decorated art deco-style wares. See the entry for Simpsons (Potters) Ltd.

Soil Hill Pottery

Late-1890–1965

Earthenware manufacturer at the Soil Hill Pottery, near Halifax, Yorkshire. Isaac Button purchased a pottery at Soil Hill in the late-1890s and it was subsequently run by his son and then grandson, also Isaac Button, until it closed in 1965. The pottery manufactured hand-thrown utilitarian earthenware such as brine pans, large storage jars, bread crocks and pet bowls. In the 1930s the pottery employed up to 20 throwers using clay excavated and processed on the site. From 1947, Isaac Button worked the pottery alone, finally retiring in 1965. The Soil Hill site was purchased in 1968 by Mr Donald Greenwood who rented it for some years to the potter Peter Strong, later the owner of Wetheriggs Pottery in the Lake District. Some of the Soil Hill buildings are now preserved as a heritage site.

Southcliffe (R. G. Southcliffe & Co. Ltd)

1948?–?

See the entry for the Creigiau Pottery

Speyside Pottery

c.1986–Active 2009

Manufacturer of domestic and ornamental stoneware at Aberlour, near Inverness, north-western Scotland. The Speyside Pottery was established by Thomas Gough in about 1986. Gough was without formal training, but in the late-1980s worked at the Appin and Argyll Potteries with Joseph Fitch and Alan Gaff. The pottery’s products are hand-thrown stoneware fired in a wood-fired kiln. Products include tableware, kitchenware, lamp bases, teapots, paperweights, vases, and jam pots etc, most sold from the pottery door.

Spode Ltd

1970–2008

Manufacturer of fine bone china and earthenware at the Spode Works, Church St, Stoke-on-Trent. Formerly W. T. Copeland & Sons Ltd (1847–1970). Ownership of the Spode name and the original Spode shapes and patterns had been held by the Copeland family since 1833. In 1966 Copeland was acquired by the Carborundum Co. Ltd, the UK arm of the Carborundum Corporation of the USA. The company continued to trade as W. T. Copeland & Sons Ltd until 1970 when the new owners reverted to the original Spode name.

In 1976 Carborundum merged its Tableware Division, (which included Spode Ltd, Hammersley China Ltd and the Royal Windsor Pottery) with the tableware business of Royal Worcester Ltd to form a new jointly owned company Royal Worcester Spode Ltd. Two year later Royal Worcester Ltd acquired the Carborundum shareholding and became the sole owner of Royal Worcester Spode Ltd. Both ‘Spode’ and ‘Royal Worcester’ continued to trade as subsidiaries of the parent company. Since about 1988 both entities have been subsidiaries of The Porcelain and Fine China Companies Ltd, a private company owned by Luxembourg-based investor Derby International Corporation SA.

In November 2008 Spode was placed in administration and in April 2009 it was announced that Portmeirion Potteries plc had acquired the Spode name and intellectual property. The Spode wares (since 1970) include classical and casual tableware, tableware accessories, kitchenware and giftware. Classic patterns such as ‘Blue Italian’ first produced in 1816 still feature strongly in the Spode range. The company’s mark is the script ‘Spode’. See the entries for Royal Worcester Ltd and The Porcelain and Fine China Companies Ltd.

Springfield China Ltd

1960–Active 2009

Manufacturer of bone china mugs and teaware at the Springfield Works, Edensor Rd, Longton. Springfield China Ltd was established by brothers Peter and Lionel Jones in 1963 in a small factory in May Place, Fenton. The company initially decorated bought-in white bone china, but in 1974 moving to a new works in Greencock Street, Longton and began manufacture of its own bone china teaware and mugs. In 1987 the company moved to its present address in Edensor Road Longton, on the site of the former Cobden Works of Thomas Poole. The company is still (2009) owned and managed by the Jones family and Philip and Lionel Jones continue their association as consultants to the company.

The business manufactures mugs, beakers, teapots, cups and saucers, dessert ware and collectors plates in a fine white bone china, and has export markets in the Americas, Europe and the Far East. The company manufactures under private names and under its own brands of ‘Springfield’, ‘Royal Essex’ and ‘Albatross Designs’. The mark is composed of a script depiction of the name accompanied, in some marks, by a rampant lion.

Springfield Pottery

1979–Active 2009

A studio pottery established in 1979 at Hartland, North Devon, by Philip and Frannie Leach. The pottery produces hand-made, slip-decorated functional earthenware (jugs, mugs, bowls, vases, teapots, plant pots etc) and hand-made tiles. Philip Leach, son of Michael Leach, also produces individual art pottery. The Springfield pottery mark is an impressed seal with a central coiled ‘S’. The Leach wares have been widely exhibited and are collectible and the Pottery is still active in 2009.

St. Agnes Pottery

1978–1981

A studio pottery established in 1978 at St Agnes, Cornwall by John Vasey former owner of the Grigg’s Forge Pottery. John Vasey produced handmade art wares.

St. Andrews Pottery

1984–Active 2009

Manufacturer of domestic stoneware. George Young established Church Square Ceramics in St. Andrews, Scotland, in 1984. The pottery adopted the St. Andrews Pottery name in 1994 and moved to Cupar, Fife, in 1999. The pottery produces traditional Scottish stoneware, bowls, jugs, vases, mugs and goblets, kitchenware, plates and platters, lamp bases and garden planters. Wares are marked ‘GY’ and have a circular seal of St Andrew’s cross surrounded by the pottery name.

St. Keyne Potteries Ltd

Active 1978

A studio pottery at Penhale Grange, St. Cleer, Liskeard, Cornwall. Manufacturer of stoneware tableware, mugs, flagons etc. Wares illustrated in Tableware International (Vol. 8) in 1978 are reminiscent of those of the Tremar Pottery.

Staffordshire Potteries (Holdings) Ltd

1955–1986

A holding company, formed in 1955, for the pottery interests owned by the South Western Industrial Corporation Ltd. The ‘Keele Street Group’ potteries controlled by Charles Griffiths Bowers became part of the South Western Industrial Corporation Ltd in 1949, but the group restructured in 1955 and the potteries became subsidiaries of a new company Staffordshire Potteries (Holdings) Ltd, controlled by C. G. Bowers and his family. The subsidiary companies at the time of the restructure were Staffordshire Potteries Ltd, Keele Street Pottery Co. Ltd, Thomas Cone Ltd, Conway Pottery Ltd, Picadilly Pottery Co. Ltd, Paramount Pottery Ltd, Winterton Pottery (Longton) Ltd, and Collingwood China Ltd. Taunton Vale Industries Ltd were acquired in 1979 adding the Royal Winton Pottery (Grimwades Ltd), Gibson & Sons Ltd, Norfolk Pottery Co. Ltd and Howard Pottery Co. Ltd to the ‘Staffordshire Potteries Group’.

In July 1986 Staffordshire Potteries (Holdings) Ltd was taken over by the Coloroll Group of Manchester and the individual companies became members of the Coloroll Ceramics Division.

Staffordshire Potteries Ltd

1948–1990

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at Meir Airport. The name Staffordshire Potteries Ltd was registered as a private company in 1948 by Charles Griffiths Bowers and G. T. Basnett. Bowers’ was the owner of the Keele St. Pottery Ltd and in the post-war years acquired or established a number of companies, including Staffordshire Potteries Ltd, which were known collectively as the ‘Keele Street Group’. Staffordshire Potteries Ltd became a listed public company in 1951 and in January 1955 the companies in the Keele Street Group were reorganised as subsidiaries of a new holding company Staffordshire Potteries (Holdings) Ltd controlled by the Bowers family. In 1986, the Coloroll Housewares Group of Manchester acquired the holding company and Staffordshire Potteries Ltd continued to trade as a member of the Coloroll Ceramics Division.

Coloroll Housewares went into receivership in 1990 and in August 1990 Staffordshire Potteries Ltd was bought by its management and with Coloroll Biltons (formerly Biltons Tableware Ltd) and its management, formed a new company Staffordshire Tableware Ltd.

Staffordshire Potteries Ltd was the first of the Keele Street Group to manufacture at the ‘greenfield’ Meir Airport (later termed Meir Park) site. In the 1950s and 1960s the company produced medium quality tea and tablewares for the mass market. ‘Kilncraft’ stoneware was introduced in November 1971 and established the company as an important producer of well designed contemporary tableware. The company was also a major producer of mugs.

Staffordshire Tableware Ltd

1990–2000

Manufacturer of earthenware and china at Meir Airport. The name Staffordshire Tableware Ltd was adopted by the managements of Staffordshire Potteries Ltd and Biltons Tableware Ltd after their buyout of the two companies when the Coloroll Group’s assets were liquidated in 1990. (The name Staffordshire Tableware Ltd had actually been registered in 1964 as a division of Staffordshire Potteries Ltd and was presumably available for the post-buyout business to use). The business operated from the former Staffordshire Potteries Ltd Meir Park (Airport) site and from the Biltons factory in London Rd, Stoke-on-Trent. The Biltons part of the business was put up for sale in 1994 and eventually sold to its management in August 1995. Staffordshire Tableware Ltd continued until December 2000 when it went into receivership with the loss of approximately 630 jobs.

Staffordshire Tableware Ltd was a large-scale manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware tableware, oven-to-table ware and mugs, and at its establishment in 1990 held about 30% of the UK dinnerware market. The company marketed mainly under the Biltons and Kilncraft names. For further information see the entries for Coloroll Ceramics Division, Biltons Tableware Ltd and Staffordshire Potteries Ltd.

Staffordshire Tea Set Co. Ltd

1947–?

Earthenware manufacturer at the Plex Street Pottery, Tunstall.

Staffs Teapot Co. Ltd

1929–1948

Earthenware teapot manufacturer at the Crown Pottery, Burslem. The business continued as the Hanover Pottery Ltd from 1948 to c.1956.

Stanley Pottery Ltd

1928–1931

Manufacturer of bone china and earthenware at the Stanley Pottery, Edensor Rd, Longton. Formerly Colclough & Co., the business was purchased from Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd by the Vernon family of Burslem in 1928. It was renamed Stanley Pottery Ltd, but failed in the economic depression of the early 1930s and closed in 1931. The business used the ‘Royal Stanley’ trade name and the Royal Stanley Ware marks formerly used by Colclough & Co.

Star Pottery

1880–1907

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at Possil Park, Glasgow, Scotland. Johnstone Wardlaw was the proprietor of this business.

Star China Co.

1899–1919

Manufacturer of bone china at St Gregory’s Works, Longton (until 1903) and then at the Atlas Works, Sutherland Rd, Longton. The company was founded by William Illingworth with John Gerrard Aynsley and Herbert James Aynsley, the elder sons of John Aynsley the principal of John Aynsley and Sons Ltd. John Gerrard Aynsley retired from the partnership in 1900 to concentrate on the main Aynsley main family business and when Illingworth retired in 1910, Hugh Irving joined Herbert Aynsley (his father-in-law) as a partner. In 1919 the company changed its name and from 1920 it became known as the Paragon China Company, adopting the trade name it had used since about 1903.

Star China Co. manufactured high quality bone china teaware and tableware and was also a leading maker of nursery ware. The company marketed under the ‘Paragon’ trade name from c.1900 and the company’s many marks include a simple six-pointed star with the name ‘Paragon China’ below. See the entry for Paragon China Co.

Steelite International Ltd

1983–Active 2009

Designer, manufacturer and distributor of tableware and table accessories for the international hospitality industry at Orme St, Stoke-on-Trent. Steelite was formerly the vitrified hotelware brand of Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd. In 1983 Doulton sold its vitrified hotelware businesses (Steelite and Dunn Bennett Ltd) to David E. Johnson and a group of senior executives in a management buyout. The new business was named Steelite International Ltd.

Originally only a manufacturer of ceramic tableware, since about 2002 Steelite International has expanded to encompass the design, manufacture and/or distribution of a wide range of tabletop products—tablewares, cutlery, glass—to the hotel and restaurant industry. Wares are marked with a characteristic portcullis and the name ‘Steelite’.

Sterling Pottery Ltd

1939–1953

Earthenware manufacturer at Fenton. The Sterling Pottery was registered as a private company by Alfred Busby in 1939 to manufacture and deal in earthenware, stoneware and pottery. The company became part of the Lawley Group following its purchase by Ridgway (Bedford Works) Ltd in March 1950. The Sterling Pottery produced low to mid-priced tea and coffee sets, general tableware, and ornamental earthenware. Marks include the ‘Sterling’ name.

Sterling Pottery Co.

?–1947

Godden (1991) suggests the Sterling Pottery Co. was a predecessor of the Sterling Pottery Ltd. See the entry for Sterling Pottery Ltd.

Stevenson (Spencer Stevenson & Co. Ltd)

1948–1960

China manufacturer at the Dresden Works (and/or the Edensor Works), Longton. The company ceased manufacture in 1960, but continued as a distributor of ceramic wares. Spencer Stevenson produced good quality bone china tableware. The trade name ‘Royal Devon’ was used for the company’s highest quality lines. The trade name ‘Royal Stuart’ was used from about 1951.

Stevenson & Hancock

c.1859–1935

China manufacturer at King St, Derby. The business was purchased by the Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Co. Ltd in 1935.

Steventon (John Steventon & Sons Ltd)

1923–1936

Earthenware manufacturer at the Royal Pottery, Burslem and, from the late-1930s, at the Cledford Works, Middlewich. Formerly Brown & Steventon Ltd. William Brown retired in 1923 and John Steventon and his sons Horace and Reginald Steventon continued the business as John Steventon & Sons Ltd. From 1936, the business began the manufacture of tiles and sanitary pottery and by the late 1930s with the opening of the Cledford factory, manufacture of tablewares was discontinued.

The Steventon business made a wide range of good quality semi-porcelain (earthenware) toilet ware, dinner and teaware, jugs, bowls, fancy tableware, vases, figurines and fancy earthenware. The company were important exporters to North America, Canada, South Africa and Australia. The trade name ‘Royal Venton Ware’ appears on many, perhaps the majority, of the company’s products from c.1930 and ‘Royal Venton’ became synonymous with the Steventon name. Ornamental ‘Floretta Ware’, introduced in 1931, includes many art deco themes, some designed by Harold Holdcroft who worked for Steventon until moving to Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd in 1933. Decorative art deco-styled wares signed by Holdcroft, Gladys Scarlett (ex Newport Pottery/Clarice Cliff decorator) and Francis (Van) Phillips may be found.

The Steventon wares are little known and are under-appreciated. From 1923 the business used as its mark the semi-circular banner and four-pointed sun mark formerly used by Brown & Steventon Ltd. A new mark of a crown above the company name and surmounted by the trade name ‘Royal Venton Ware’ was used from about 1930. Many other special marks were used on series ware.

Stewart (Robert Stewart Ceramics Ltd)

1960–?

Earthenware manufacturer at Paisley, Glasgow, Scotland. Maker of earthenware jars.

Stiff (James Stiff (& Sons))

c.1840–1913

Manufacturer of stoneware at the London Pottery, Lambeth, London. The pottery was subsequently taken over by Doulton & Co. Ltd.

Stoneshill Pottery

1964–Post-1994

A studio pottery established by John Maltby at Stoneshill, Crediton, Devon in 1964. Maltby studied sculpture as well as ceramics, and worked with David Leach at the Lowerdown Pottery in the early 1960s. The Stoneshill Pottery produced domestic stoneware, but from the late-1970s Maltby has concentrated on individual art wares. Active 1994.

Stratford Fine Bone China Ltd

1978–1986

Manufacturer of bone china floral ware. Stratford Fine Bone China Ltd was established in 1978 by John Hinks.The company was a subsidiary of the Churchill group of companies possibly from its foundation. Mr. Hinks was also associated with the manufacture of bone china tableware under the name Royale Stratford.

Stubbs Bros

1899–1904

China manufacturer at the Argyle Works, Fenton. The business may have continued with additional partners to c.1907. Stubbs used the trade name ‘Britannia (or Britannic) China’ and produced teaware.

Studio Hinks Fine China Ltd

2005–2009

Manufacturer of bone china flowers and floral arrangements. Studio Hinks Fine China Ltd was founded by John Hinks in early 2005 to manufacturer hand-made and hand-decorated fine china flowers and floral arrangements. The company was primarily a supplier to the large china manufacturers Aynsley, Doulton and Wedgwood. The company operated from the Regent Works, Lawley St, Longton, and at its peak in 2006 employed 12 skilled decorators. The business went into liquidation in November 2008, reputedly owed substantial sums by members of the financially troubled Waterford Wedgwood Group.

Sudlow (R. Sudlow & Sons Ltd)

1894–Active 1961

Earthenware manufacturer at the Adelaide Pottery, Burslem, and then at Moorland Rd, Burslem. Robert Sudlow began this business in 1894 following the dissolution of a teapot-making partnership with Samuel Gibson. Both partners continued the manufacture of teapots, Sudlow at Adelaide St, Burslem and Gibson at Moorland Rd, Burslem. Sudlow moved to new premises, also in Moorland Rd, in the late 1950s. Robert Sudlow retired from the business in 1913 but it remained owned and managed by the Sudlow family until at least the early 1960s.

Sudlow & Sons were large-scale manufacturers of teapots and accessories such as hot water jugs, cream jugs, etc and also manufactured fancy earthenware—vases, bulb bowls, posy rings and similar ornamental wares. The trade name was ‘Sudlow’s’ and the company name is included in the marks.

Summerbank Pottery Ltd

1946 (1952)–Post-1968

Manufacturer of fancy earthenware at Paradise St, Tunstall (to 1958) and then at Butterfield Place, Tunstall. The Summerbank Pottery was founded by William Henry Bailey in 1946 and operated initially as a pottery wholesaler at High St, Tunstall. Pottery manufacture began in 1952 at Sandyford, and later at Paradise St, Tunstall. The pottery manufactured ornamental earthenware, and specialised in making wall plaques in the form of birds. In 1954, Mr Bailey approached Mr Peter Scott of the Wildfowl Trust to participate in production of a series of exclusive models of the wildfowl in the keeping of the Trust. Unfortunately William Bailey died in October 1955 in the midst of the production process and completion of the project fell to the new proprietor, his wife Mrs Irene Bailey. The models, made to exacting standards, were released in February 1956 and were an immediate success. Summerbank Pottery, however, had limited production capacity and production of the models was soon suspended in favour of less intricate ornamental wares.

Under Mrs Bailey (now Mrs Cooper) the pottery moved to larger premises in 1958 and continued to produce animal models and ornamental ware. ‘Noddamals’—animal models with moveable heads were introduced in 1959. The pottery was taken over by Mr. J. M. Sadler (son of the late Mr. John Sadler) in early 1968 and continued to produce animal models, figurines, souvenirs, and giftware.

Sunfield Pottery, Ltd

c.1937–Active 1960s

A studio pottery established by J. R. S. Dugdale-Bradley at Clent, Stourbridge, Worcestershire. Sunfield may have been a workshop associated with ‘Sunfield’ a residential school for children with learning difficulties. The pottery produced hand-thrown stoneware including tea and coffee sets, dinner sets, kitchenware and ornamental pottery.

Sunflower Pottery

1879–1922

An art pottery established by Sir Edmund Elton at Moor Lane, Clevedon, Somerset in c.1879. The Sunflower Pottery was established by Sir Edmund Elton with the assistance of a local artisan George Masters. Elton died in 1920, however, the pottery continued to produce ‘Elton Ware’ until at least 1922 when the pottery closed (Godden (1991) gives the date of closure as 1930). William Fishley Holland worked at the Elton Sunflower Pottery in 1920-21 after leaving the Braunton Pottery at Fremington, and before establishing his own pottery at Clevedon.

The Sunflower Pottery made art pottery and decorative earthenware that exhibit art nouveau influence with surface relief decoration and the use of rich coloured glazes and lustre effects. ‘Elton Ware’ was popular in North America where it was marketed through Tiffany & Co. Elton wares are marked with the name either painted or incised into the base, the addition of a cross indicates a piece made after Elton’s death.

Sunset Ceramics

Active in the late-1970s

A studio pottery established in the late-1970s by Margaret Fisher at Newlyn, Cornwall. Sunset Ceramics replaced Fisher’s former Celtic Pottery business. Sunset Ceramics made slip cast ornaments (frogs, figurines, animal models) in the highly individualistic Fisher style. The Sunset Ceramics mark is a quartered setting sun accompanied by ‘Sunset Ceramics, Newlyn, Cornwall’. The Sunset wares have become collectible.

Sunshine Ceramics

c.1975–post-1983

Pottery business established in c.1975 by Paul and Karen Cardew, Hilary Watters and David Symonds. The pottery manufactured giftware, teapots, piggy banks, mugs and utilitarian ceramics with a distinct 1970s flavour. Cardew subsequently founded South West Ceramics, to be followed by Cardew Design Ltd and other pottery ventures. Sunshine Ceramics was the original (1982) manufacturer of the now well known and widely collected NatWest piggy banks. It is believed that only about 400 sets of the five pigs were produced before Wade Ceramics Ltd took over production to meet the massive demand. Paul Cardew retained the rights to the designs and in 2007 the Paul Cardew Pottery produced a Silver Anniversary limited edition of 2,500 sets from the original moulds.

Surrey Ceramic Co. Ltd

1956–Active 2005

Manufacturer of stoneware, earthenware and porcelain wares at the Kingwood Pottery, School Rd, Grayshott, Hindhead, Surrey. The company later (early 1980s?) adopted the name ‘Grayshott Pottery (Surrey Ceramic Co. Ltd)’. Surrey Ceramic’s products included vases, flower bowls and fancies marketed under the trade names ‘Surrey Ceramics’ and ‘Kingwood’. See the entry for the Grayshott Pottery.

Sutherland Pottery Co. Ltd

?–1928?

See the entry for Wearside Pottery Co.

Sutty (Michael Sutty Fine China)

1968–2003 (Active 2009?)

Manufacturer of bone china figurines at The Grange, Knockholt, Kent (later termed the Royal Porcelain Manufactory), and then at Bedford St, Shelton. Michael Sutty was an army engineer who established a factory at ‘The Grange’, Knockholt, in 1968 to produce military figurines. The business moved to Shelton in the mid-1970s and in July 1993 the business was acquired by Bullers plc for a consideration of £120,000, becoming part of the Bullers plc giftware division Bullers plc were placed in receivership in 1995 and the giftware division sold, however, a company incorporating the Michael Sutty name is still active (2009) at Bedford St, Stoke. Michael Sutty died in November 2003.

Michael Sutty was a self-trained ceramic artist who modelled and produced high quality, limited edition, busts and figurines, mostly of historical figures such as English Kings, knights and, especially, military personnel modelled in uniform. The models were produced to exacting historical detail and were sold through exclusive arrangements with London retailers such as Harrods, Thomas Goode and Fortnum & Mason. Other Sutty productions have been limited edition police figures, figures and scenes from British history, themes from nursery rhymes, fables, and animal and bird models. Sutty models are of the highest quality and are collectible, frequently appearing in fine art auctions.

Swansea China Co. Ltd.

?–?

A company listed as a subsidiary of George Jones & Sons Ltd in 1941.

Swinnertons (Ltd).

1885c.1972 (Incorporated 1911)

Earthenware and stoneware manufacturer at the Vulcan Works, Hanley, at Shelton and at other locations in the Staffordshire Potteries. Swinnertons began as a pottery factoring business run by Mr. Bertram Swinnerton at Burton Place, Hanley, in 1885 (this is the establishment date given in later company advertisements). By 1906 the business was operating at the Vulcan Works, Hanley, seemingly as a manufacturer, as it had a London agent and was supplying the shapes and patterns originally manufactured by the discontinued business of Blizzard & Issacs. The reason for the change was apparently the difficulties Swinnerton had encountered in sourcing ware for his factoring business. In 1911 he formed a partnership with Mr. Walter Lindley and they incorporated the business as Swinnertons Ltd, also purchasing and refurbishing the Old Chelsea Works for the production of domestic earthenware.

On the death of Bertram Swinnerton (date uncertain, but pre-1916), Mr. Victor G. Alcock joined Walter Lindley in the business becoming chairman of the company. Mr. William Bloor, another friend of Walter Lindley, joined the business in 1916 and in the 1930s sons of the principals, Mr. R. B. Bloor and Mr. Walter S. Lindley joined their fathers as directors. In 1919, the partners purchased the business of Smith & Co. a teapot manufacturer and formed a new company, Alcock, Lindley & Bloor Ltd to develop this line of business. The venture was so successful that Swinnertons, previously mid-size producers of domestic earthenware, were to become, through their subsidiary, one of the largest manufacturers of earthenware teapots in the world. The Victoria Pottery was purchased in 1925, followed by the Scotia Pottery, and then the Albert and Sefton Potteries (to expand teapot manufacture) so by 1941 the group were producing over four million teapots per year. Both Swinnertons Ltd and Alcock, Lindley & Bloor Ltd remained in production throughout the Second World War although with the closure of a number of their factories.

William Bloor died in 1941 but the business expanded following the end of the war with the modernisation of the Vulcan Works (completed 1952) and the purchase of Davison & Son Ltd in 1953. The deaths of Walter Lindley in 1951 and Victor Alcock in 1958 brought the business to a close and in 1959 it was purchased by the Lawley Group Ltd and by 1964 the use of the Swinnertons name had probably ceased.

Swinnertons were originally manufacturers of toilet ware—the ewers, bowls and toilet accessories universally used in homes and hotels in the early decades of the 20th century. Dinner and teaware, jugs, kitchenware and other common domestic earthenware were, however, the main products throughout the life of the company. Shapes and patterns were unadventurous and targeted to the mid- to lower end of the market. Nevertheless, the company was an important exporter of earthenware to North America, Australia and South Africa. Swinnertons marketed their wares under the ‘Swinnertons’, ‘Hampton Ivory’ and ‘Royal Wessex’ trade names. The company’s (numerous) marks usually include the name and many include a representation of an ancient oil lamp although the origin of the symbol is uncertain. See the entry for Alcock, Lindley & Bloor Ltd.

Sylvan Pottery Ltd.

1946–?

Earthenware manufacturer at the Sylvan Pottery, Ratton St (Huntbach St), Hanley. Formerly the Podmore China Co., the business was acquired by Mr. Kennedy Gordon in c.1946 following its closure as part of the wartime Concentration Scheme. Under its new name, Sylvan Pottery Ltd, the business acquired the moulds, goodwill and operating assets of the Bournemouth Pottery Co. in February 1952 and moved the plant and equipment from Bournemouth to a new site in the Potteries.

The Sylvan Pottery manufactured tablewares, souvenirs and fancy earthenware including musical jugs and character Toby Jugs. The pottery was also a maker of industrial marbles (used for grinding in the pottery and pigment industries) and specialist lines for the pet, poultry, bird fancier and aquarium industries. Amongst the specialist items were earthenware nest eggs in four sizes (hen, bantam, pigeon and budgerigar) exported worldwide. Most marks include the company name or initials within a simple circular seal. See the entry for Podmore China Co.

Szeiler (Studio Szeiler Ltd)

c.1951–1985

Manufacturer of animal models and ornamental earthenware at Litchfield St, Hanley, (to c.1955) and then at the Chelsea Works, Moorland Rd, Burslem. Hungarian-born Joseph Szeiler left Hungary in 1947 to seek work in the United Kingdom. After working as a low-level operative for J. & G. Meakin and other Staffordshire manufacturers, Mr Szeiler resolved to pursue a career in the pottery industry. He learned figure modelling with freelance modeller C. S. Lancaster, and attended the Burslem School of Art, and, in 1951, founded Studio Szeiler in a home workshop at Litchfield St, Hanley. The initial productions were animal figurines. In 1955 he purchased additional premises at 74 Moorland Rd (at the Chelsea Pottery?) and in 1959 announced that he had acquired the Hadderidge Pottery, Lower Hadderidge, Burslem. Joseph Szeiler died in 1980, however, the business continued until sold in the mid-1980s and renamed the Moorland Pottery.

Studio Szeiler is best known for its animal figures modelled either by Szeiler himself or by the artist and modeller J. J. Ferenczy. Over 100 animal models are known. The Studio Szeiler animal models are now highly sought, but Studio Szeiler also produced tableware, giftware, figurines, money boxes and similar fancy pottery. The Moorland Pottery continued to produce Szeiler models under their own name for some time. The Studio Szeiler mark is an oval seal containing an urn and an intertwined ‘SZ’ plus ‘Studio Szeiler, England’.