Fancies Fayre – Futura

Scroll to locate a company on the list, click to view.

Fancies Fayre Pottery

c.1946–1954

Earthenware manufacturer at the Britannia Works, Hanley. Fancies Fayre Pottery was a maker of figurines and fancies. From 1954 the business traded as P. E. Bairstow & Co. Ltd.

Farnham Pottery (A. Harris & Sons)

1872–Active 1997

Manufacturer of earthenware and art pottery. The Farnham Pottery was established by Absalom Harris at Wrecclesham, near Farnham, Surrey in 1872. Harris was a Wrecclesham farmer-potter who had worked at the nearby Charles Hill and Holt Potteries and he established the Farnham Pottery (alternatively known as the Wrecclesham Pottery) in 1872 producing domestic ware, tiles, and horticultural and agricultural pottery. The business remained in the Harris family until 1997 when the site was sold. The buildings are presently owned by the Farnham Building Preservation Trust and are used for craft pottery making.

The Farnham Pottery began to make art pottery in the 1880s and ‘Farnham Greenware’ became well know. The pottery built on its reputation by employing established designers and, from the 1890s to the late-1930s, marketed its ornamental art wares through companies such as the Liberty and Heals Department Stores. From c.1940 the pottery reverted to making utilitarian wares and the Pottery was still active in the 1990s producing horticultural pottery. The Farnham Pottery is best known for its ‘owl’ jugs, vases and bowls produced in a myriad of shapes, colours and sizes. Other wares include animal models, tableware, and kitchen and bedroom ware.

Featherstone Potteries

?–c.1950

The Featherstone Potteries closed in the ‘early post-war’ period.

Federated Potteries Ltd.

1982–1987

Federated Potteries Ltd was formed in 1982 with member companies W. H. Grindley & Co. Ltd, Cartwright & Edwards Ltd, Barker Bros, Weymek and possibly others and was a subsidiary of the United Kingdom Provident Institution. Grindley and Cartwright & Edwards had been members of the Clough Group and then of its successor Grindley of Stoke (Ceramics) Ltd. Federated Potteries Ltd ceased to operate in 1987 when Grindley was acquired by Churchill China and Cartwright and Edwards by the Coloroll Group. The Roy Midwinter Design Studio designed for Federated Potteries and produced some striking, and rarely seen, designs.

Fell (J. T. Fell & Co.)

1923–1957

Earthenware manufacturer at the Cyples Old Pottery, Longton. Maker of general earthenware including tea sets, jugs, vases, animal models and fancies.

Ferrybridge Pottery

c.1804–2002

The Ferrybridge Pottery, previously known as the Knottingley Pottery, was founded by William Tomlinson and partners in the early 1800s. It remained in the control of the Tomlinson family until c.1856 when it was purchased by a London china merchant, Mr Lewis Woolf. From 1897 the works were occupied by a partnership between Sefton & Brown, producing domestic earthenware for local consumption.

  1. Brown & Sons Ltd occupied the Pottery from 1919, also manufacturing domestic earthenware, and this business remained in occupation until the factory was sold to the Kingston Pottery in 1984. The Pottery was resold in the following year to Perkes Ceramic Group and it is believed the Ferrybridge Pottery finally closed in 2002. See the entry for T. Brown & Sons Ltd.

Fielding (S. Fielding & Co. (Ltd))

c.1870–1967 (Inc. 1905)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Railway Pottery, Stoke-on-Trent (renamed the Devon Pottery in 1912). Simon Fielding established the Railway Pottery in Sutherland St, Stoke in about 1870. The enterprise met financial difficulties and in 1878 or 1879 Fielding’s son Abraham joined the business, becoming the driving force behind its expansion and phenomenal later success.

Abraham Fielding died in 1932 and his son Arthur Ross Fielding took control of the pottery. The company continued production during the Second World War and undertook major re-equipment and rebuilding in the immediate post-war years. Arthur Fielding died in 1947 and control of the company passed to his son Reginald Ross Fielding. The Devon Pottery was rebuilt following a fire in 1951 and on completion of the work in 1957 it was renamed the Crown Phoenix Pottery.

In 1963 Donald Kitchener Bailey purchased a share in the Fielding business and joined Reginald Fielding as a joint managing director. The company acquired Shorter & Son Ltd in 1964 when the A. J. Wilkinson companies were dispersed. Reginald Fielding retired in 1967 and his remaining interest in the business was purchased by Donald Bailey. Bailey died in 1971 and his widow sold the business in 1976 to a Liverpool-based accounting firm the Archibald Bathgate Group. Earthenware continued to be produced at the Devon Pottery under the Crown Devon name until December 1982 when mounting losses caused the closure of the business.

The Fielding name, the Crown Devon Pottery, and other assets were purchased by Caverswall China Co. Ltd in May 1983. Caverswall itself experienced financial difficulties and was purchased in late-1983 by Thomas Goode & Co., only to be placed in receivership in 1986 and sold to the industrial ceramics manufacturer Bullers plc. Bullers auctioned the treasure trove of historic moulds from both the Fielding and Shorter businesses in 1987 and the historic Crown Devon Pottery was demolished in the same year.

  1. Fielding & Co. Ltd produced an enormous quantity and range of domestic and ornamental earthenware over the life of the business. The early wares were majolica, jet, Rockingham and green-glazed wares. ‘Majolica argenta’ with a white body and coloured glaze effects was introduced in the 1880s and used across its wide range of domestic wares. Embossed tableware was part of the range and this majolica ware is now very collectible. Decorated vellum-coloured wares were produced in the 1890s under a series of trade names including Royal Devon, Royal Chelsea, Royal Sussex, Royal Stuart, Royal Windsor, Royal Kent, Royal Kew and Royal Scotia. The Crown Devon name came into general use in the early 20th century although first use of the name may date from the 1880s. It was first associated with vellum-coloured earthenware painted to very high standards in the ‘Worcester’ floral decorating style. Jugs, vases, plaques and a host of other items were produced. Much of this ware was exported to the Dominions and the United States in the period up to the First World War.

The designer Enoch Bolton joined Fielding from its rival Wiltshaw & Robinson Ltd in 1929 and Boulton was responsible for the enormous output of striking Art Deco style wares from the Devon Pottery in the 1930s. The best of Boulton’s Art Deco and modernist designs rival and often exceed in impact those of Clarice Cliff and Susie Cooper. Patterns such as ‘Orient’ combine the richness of the continental Art Deco with modernist geometric elements. Well-modelled, contemporary figures designed by Kathleen Parsons were also produced from the mid-1930.

Fielding’s used the trade name ‘Crown Devon’ and from the early 1930s the Crown Devon mark—a crown over the words Crown Devon—became the emblem of the company and may appear without the Fielding name. The Kathleen Parsons figurines, first produced in the 1930s are now being re-issued using the original moulds, but in bone china. See the entry for Crown Figurines.

Fine Arts Porcelain Ltd

1948–1952

Earthenware manufacturer at Charlton, London. The business produced earthenware using the trade name ‘Ceramart’.

Finney (A. T. Finney & Sons (Ltd))

1917–post-1988 (Inc. 1947)

Manufacturer of earthenware and bone china teawares at the Blue Bell Pottery, Longton and, later, at the Duchess China Works, Longton. Mr A. T. Finney established his business in 1917 acting as a pottery factor. He acquired the Blue Bell Pottery, Longton in 1921 and commenced manufacture of low cost earthenware teacups. The Duchess China Works, High St, Longton was acquired in about 1934 and from about 1936 the company commenced manufacture of low priced bone china teawares and 21-piece tea sets. To expand production the Blyth Porcelain Co. Ltd operating at the Blyth Works was acquired in 1939. Finney’s sons John R. Finney and A. Thomas Finney junior joined their father in the business in 1947 and the company was incorporated as a private company, A. T. Finney & Sons Ltd, in the same year. A. T. Finney senior died in 1955 and the business continued as a family concern until sold to John Tams & Sons Ltd in the 1990s.

  1. T. Finney was a specialist manufacturer of low-priced teaware for a mass market and the company was a large scale supplier of hard wearing, stackable earthenware ‘canteen cups’ during the Second World War. Following the purchase of the Duchess China Works, bone china teawares and tea sets were manufactured to the same formula—a small number of shapes decorated with conventional patterns—and marketed under the ‘Duchess China’ trade name. See also the entry for the unrelated Duchess China Ltd.

Fish Pye Pottery

1994–Active 2009

A studio Pottery established by Laura McCrossen at St Ives, Cornwall in 1994. The pottery produces individual stoneware, earthenware and terracotta. Designs are influenced by the Cornish environment and especially the sea.

Fishley (E. B. Fishley)

1860–1912

Maker of ‘Devon Wares’ and art pottery at Fremington, Barnstable, Devon. Edwin Beer Fishley continued a family business following the death of his father Edmund Fishley in 1860 making slip decorated wares, and ornamental pottery in traditional Devon styles. Fishley died in 1912 and his Fremington Pottery was sold to Edward Sadler. Grandson William Fishley Holland worked at the Fremington Pottery in the early-1900s before moving to the Braunton Pottery in 1912. Edwin Beer Fishley is known for his art pottery—produced from the 1880s until his death—decorated with richly coloured iridescent glazes. Wares are marked with initials or a signature. See the entry for the Fremington Pottery.

Five Towns China Co. Ltd

1957–?

Manufacturer of bone china floral ware and fancies at the Park Works, Middleport.

Floral China Co. Ltd

1940–c.1950

Manufacturer of bone china floral ware at Gate St, and then at Sutherland Rd, Longton. Floral China Co. Ltd was founded by Mr L. D. Manning in about 1940 and moved to Sutherland Rd in about 1947. The business was acquired by the Ridgway (Bedford Works) Ltd unit of the Lawley Group in December 1949 and subsequently traded as Adderley Floral & Figurine China Co. Ltd (c.1950-c.1956) and then as Adderley Floral China Works (Ridgway Potteries, Ltd). The company manufactured teaware and figurines in addition to its main business in floral china and ‘fancies’.

Floral Productions

1952–1962

Manufacturer of bone china jewellery and china fancies at Liverpool Rd, Newcastle.

Florence China

?–Active 2009

Bone china manufacturer at the Normacot Works Normacot Rd, Stoke-On-Trent

Floyd (R. Floyd & Sons)

1907–1930

Earthenware manufacturer at the Lovatt Works and the Hall Street Works, Stoke. Wares are marked with ‘R.F. & S.’ in a diamond.

Ford (Charles Ford)

1874–1904

China manufacturer at Cannon Street, Hanley. Charles Ford continued earlier businesses known as C. & T. Ford and Thomas Ford respectively. The Charles Ford business and the Cannon St factory were controlled by Harold T. Robinson from c.1904 and the business was merged with that of J. A. Robinson & Sons Ltd by 1910. Charles Ford, and the predecessor businesses, produced good quality china teawares branded as ‘Swan China’. The business produced crested souvenir wares from the turn of the century and it was probably for this reason that it came to the acquisitive attention of H. T. Robinson.

Ford (Samuel Ford & Co.)

1898–1939

Earthenware manufacturer at the Lincoln Pottery (to c.1913) and then at the Crown Pottery, Burslem. Previously Smith & Ford (1895-1898).

Ford & Sons (Ltd)

c.1893–1938 (Inc. c.1908)

Earthenware manufacturer at Newcastle St, Burslem. Originally Ford & Sons, the business was incorporated as Ford & Sons Ltd in 1908 and continued under that name until 1938. Ford & Sons Ltd produced tableware and ornamental earthenware under the ‘Newcraft Ware’ and ‘Crownford Ware’ names. Marks generally do not include the company name, but may include the initials ‘F & S’ or similar markings. See the following entry for Ford & Sons (Crownford) Ltd.

Ford & Sons (Crownford) Ltd.

1938–post-1961

Earthenware manufacturer at Newcastle St., Burslem. Formerly Ford & Sons Ltd. Although unconfirmed, it is certain that the Ford & Sons Ltd business was purchased in 1938 by Mr. Oswald Shufflebottom, proprietor of a well known Manchester pottery and glassware wholesaler. He renamed the business Ford & Sons (Crownford) Ltd, the new name adopting the ‘Crown Ford’ or ‘Crownford’ trade name used by Ford & Sons Ltd in the 1930s. Ford & Sons (Crownford) Ltd vacated its Newcastle St, works in 1941 and was concentrated with Gater Hall & Co. at the latter’s Royal Overhouse Pottery, Burslem as part of the wartime Concentration Scheme. Both companies continued to trade throughout the war years.

The Shufflebottom family acquired control of George Warrilow & Sons Ltd in 1941 and Taylor & Kent Ltd in 1947, and again used the ‘Crownford’ name in their later (1989) merger of these businesses. Ford & Sons (Crownford) Ltd was still operating in the 1960s but its later history is unknown although it was probably merged into the Shufflebottom’s Crownford China Co. Ltd business from 1989. The company produced mid-range domestic tableware. See the entry for Crownford China Co. Ltd.

Ford & Pointon Ltd

1917–1936

Bone china manufacturer at the Norfolk Works, Hanley. Formerly Pointon & Co. Ltd (1883-1916), the company traded under new owners as Ford & Pointon Ltd from 1917. The business was acquired by J. A. Robinson & Sons, Ltd in 1919 and from c.1920 operated as a subsidiary of Cauldon Potteries Ltd. The business probably ceased to operate in the mid-1930s after Cauldon Potteries Ltd entered receivership. The Ford & Pointon business produced domestic tableware and was also a manufacturer of crested souvenir china.

Forester (Thomas Forester & Sons (Ltd))

1883–1959 (Inc. 1891)

An important manufacturer of earthenware and china at the Phoenix Works in Church St, Longton, and at the Imperial Works, Stafford St, Longton. Thomas Forester began his pottery business in about 1877. Forester’s sons Herbert and Victor Forester entered the business in 1883 and it traded as Thomas Forester & Sons until incorporated in 1891. The business was nominated as a nucleus company during the Second World War and continued in production; however, the company struggled to finance the modernisation of its production facilities in the post-War period and the company announced its closure in June 1959.

Thomas Forester & Sons (Ltd) were important 19th century manufacturers of majolica, jet, domestic earthenware and tiles. The company, however, is better known for its teawares and tableware manufactured in bone china and marketed under the ‘Phoenix China’ trade name. Many marks incorporate the initials ‘T. F. & S’ and/or the name Phoenix China.

Foster’s Pottery Ltd

Active 2006

?–?

Manufacturer of earthenware at Tolgus Hill, Redruth, Cornwall. The Pottery produced Cornish Blue giftware, teapots and other domestic earthenware.

Francesca China Ltd

1975–Active 2009 (?)

Manufacturer of bone china figurines at Sutherland Place, Longton. Francesca China Ltd was established by Mr John Robinson in 1975 to produce hand made, high quality, limited edition bone china figurines. The first figurines, female studies in historical dress, were advertised in 1976 and the company introduced one or two new studies each year. In 1979, to commemorate the UNICEF Year of the Child, the company introduced a set of seven child figures designed by Pat Hartnett and based on the nursery rhyme ‘Monday’s child is fair of face’. These were still in production in 1986. Other Francesca products were character thimbles, miniature vases and models of dogs. Figurines are each signed and dated and bear a script ‘Francesca’ mark.

Francis (Kevin Francis Ceramics)

Mid-1980s–2006

Manufacturer of limited-edition decorative ceramics at Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Kevin Francis Ceramics was founded by friends Kevin Pearson and Francis Salmon in the mid-1980s to produce limited-edition ceramics for the collectors’ market. Toby jugs were the initial focus and the first product, ‘The Collector’, was modelled by former Royal Doulton modeller Geoffrey Blower and produced for the partners by Royal Doulton. Other pieces followed with design and production through an association with Peggy Davis Ceramics and in 1993 the latter company took over management of the UK part of the Kevin Francis business.

In the 1990s, the Toby Jugs were joined by art deco-style figurines including the ‘Potteries Ladies’, a series featuring a figure against the backdrop of a plate decorated in the style of the period. ‘Face pots’, small grotesques of faces with an inscribed quotation inside, were introduced in 2000. Most are caricatures of well known people (also animals) and in excess of 160 have been produced mainly in low-number limited editions. In 2006, when use of the Kevin Francis name ceased, the product range included Toby jugs, figurines, character jugs, face masks, vases and a limited edition series based on bulldog caricatures. See also the entry for Davis (Peggy Davis Ceramics).

Franciscan Tableware

c.1972–1979?

Franciscan Tableware was a division of the Interpace Corporation of New Jersey, USA. Interpace acquired the Stoke-on-Trent-based Myott, Son & Co. Ltd in 1969 and, from 1972, in addition to maintaining the traditional Myott product lines, used the Myott factories to produce Franciscan Tableware in the United Kingdom. Myott acquired the assets of Alfred Meakin (Tunstall) Ltd in 1974 and Franciscan wares were also manufactured in the Meakin factories up to about 1979. In 1979 Josiah Wedgwood & Sons Ltd acquired Interpace’s Glendale, California, tableware plant—the ‘home’ of Franciscan—and production of Franciscan wares at the Myott and Meakin plants presumably ceased. Wedgwood subsequently closed the Glendale plant and transferred the manufacture of Franciscan ware to its Johnson Bros factories in the UK.

Pre-1979 UK-produced Franciscan earthenware included ‘Stonecraft’ oven-to-table ware, tea and coffee ware and ‘Dynasty’ fine earthenware tableware introduced in 1976. For further information on post-1979 Franciscan wares see the entry for Johnson Bros (Hanley) Ltd. See also the entries for Interpace Corporation and for Myott Son & Co. Ltd.

Fremington Pottery

Early 1800s–1915

The Fremington Pottery was a family pottery run by generations of the Fishley family at Fremington, Barnstable, Devon. The pottery was established by a George Fishley in c.1700 at Muddlebridge near Fremington and produced slip-decorated earthenware and domestic and garden pottery in traditional Devon styles. The business was continued by George Fishley’s sons Edmund and Robert Fishley and, following Edmund Fishley’s death in 1860, by his son Edwin Beer Fishley (1832-1912). The latter is known for his art pottery decorated with richly coloured blue and green iridescent glazes over incised and combed surface decoration. These wares were produced from the 1880s until his death in 1912. Edwin Fishley’s wares are marked with initials or a signature.

Following the death of Edwin Fishley, the Pottery was sold to Edward Sadler who continued the business until 1915 when it was sold to C. H. Brannam Ltd of Barnstable who continued to make domestic wares at Fremington into the 1930s. William Fishley Holland, grandson of Edwin Fishley worked at the Fremington Pottery in the early-1900s before moving to the Braunton Pottery in 1912.

Fryer (J. Fryer & Son (Ltd))

1945–?

Earthenware manufacturer at Roundwell Street, Tunstall. The Fryer businesses produced animal models, figurines, vases, bowls, lamp bases, and other fancy domestic earthenware. The business used the trade names ‘Carnival Ware’ and ‘Oldcourt Ware’.

Fulham Pottery and Cheavin Filter Co. Ltd

Active 1955.

Manufacturer of ornamental and art earthenware.

Furnivals (Thomas Furnival & Sons Ltd)

Furnivals (Ltd.)

Furnivals (1913) Ltd.

(1871–1890, 1890-1913), 1913–1968

Earthenware manufacturer at Elder Rd, Longton. Thomas Furnival founded the business in 1871 and it operated as Thomas Furnival & Sons Ltd (1871-1890) and then as Furnivals Ltd until 1913 when the business was acquired by brothers Charles and John Bailey and their sons, and the name changed to Furnivals (1913) Ltd. The Bailey family ran the business until selling it to Barratt’s of Staffordshire in 1967. The business continued under its own name, but was closed in late 1968 when a shortage of skilled labour frustrated Barratt’s redevelopment plans for Furnival’s Cobridge factory.

Rights to the Furnivals name and a number of popular Furnivals underglaze patterns were purchased by Enoch Wedgwood (Tunstall) Ltd who continued to produce the patterns, branding them with a Furnivals backstamp into the 1970s. Furnivals were manufacturers of earthenware and vitrified hotelware and are best known for tableware decorated in traditional underglaze printed patterns.

Futura Art Pottery Ltd

1947–1956

Earthenware manufacturer at Bryan Street, Hanley. The business closed in 1956.