Radford – Rye

Scroll to locate a company on the list, click to view.

Company name
2
3

Radford (E. T. B. Radford)

1920s

Manufacturer of handcrafted earthenware at H. J. Wood Ltd, Amicable St, Burslem. Edward Radford joined H. J. Wood Ltd in the early-1920s as a semi-independent designer and decorator of ornamental earthenware. He established his own business, still within the H. J. Wood Ltd factory, in about 1930. See the entry for Radford Handcraft Pottery.

Radford Handcraft Pottery

c.1930–1948

An independent earthenware manufacturer and decorator working in conjunction with Wood & Sons Ltd, Burslem. Edward Thomas Brown Radford established his Radford Handcraft Pottery in about 1930 in association with H. J. Wood Ltd (a subsidiary of Wood & Sons Ltd) at the Alexandra Pottery, Burslem. Radford retired in 1948 and died in 1969. H. J. Wood Ltd continued producing ornamental wares under the ‘E Radford’ name for many year and an advertisement in Tableware International in July 1975 (Vol 5(10), page 16) is under the style ‘H.J. Wood (Radford)’ indicating that the Radford name still had market appeal some 27 years after his retirement.

The Radford wares produced from c.1930 to 1948 are hand-thrown and hand-painted ornamental earthenware—mainly vases, jugs, bowls, baskets, wall pockets and similar ornamental items typically decorated in semi-abstract, art deco influenced, floral designs under a matte glaze. Trees figure prominently in the designs and many of these are attributed to one painter, a James Harrison. Sgraffito decorated wares and animal figurines were also made. Radford gave his decorators considerable freedom and many, if not most, designs can be attributed to the decorators rather than to Radford himself. The early Radford wares may be marked ‘E Radford’, ‘E Radford—Made in Great Britain’ or ‘E Radford, Burslem’ and are now highly collectible.

Following Radford’s retirement, H. J. Wood Ltd continued to produce slip-cast ornamental wares under the Radford name. These later wares are more diverse and although mass produced, were still mainly hand-painted in simple floral patterns reminiscent of the earlier Radford wares. The H. J. Wood wares often have a two-letter pattern number absent from the earlier wares and are generally marked ‘E Radford, England, Hand painted’. There is an active Collector’ Club and web site devoted to the Radford wares.

Radford (Samuel Radford (Ltd))

1879–1957

Manufacturer of bone china at High St, Fenton. Samuel Radford produced china at Longton and then at High St, Fenton (from 1885) following the dissolution of an earlier partnership with Joseph Amison. The business passed to Samuel Radford’s son William Radford and in 1931 was sold to Colonel Norman W. Elliott who continued the business until its closure. The company closed during the Second World War when the firm was concentrated with T. G. Green & Co. Ltd. It reopened at the end of the war, but in 1955 Elliott sold the Radford’s factory in High St, Fenton, to Mr Stanley Harrison the owner of Coalport China Ltd and the Samuel Radford Ltd business presumably closed at about this time. The Harrison’s plan for Coalport to occupy the Radford site were abandoned and by 1960 the High St factory had been demolished.

Samuel Radford was known for elaborately shaped and extravagantly decorated bone china teaware and tableware using traditional patterns, and the company was an important exporter to North America, the Dominions, and European countries. The business also produced ornamental china and giftware. There are many Radford marks and most combine a crown and intertwined ‘SR’ initials in various forms. From c.1938 the mark has the crown and Radford name only. ‘Radfords’ and ‘Radfordian’ were used as trade names.

Rainbow Pottery Co.

1931–1941

Earthenware manufacturer at Green St, Fenton.

Rainham Pottery (Ltd)

1947–1975 (Inc. 1956)

Earthenware manufacturer at High St, Rainham, Kent. The Roeginga Pottery owned by Oscar and Grace Davies was re-named the Rainham Pottery in 1947 when the Pottery reopened following wartime closure. The business was purchased in 1956 by its long-time manager Edward J. Baker and incorporated as the Rainham Pottery Ltd. The business closed at the end of January 1975. The Rainham Pottery produced domestic earthenware—coffee sets, vases, bowls, door furniture, kitchenware, presentation ware, tankards etc. The Rainham mark was an impressed script ‘Rainham’.

Rame Pottery (Paul Cardew)

c.2006–Active 2009

The Rame Pottery, Cawsand, Cornwall, is the current (2009) studio of Paul Cardew. See the entry for Cardew (Paul Cardew).

Rathbone (T. Rathbone & Co.)

1898–1923

Manufacturer of domestic earthenware at the Newfield Pottery, Tunstall. Originally established as Rathbone, Smith & Co. in 1883. From c.1912 the company mark includes a swan and the initials ‘T.R. & Co.’.

Ravenscourt Pottery

1916–1928

A studio pottery established by Dora Lunn at Ravenscourt Park, London in 1916. The pottery closed in 1928.  Dora Lunn produced hand-made ornamental earthenware. Godden (1991) notes that the Ravenscourt Pottery name has been used by later manufacturers.

Ravensdale Pottery Ltd

1999–?

Bone china manufacturer at Adventure Place, Hanley. Ravensdale Pottery Ltd manufactured tableware and teapots. The business was no longer operating in 2009.

Rawnsley Academy Ltd

1952–1994 (1997)

A communal pottery producing decorative earthenware. Also known as the Chelsea Pottery, the Rawnsley Academy Ltd was established in 1952 at Radnor Walk, Chelsea, London, by David and Mary Rawnsley. See the entry for the Chelsea Pottery.

Raymond (Toni Raymond Pottery Ltd)

1951–Active 2005?

Manufacturer of hand painted earthenware at Bath Lane, Torquay, Devon. The company acquired the Babbacombe Pottery in 1967. Toni Raymond made tableware, kitchenware, souvenirs, and giftware. A 1971 advertisement in Tableware International includes illustrations of storage containers, plant irrigators, vinegar jars, wall hung salt jars and similar kitchenware. The Toni Raymond wares are now collectible.

Redfern & Drakeford (Ltd)

1892–1933

China manufacturers at the Chatfield Works (c.1892-1902) and then at the Balmoral Works, Longton. The company was acquired by the Royal Albion China Co. in 1933. Redfern & Drakeford made mid-market tableware, tea and dinner wares etc. and from 1902 used the trade name ‘Balmoral China’. Redfern & Drakeford Ltd marks have a rampant lion over the initials ‘R&D’.

Reeves (James Reeves)

1870–1948

Earthenware manufacturer at the Victoria Works, Fenton (Cartwright & Edwards Ltd shared the use of the Victoria Works from c.1912). The James Reeves business was concentrated with that of G. L. Ashworth & Bros Ltd under the wartime concentration scheme’ and was closed from 1941-45. The business re-opened, briefly, but closed in 1948. Reeves manufactured general earthenware. Crested china, marketed under the ‘Victoria China’ trade name, was an important product in the early part of the 20th century.

Regal Pottery Co. (Ltd)

1925–1931

Earthenware manufacturer at Elder Rd, Cobridge. A company associated with Albert G. Richardson, and possibly a successor business to Richardsons (Cobridge) Ltd who also used the ‘Regal Ware’ trade name.

Regency China Ltd

1953–Active 2005

Manufacturer of bone china at Adderley Green and then at the Carlton Works, Sutherland Rd, Longton. Regency China Ltd was formed by Mr A. J. Tabenor, Mr E. A. Lockett and Mr J. Walley in about 1953. By 1970, the business was owned and run by the Walley family. The business appears to have closed before 2009. Regency China was a specialist maker of bone china teaware, coffee sets, teapots, fancy tableware, souvenirs etc in mainly traditional shapes and decorations. An advertisement in Tableware International in 1971 uses the phrase ‘Reflecting the elegance and style of yesterday’ and includes a drawing of an elegantly dressed female figure in Regency (1790-1830) costume. Marks of the company include the name ‘Regency’ and various representations of figures in Regency period dress.

Regency Porcelain Ltd

Active 2009

Regency Porcelain Ltd is an importer and retailer of hard-paste porcelain manufactured in the Limoge style.

Reid & Co.

1913–1946

Manufacturer of bone china tableware at the Park Place Works, Longton. Thomas C. Wild purchased the Park Place Works (opposite his Albert Works in High St, Longton) in about 1910 and manufactured plain china ware destined mainly for export. A half-share in the business was sold to Mr Harry Reid in 1913 and from that date the partners traded as Reid & Co. using the ‘Park Place China’ and ‘Roslyn China’ trade names (the latter from c.1924).

In 1946 the business name was changed to Roslyn China Ltd and the latter company remained active as part of the Wild group of companies until closed in July 1963. Early marks include the name Reid’s and the trade name ‘Park Place China’. Post-1924 marks refer only to the ‘Roslyn China’ trade name. See the entry for Roslyn China Ltd.

Renaissance Design Studio Ltd

1975–?

Manufacturer of bone china figurines and animal models at the Boundary Works, King St, Longton. Renaissance was founded in May 1975 by Mr Howard J. Wedgwood, Mr John Key and Mr Barry Nurser to make high quality, hand-made historical figurines and true-to-life bird and animal models for the limited edition collectors’ market. The company used the services of top designers and modellers including John Bromley, Frank Garbutt and John Burgess.

Richardson (A. G. Richardson & Co. Ltd)

1915–1974

Earthenware manufacturer at the Gordon Pottery, Tunstall (1915-c.1942) and at the Britannia Pottery, Cobridge (1934–1974). Albert G. Richardson founded the company in 1915 and the success of the business under its Crown Ducal trade name led to the opening of the Britannia Pottery in 1934. The Gordon Pottery closed during the Second World War, but subsequently reopened and the firm continued production until its sale to Enoch Wedgwood (Tunstall) Ltd in March 1974. The business subsequently closed.

  1. G. Richardson & Co. Ltd was an important manufacturer of middle of the market tableware, ornamental ware and utilitarian earthenware. In the 1920s and 1930s Richardson was a leading (with Grimwades and James Kent) maker of chinz-decorated tableware. ‘Blue Chinz’ and ‘Florida’ were enormously popular in the United States and remain so in the collectors’ market to this day.

In 1931 Charlotte Rhead joined A. G. Richardson as a designer of ornamental wares. In addition to the tube-lined wares (Rhodian Ware) for which she is famous, she designed patterns for tableware and nurseryware. Rhead left A. G. Richardson & Co. Ltd in 1942. The trade name Crown Ducal was used throughout the life of the business and appears in virtually all marks to the exclusion of the company name.

Richardson (Albert G. Richardson)

Richardsons (Cobridge) Ltd.

1921–1925

Earthenware manufacturer at the Regal Pottery, Cobridge. Albert G. Richardson began the business under his own name in 1920 and it traded as Richardsons (Cobridge) Ltd from 1921 to 1925. The business operated as an associate of A. G. Richardson & Co. Ltd and used the trade name ‘Regal Ware’.

Richmond Pottery Co. Ltd

?–c.1950

The Richmond Pottery Co. Ltd is recorded as restarting production in 1945 following wartime restrictions, but it closed in the ‘early post-war years’.

Ridge (F. W. Ridge & Sons Ltd)

?–Active 1970

Decorator of bone china and earthenware at the Heron Cross Pottery, Hines St, Fenton.

Ridgways

Ridgways (Bedford Works) Ltd.

(1873–1920), 1920–1952

Earthenware manufacturer at the Bedford Works, Shelton. Formerly ‘Ridgways’ (1873–1920). John and Edward Ridgway and Joseph Sparks were in partnership at the Bedford Works, Shelton, from about 1873 and from 1879 to 1920 the concern traded simply as ‘Ridgways’. The business was incorporated under the name Ridgways (Bedford Works) Ltd in 1920 and members of the Ridgway family remained in control of the firm until it was acquired by Cauldon Potteries Ltd in 1929.

Ridgways (Bedford Works) Ltd operated under its own name within the Cauldon Group and was sold when its parent was placed in receivership in 1932. The purchaser, Globe Pottery Co. Ltd, was an associate company of Wood & Sons Ltd and Ridgways traded as a Wood & Sons Ltd company until the Globe Pottery Co. Ltd (and its much larger and important subsidiary) was sold to the Lawley Group in 1948. In 1953 the Lawley Group reorganised their extensive pottery interest and the Group’s potteries, including the Bedford Works, became part of Ridgeway & Adderley Ltd.

In the 20th century, Ridgways was a large manufacturer of mid-range domestic earthenware, ornamental earthenware, sanitary pottery and tiles. The company developed an extensive export business to North America, specialising in tableware decorated in traditional 19th century patterns. Trade names include ‘Ridgway’ and ‘Bedford Ware’. The Ridgway marks are diverse and probably include marks used by the predecessor businesses. The Ridgway name is usually present. See the entry for Ridgway & Adderley Ltd.

Ridgway & Adderley Ltd

1952–1954

Manufacturer of earthenware and china at the Bedford Works, Shelton, the Gainsborough Works (formerly the Daisy Bank Pottery), Longton and other Stoke-on-Trent potteries. In 1953, the Lawley Group, owners of Adderleys Ltd and of Ridgways (Bedford Works) Ltd reorganised their extensive pottery interest at Stoke under the new company name Ridgway & Adderley Ltd. In addition to the Adderleys Ltd and Ridgways (Bedford Works) Ltd factories, the new company included the factories of the North Staffordshire Pottery Co. Ltd, Portland Pottery Ltd, Globe Pottery Co. Ltd and Adderley Floral China. Ridgway & Adderley Ltd merged with Booths & Colcloughs Ltd in 1954 and from the 1st January 1955 was known as Ridgway, Adderley, Booths & Colcloughs. The shorter style Ridgway Potteries Ltd was adopted from 28th February 1955.

Ridgway & Adderley Ltd was a holding company that manufactured through its subsidiaries and there are no known Ridgway & Adderley Ltd marks. See the entry for Ridgway Potteries Ltd.

Ridgway, Adderley, Booths & Colcloughs Ltd

1954–1955

Manufacturer of china and earthenware at numerous locations in the Potteries. See the entries for Ridgway & Adderley Ltd and for Ridgway Potteries Ltd.

Ridgway Potteries Ltd

1955–Post–1972

Manufacturer of earthenware and bone china at numerous factories in and around Stoke-on-Trent. Formerly Ridgway & Adderley Ltd. The Lawley Group, owner of Ridgway & Adderley Ltd, acquired managerial control of Booths & Colcloughs Ltd in 1953 (both groups were already owned by S. Pearson & Son Ltd, the operating company of Lord Cowdray’s industrial empire). The two subsidiaries were finally merged, from 1st January 1955, as Ridgway, Adderley, Booths & Colcloughs Ltd, but the simpler style Ridgway Potteries Ltd was adopted from 28th February 1955.

As part of the restructure, in addition to ‘acquiring’ Booths and Colclough Ltd, Ridgway Potteries Ltd became the holding company for the associated businesses of Adderleys Ltd, the Globe Pottery Co. Ltd, the North Staffordshire Pottery Co. Ltd, and the Portland Pottery Ltd. In 1964 the Lawley Group Ltd acquired Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Co. Ltd and Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd, and the expanded Lawley Group adopted the name Allied English Potteries Ltd. Ridgway Potteries Ltd continued to operate as a subsidiary of Allied English Potteries until the merger with Royal Doulton in 1972. The ‘Ridgway Earthenware’ trade name was used by Doulton until at least 1982.

Ridgway Potteries Ltd operated up to eight earthenware and china factories and trade names included Royal Adderley Fine Bone China, Adderley Floral China, Colclough Bone China, Vale and Royal Vale Bone China, Ridgway Earthenware, Booths Fine Tableware, Royal Malvern and Royal Swan.

Ridgway Potteries Ltd was also an important supplier to the hotel, ship and restaurant trades under the names Ridgway Vitrock, Ridgway Vitrified Hotelware, Ridgway Steelite, and Globe Vitrified Hotelware. The subsidiary companies continued to use their own marks, however, from c.1960 the marks may include the words ‘A Product of Ridgway Potteries Ltd’. See the entry for Allied English Potteries Ltd.

Rigby & Stevenson

1894–1954

Earthenware manufacturer at the Boston Works (to 1907) and then at the Pelham Street Work, Hanley. The business was concentrated with that of W. H. Grindley & Co. Ltd at the Woodland Pottery from 1941, but re-opened in 1945, only to close in 1954. Rigby & Stevenson were makers of utilitarian domestic earthenware—jugs, bowls, butter dishes and the like.

Robinson Bros

Robinson (John Robinson & Son)

(1897–1904), 1905–1933

Robinson Bros manufactured stoneware at the Castleford and Allerton Potteries, Castleford, Yorkshire from 1897 to 1904. The business became John Robinson & Son in 1905 and closed in 1933.

Robinson (J. A. Robinson & Sons Ltd)

1910–Mid-1930s?

Manufacturer of earthenware and china at numerous Staffordshire potteries. J. A. Robinson & Sons Ltd was established by Harold Taylor Robinson in 1910 as a holding company for his many pottery businesses. It is uncertain whether J. A. Robinson actually manufactured in its own right, but its subsidiary or associated businesses included Charles Ford, Robinson & Leadbeater, Wardle & Co. Ltd (Wardle’s Art Pottery Co. Ltd), Arkinstall & Sons Ltd (from c.1912) and Ford & Pointon Ltd (from 1919). J. A. Robinson & Sons Ltd and its subsidiaries became part of Cauldon Potteries Ltd when the latter company was established by H. T. Robinson in 1920. There is no public record of the company following the collapse of Cauldon Potteries Ltd in 1932.

Robinson & Son

1881–1903

Bone china manufacturer at the Foley China Works, Longton. Subsequently this business operated as E. Brain & Co. Ltd.

Robinson (W. H. Robinson)

1901–1904

Bone china manufacturer at the Baltimore Works, Longton. The business used the trade name ‘Baltimore China’.

Robinson & Leadbeater (Ltd)

1864–1924 (Inc. 1908)

Earthenware manufacturer at Wolfe St, Stoke. The business became insolvent in 1904 and by 1906 was controlled by H. T. Robinson. It became a subsidiary of J. A. Robinson & Sons Ltd in about 1910 and is believed to have closed in about 1924. In the 19th century, Robinson & Leadbeater were manufacturers of high quality Parian busts and Parian statuary.

Roeginga Pottery

1938–1946

The Roeginga Pottery was established as a studio pottery by Oscar and Grace Davis at Rainham, Kent, in 1938 following the sale of their nearby Upchurch Pottery. Edward Baker, son of the long-time manager of the Upchurch Pottery, managed the new Pottery, but in 1939 it was closed due to wartime restrictions. The Pottery reopened in 1947 as the Rainham Pottery. Roeginga produced attractive, simply designed ornamental earthenware. The pottery’s mark was an ‘R’ inscribed into the clay. See the entry for the Rainham Pottery Ltd.

Rolle Quay Pottery

c.1895–c.1937

See the entry for the Baron Pottery.

Roper & Meredith

1913–1924

Earthenware manufacturer at the Garfield Pottery, Longton.

Rosemary Art Ware

?–Active 1970

Manufacturer of bone china floral fancies and earthenware animal models at King St, Fenton. The proprietor of Rosemary Art Ware was Ms F. L. Hall.

Rosina China Co. Ltd.

1941–1988

Bone china manufacturer at the Queen’s Pottery, Sutherland Rd, Longton. Formerly George Warrilow & Sons Ltd, the company assumed the Rosina China name in 1941 when it was acquired by Mr Oswald Shufflebottom and family, the owners of a wholesale pottery and glass business in Manchester. In September 1987 the firm merged with Elizabethan Fine Bone China Ltd (formerly Taylor & Kent Ltd) also owned by the Shufflebottom family. The Rosina (and Elizabethan) business operated under the umbrella of Crownford Holdings Ltd from June 1988 and then as a new entity Crownford China Co. Ltd from January 1989. Crownford was absorbed into the Churchill China Group in 1994. Rosina’s ‘Queens China’ trade name was also used by Crownford China and was subsequently adopted as a Churchill China brand name. Rosina China Co. Ltd manufactured bone china tea and coffee sets, teapots, souvenir ware, figurines, china jewellery and floral china. All marks have a crown and the name ‘Rosina’.

Roslyn China Ltd

1946–1963

Bone china manufacturer at the Park Place Works, Longton. Formerly Reid & Co. Roslyn China Ltd was a member of Thomas C. Wild’s (Royal Albert) group of companies and manufactured mid-range bone china teaware and tableware. The company was closed in July 1963 shortly before the merger of Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd and the Lawley Group Ltd. Roslyn China Ltd produced well-made bone china ware that is of no particular artistic or historical interest. The company used the trade names ‘Roslyn China’ and ‘Nu-Era’ and all marks include the ‘Roslyn’ name. See the entry for Reid & Co for the earlier history of the business.

Royal Adderley Floral

1964?–Post-1973

Name adopted for the former Adderley Floral China Works (Ridgway Potteries Ltd). Godden (1988) suggests the Adderley Floral China business was re-titled as ‘Royal Adderley Floral’ in 1973 following its absorption into Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd. The Royal Adderley Floral (China) name, however, first appears in the Pottery Gazette in 1964, and in 1969 ‘Royal Adderley Floral’ is referred to as a division of Ridgway Potteries Ltd, one of the Allied English Potteries Ltd companies. See the entry for Adderley Floral China Works (Ridgway Potteries Ltd).

Royal Albert Ltd

1970–?

Manufacturer of fine bone china as part of the Wedgwood Group. Formerly Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd.

The famous Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd, makers of ‘Royal Albert’ china, was taken over by Pearson & Son Ltd in 1964. The new acquisition was merged by Pearson’s into their Lawley Group Ltd to form Allied English Potteries Ltd although Wild and the other member companies continued to trade under their own, well-known, names.

In 1970, Allied English Potteries Ltd renamed its Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd subsidiary as Royal Albert Ltd. Two years later, in 1972, the various Allied English Potteries Ltd companies were subsumed into Royal Doulton following Doulton’s acquisition by the Pearson Group. Royal Albert Ltd continued to operate as a unit of Royal Doulton at the St Mary’s Works until the historic works were closed in 1998 with the loss of many hundreds of jobs. Manufacture of ‘Royal Albert’ ware was transferred to other Doulton factories and to Doulton’s manufacturing plant in Indonesia, and from December 2002 UK production of ‘Royal Albert’ ceased.

Between 1972 and 2002, as a Royal Doulton company, Royal Albert Ltd continued to manufacture the traditional fine bone china tableware and teawares made by its famous predecessor. Harold Holdcroft’s Old Country Roses, introduced in 1962, remain as the flagship of the Royal Albert brand and continues in production as one of the world’s most popular and well known china patterns. Designer Peter Roberts succeeded Holdcroft in 1972 and floral patterns continued to dominate the Royal Albert offering. In addition to teaware, the Royal Albert name has been used on fine dinnerware, giftware and commemoratives, especially those with a Royal connection.

Royal Albert Ltd marks include a multicolour floral spray, the pattern name and the company name. ‘Royal Albert’ was registered as a trade name in 1993 and in 2005 it became a Waterford-Wedgwood fine china brand. For the earlier history of ‘Royal Albert’ see the entry for Wild (Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd).

Royal Albion China Co.

1921–1948

Manufacturer of bone china at Albion St, Longton. Royal Albion acquired the business of Redfern & Drakeford Ltd in 1933 and that of the Doric China Co. Ltd, a floral china manufacturer, in about 1935. It appears that floral china manufacture came to dominate the business and Royal Albion is later referred to as an associate business of the Doric China Co. The owner of both businesses, John Herbert Dale, died in 1948 and the Doric assets (and presumably those of Royal Albion) were sold to the principles of the new Jason China Co. Ltd. Royal Albion produced bone china teaware and tableware. Marks include a crown and the company name.

Royal Aller Vale & Watcombe Pottery Co.

c.1901–1962

Manufacturer of earthenware at Newton Abbott, Devon. Following the death of John Phillips in 1897 the Aller Vale Art Pottery was acquired by clay merchants Hexter Humperson & Co. Ltd and in 1901 they merged Aller Vale with the Watcombe Pottery under the style ‘Royal Aller Vale and Watcombe Pottery Co’. The Aller Vale pottery was apparently closed in 1924, but the pottery at Watcombe continued in the same ownership and under the Royal Aller Vale and Watcombe Pottery Co. name until Hexter Humperson closed the business in 1962 due to rising costs. Like its predecessors, the Aller Vale Art Pottery and the Watcombe Pottery, the business was an important and large scale manufacturer of the typical Devon motto ware—domestic wares made in the local red clay, slip dipped and inscribed with a simple verse or saying. The company did not produce art wares. From 1958 to 1962 the name ‘Royal Watcombe’ was used.

Royal Cauldon Potteries Ltd

1970s–1980s?

A business of this name operated (and may still operate) from Pottery Lane, Ferrybridge, Knottingley, Yorkshire. The right to the famous ‘Cauldon’ name was purchased by Pountney & Co. Ltd in 1962, and both Pountney and its successor Cauldon Bristol Potteries Ltd produced wares under the Royal Cauldon trade name. Rights to use the Cauldon name passed to A. G. Richardson & Co. Ltd in about 1972, and then to Enoch Wedgwood (Tunstall) Ltd in about 1974.

Although unconfirmed, the name was apparently purchased by T. Brown & Sons Ltd who operating at the Ferrybridge Pottery and it was then purchased, in the early 1980s (1984?), by the owners of the Kingston Pottery at Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire. The Kingston Pottery closed in 1985 and a note in Tableware International (Vol. 16(2), page 24) notes that ‘Burton-on-Trent based pottery, Mason Cash, has acquired Cauldon Potteries of Ferrybridge, West Yorkshire’. A further note in Tableware International (Vol. 16(2), page 190) suggests that Mason Cash & Co. Ltd intended to continue and expand the business at the Ferrybridge site. Later owners of the name are unclear.

Royal Copenhagen Porcelain Co. Ltd

1930–?

A company established and controlled by the Royal Porcelain Manufactory of Copenhagen for the import and distribution of Danish ceramics in the United Kingdom.

Royal Creamware

?–Active 2009

Royal Creamware is a trading name of the modern Grimwades Ltd. Under the Royal Creamware name, Grimwades Ltd produce handcrafted creamware for collectors and high value customers. Many of the pieces are faithfully modeled on 18th century originals including hand pierced items. Also included in the Royal Creamware range are collectors’ plates, ‘masterpieces’ and limited editions, as well as more the more mundane clocks, photo frames and lamp bases, many also intricately pierced. See the entry for Grimwades Ltd.

Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Co. Ltd

1890–Active 2009

Bone china manufacturer at Osmaston Rd, Derby. The Derby Crown Porcelain Co. was established in 1876 by Edward Phillips and William Litherland and, other than location, had no connection with the earlier porcelain manufacturers in the city of Derby. Use of the title ‘Royal’ was granted by Queen Victoria in 1890 and the company changed, in name only, to Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Co. Ltd. The other independent porcelain factory in Derby, the King Street Works, was acquired in 1935 consolidating the Derby porcelain industry in one company.

In 1927, Harold Taylor Robinson, a Staffordshire pottery entrepreneur took control of Royal Crown Derby and for several years served as its chairman. Robinson was declared bankrupt in 1932, but after emerging from bankruptcy in 1934 he rebuilt his holding and by 1939 was again chairman with a controlling interest in the business. He remained chairman of the company until his death in 1953 and was succeeded in the position by his son Philip I. Robinson.

In 1964 the company was purchased by the S. Pearson & Son Ltd and became part of the Pearson Group’s Allied English Potteries Ltd. Following Pearson’s acquisition of Doulton & Co. Ltd in November 1971, Allied English Potteries Ltd was merged with the Doulton group and Royal Crown Derby became an independently trading subsidiary of Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd. Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Co. Ltd continued as a subsidiary of Royal Doulton plc from 1993 until 2000 when there was a management buy-out led by Hugh Gibson a former Royal Doulton executive and member of the Pearson family. Since the 1st July 2000 the company has remained a leading independent manufacturer of tableware and giftware.

The predecessor company Derby Crown Porcelain Co. produced good quality tableware, figurines, and decorative goods. ‘Japan’ patterns in underglaze blue, enamelled in green and red and with gilding are the best known products from the early years. Artist Desire Leroy joined Royal Crown Derby in 1890 and created a style of elaborate enamelling and gilding now synonymous with Royal Crown Derby.

As part of Allied English Potteries and then Royal Doulton, the company diversified into giftware and series ware for the collectors’ market, in many cases maintaining the link to its past through the use of the Imari colour palette and extensive gilding. Paperweights modelled by Robert Jefferson and decorated in traditional Derby colours were introduced in 1981 and have become an important company product. Listed in the Crown Derby section of the 2005 Royal Doulton catalogue are new paperweights (priced at £199 and £299), a general range of animal models, Collectors Guild exclusive animal models, ‘Treasures of Childhood’ series ware, miniature bears and additions to the ‘Japan’ (Old Imari–pattern 1128) gold banded giftware. Traditional Imari teaware is still produced on antique shapes and in the time-honoured patterns. The new, independent Royal Crown Derby has retained and expanded the product range and there is an active Collectors Guild. The Royal Crown Derby mark is the famous monogram surmounted by a crown. Year cyphers were used from 1882 to 1958 and can be used to date items. From 1959 on, most wares carry a printed date.

Royal Devon Art Pottery

c.1894–c.1929

Manufacturer of ornamental earthenware and art pottery at Barnstable, Devon. Alexander Lauder owner of the Marland Brick and Tile Works, Barnstable, adopted the name Royal Devon Art Pottery for his business in about 1894. Lauder was a former art teacher and the pottery’s wares included sgraffito and slip decorated ornamental earthenware, Devon motto ware and other decorative earthenware. Lauder died in 1921 and the Pottery closed in the late-1920s. The Pottery’s wares are marked with an impressed or inscribed ‘LAUDER BARUM’.

Royal Doulton plc

1993-2005

See the entry for Doulton (Royal Doulton plc)

Royal Grafton

1971–1985

A trading name used by A. B. Jones & Sons Ltd (1900–1971), by Crown Lynn Ceramics (UK) Ltd from 1971 to 1985, and subsequently by other owners of the business. See the entries for Crown Lynn Ceramics (UK) Ltd and Royal Grafton China Ltd.

Royal Grafton China Ltd

1985–1992

Manufacturer of bone china at the Grafton Works, Marlborough Rd, Longton. Royal Grafton China Ltd was the name adopted following a management buyout of Crown Lynn Ceramics (UK) Ltd, owner of the ‘Royal Grafton’ trade name and the Grafton Works (formerly the business of A. B. Jones & Sons Ltd, 1900–1972). The new owners, Anthony Boulton, John Bullock and Stanley Nicholls, positioned the new Royal Grafton business as ‘the leading independent manufacturer of fine bone china’ producing dinnerware, mugs, collectors’ plates, personalised lines and giftware. The company continued to use the ‘Royal Grafton’ trade name and ‘wreath and crown’ mark first used by A. B. Jones & Sons Ltd.

Royal Grafton China Ltd was acquired by John Tams in 1992 and Tams used the acquisition to expand into bone china using the trade names ‘Royal Grafton’ and ‘Grafton Living’.

Royal Stafford China (Ltd) (I)

1952–1980

Manufacturer of bone china at the Cobden Works, Cooke St, Longton. Royal Stafford was the trade name used by Thomas Poole (c.1880–1925) and the successor businesses Thomas Poole (Longton) Ltd (1925–1952) and Thomas Poole & Gladstone China Ltd (1948–1973). From about 1952, Thomas Poole (Longton) Ltd (by then a subsidiary of TPGC Ltd) appears to have operated under its trade name of Royal Stafford China or, possibly, Royal Stafford China Ltd. In 1970 TPGC Ltd acquired the British Anchor Pottery Co. Ltd and the latter’s Hostess Tableware name was adopted as the umbrella for TPGC’s ceramics businesses.

In 1973 TPGC Ltd sold Hostess Tableware including the Royal Stafford and British Anchor brands to the Clough Group and a business with the name Royal Stafford China Ltd, operating at the Cobden Works, is included in a list of Clough subsidiaries published in July 1975. Clough, or its successor Grindley of Stoke (Ceramics) Ltd, sold Royal Stafford China Ltd to John Maddock & Sons Ltd in the late 1970s. Maddock, however, entered receivership in 1980 and was purchased by a group of investors whom, from 1981, adopted the name Royal Stafford China Ltd for their new company. Marks, many also used by the predecessor companies, include the well known ‘Royal Stafford’ trade name. See entry for Royal Stafford China Ltd (II).

Royal Stafford China Ltd (II)

1981–1992

Manufacturer of bone china tableware and vitreous earthenware at Newcastle St, Burslem. John Maddock & Sons Ltd, owner of the Royal Stafford name since the late 1970s was placed in receivership in December 1980. The Maddock assets including the Newcastle St factory, the stock and the Maddock and Royal Stafford names were purchased by Nubell Ltd a company owned by entrepreneur David Quayle. Nubell Ltd changed its name to Royal Stafford China Ltd in June 1981. According to Godden (1991) County Potteries plc owner of Carlton Ware Ltd and James Kent Ltd acquired Royal Staffordshire (sic) China Ltd in 1988. County Potteries plc went into receivership in 1989, but Royal Stafford China Ltd continued to trade and in 1992 the company merged with Barratts of Staffordshire Ltd to form Royal Stafford Tableware Ltd operating from Barratt’s historic Royal Overhouse Pottery in Burslem. Royal Stafford China Ltd produced earthenware and fine bone china tableware and giftware using the Royal Stafford brand name, and hotelware marketed as Maddock Hotelware.

Royal Stafford Tableware Ltd (RST Ltd)

1992–Active 2009

Manufacturer of bone china and earthenware at the Royal Overhouse Manufactury, Overhouse St, Burslem. Royal Stafford Tableware Ltd was formed in March 1992 through the merger of Royal Stafford China Ltd and Barratts of Staffordshire Ltd. The company produces contemporary tableware, giftware and hotelware in both bone china and earthenware and marks include the long-lived ‘Royal Stafford’ name. Since 2007, Royal Stafford Tableware Ltd (or RST Ltd) has been owned by Lifestyle Holdings Ltd of Rickmansworth, London, also the owner of Poole Pottery (2007) Ltd. Both companies operate from the historic Royal Overhouse Manufactury, Burslem

Royal Sutherland

1975–?

‘Sutherland China’ was a trade name of Hudson & Middleton Ltd operating at the Sutherland Pottery. A note in Tableware International in April 1975 (Vol 5, page 32) refers to Hudson & Middleton’s production of Royal Sutherland fine china being transferred from the Sutherland Pottery to the Jon Anton factory. This occurred just prior to the owners, Barker Ellis Silver Co. Ltd, closing and selling its Hudson & Middleton Ltd business. Speculatively, Barker Ellis took the Royal Sutherland brand and continued production at the former Jon Anton works whilst other brand names (Hudson & Middleton, Royal Kendal) were sold with the Hudson & Middleton Ltd business in July 1975. It is not clear whether ‘Royal Sutherland’ was adopted as a business name in addition to its use as a trade name. The Royal Sutherland name was used on bone china tableware and giftware, including thimbles. See also the entry for Hudson & Middleton Ltd.

Royal Tara

1953–Active 2009

Manufacturer of fine bone china at Tara Hall, Mervue, Galwey, Ireland. Royal Tara was established in 1953 by Kerry O’Sullivan and manufactures bone china tableware and ornamental china, much decorated with Irish themes and targeted to the United States market. O’Sullivan died in 1977 and the business was sold in December 1977 to a group of businessmen from Cavan. Under the new management the factory has concentrated on giftware with Irish themes, and collectors’ editions made in fine bone china.

Royal Watcombe (Pottery)

1958-1962

See the entry for the Royal Aller Vale & Watcombe Pottery Co.

Royal Windsor

1971–1976

The Co-operative Wholesale Society’s bone china business operated from the Windsor Pottery, Longton and used the trade names ‘Windsor’ and ‘Clarence China’. The business was sold in 1971 to Hammersley China (Longton) Ltd, a subsidiary of the Carborundum Corporation, and appears to have been run as a separate business under the name ‘Royal Windsor’. In 1976 Carborundum sold its tableware interest including Spode Ltd, Hammersley China and ‘Royal Windsor’ to the Royal Worcester Porcelain Co. Ltd.

Royal Winton (Pottery)

Pre-1978–Active 2008 (as Grimwades Ltd)

Earthenware (subsequently bone china) manufacturer at various locations (and under varied ownership) in the Staffordshire Potteries. ‘Royal Winton’ was the well known trade name used by Grimwades Ltd who occupied the Winton Pottery from c.1886. The Howard Pottery Co. Ltd acquired Grimwades Ltd in January 1964 and moved the manufacturing of Grimwades ornamental ware to the Howard Pottery Co. Ltd premises at Norfolk St, Shelton. Wares produced at Norfolk St were marketed as ‘Royal Winton’. In 1974 the Howard Pottery Group was acquired by Taunton Vale Industries a manufacturer of homewares and table accessories and in February 1978 the holding company for the acquisition, Taunton Vale Industries (Potteries) Ltd, changed its name to that of the ‘Royal Winton Pottery’. The Royal Winton name and business were subsequently owned by Staffordshire Potteries (Holdings) Ltd (October 1979–July 1986) and then by Coloroll Housewares Group (1986–1990) where it also traded as ‘Royal Winton, A member of the Coloroll Ceramics Division’. Coloroll entered receivership in mid-1990 and ‘Royal Winton’ was purchased by its management in August 1990. There was a further change of ownership in 1995 and the new owners have reverted to the original company name of Grimwades Ltd, while continuing to trade as ‘Royal Winton’.

As a member of the Howard Pottery group and under the succeeding owners, Royal Winton manufactured ‘fancy’ earthenware—vases, ashtrays, table accessories etc. Production of chinz-decorated wares ceased in the early 1960s, but was reintroduced in 1997 by the current owners on bone china tableware and giftware. See the entries for Grimwades Ltd (I) and Grimwades Ltd (II).

Royale Stratford

1976–2005

Manufacturer of teaware, tableware and giftware in both bone china and earthenware at St Mary’s Mill, Uttoxeter Rd, Longton. Royale Stratford was founded in 1976 by Mr. John Hinks to produce fine china giftware. Mr. Hinks sold his interest in the company in 1999, but remained as a consultant to the new owners. The business failed in 2005. The company produced a wide range of giftware including figurines, animal models, traditional Staffordshire dogs, floral china, china trinket boxes, stirrup cups etc. Tableware included one-cup teapots, mugs, and general tableware. The company mark was a crown below the Royale Stratford name.

RST Ltd

1992–Active 2009

Manufacturer of bone china and earthenware at the Royal Overhouse Manufactury, Overhouse St, Burslem. See the entry for Royal Stafford Tableware Ltd.

Rubian Art Pottery Ltd

1906–1933

Earthenware manufacturer at the Park Works, Fenton. Rubian Art Pottery produced art wares under the ‘Rubay Art Ware’ name. The company was owned by Grimwades Ltd from c.1913 (possibly from 1906-07). Grimwades continued to use the ‘Rubian Art Pottery’ name in backstamps in conjunction with ‘Grimwades’ into the 1930s.

Ruskin Pottery

1898–1935

Earthenware (art pottery) manufacturer at Smethwick, Birmingham. Originally titled the ‘Birmingham Tile and Pottery Works’, the Ruskin Pottery was established by Edward R. Taylor, Principal at the Birmingham School of Art, for his son William Howson Taylor. Named after philosopher John Ruskin, the pottery produced ornamental wares decorated with proprietary glazes. Howson Taylor was one of the first to experiment with high-fired metallic oxide glazes and the wares, with their interesting shapes and spectacular metallic, matt and crystalline glaze effects were exhibited widely and drew international attention.

Howson Taylor’s ceramics are recognised as some of the most attractive and important UK ceramic works inspired by the arts & crafts and art nouveau movements. The pottery was closed by Taylor in 1934 when he retired to concentrate on his other interest—horticulture. He died in September 1935. The Ruskin Pottery wares are marked with an impressed ‘RUSKIN ENGLAND’ and many also have an impressed year. They are highly sought.

Rye Plaque Co. Ltd

Early 1970s–Active 2009

Manufacturer of house name plaques at The Mint, Rye, East Sussex. See the entry for Sharp (David Sharp Pottery).

Rye Pottery Ltd

1947–Active 2009

Earthenware and stoneware manufacturer at the Bellevue Pottery, Rye, East Sussex. The Rye Pottery was founded by Frederick Mitchell in 1869 and was worked continuously until closed in 1939. The Pottery was reopened after the Second World War by John and Walter Cole who had trained as potters and sculptors in the 1930s and had interests in teaching and design. John Cole left the Pottery in the early-1960s to take up a teaching position and the partnership with his brother Walter Cole ended in 1965.

Walter Cole continued the now substantial business until his retirement in 1978 and the Pottery has been continued by his son Tarquin Cole and other family members. John Cole died in 1988 and Walter Cole in January 1999.

Early Rye wares were mainly majolica. In the difficult years following the end of the Second World War the Coles’ made the traditional rustic Rye pottery (vases, bowls, mugs, jugs, ashtrays etc), slip-decorated wares and Delft ware. The easing of decorating restrictions in the early-1950s allowed the Coles to expand the range of wares and Rye has since manufactured a vast array of ornamental ware and giftware including traditional Sussex pigs (beer mugs in the form of a pig), majolica ware, commemorative ware, coffee ware, engraved advertising ware, tiles etc. Tableware was produced from the late-1950s, but phased out in the late-1970s in favour of the giftware ranges. Studio pottery was made by Walter Cole from the 1980s until his death in 1999. The Rye Pottery wares are marked with the ‘Rye’ name, often within a circular seal.