Oakes – Quinnell

Scroll to locate a company on the list, click to view.

Company name
2
3

Oakes (Earnest J. Oakes Ltd)

?–Post-1945

Decorator at The Beeches, Endon, Stoke. Active post-1945.

Old Hall Porcelain Works Ltd

1886–1902

Manufacturer of earthenware and china at the Old Hall Pottery, Hanley.

Ollivant Potteries Ltd

1948–1954

Earthenware manufacturer at the Etruscan Works, Stoke. The business closed in 1954.

Orchard Pottery

1980–Active 2009

A studio pottery established in 1980 as a partnership between Doreen Gardner and Tony Smither at Bere Ferrers, Yelverton, Devon. The Orchard Pottery designs and manufactures sculptural birds, animals and even stones for decorative and garden use.

Orr Ceramics Ltd

?–1976

Earthenware manufacturer at Lybster, Caithness, Scotland. Orr Ceramics made domestic earthenware and giftware including mugs, coffee sets, bowls, storage jars, serving plates, jam pots and tankards. Figurines in traditional Highland dress were also made. Sally Orr produced Scottish-influenced designs that were silk-screened and applied as a transfer print to some of the wares. The company was purchased by Caithness Glass in March 1976 and renamed the Lybster Pottery.

Osborne China Co. Ltd

1909–1937 (c.1940)

China manufacturer at Mount Pleasant, Longton. The Osborne China business was acquired by H. J. Colclough, possibly as early as 1918. The businesses of Osborne China, Herbert J. Colclough and Thomas Morris were combined to form Colclough China Ltd in 1937, although the Osborne China name may have continued in use to 1940 or 1941.

Oxney Green (Ltd)

c.1990–?

A company established by Dennis and David Townsend in c.1990 to cater for the large scale manufacture of Iden Pottery wares, mainly for export to the United States. Wares were stamped with a black seal mark ‘Oxney Green’.

Oxshott Pottery

1920–Active 2009

A studio pottery established by Henry and Denise Wren at Oxshott, Surrey in 1920. The Pottery operated at Oxshott until about 1979 when the business was moved to Exeter, Devon, under the management of daughter Rosemary Wren and Peter Crotty. Other moves followed and from 1990 the pottery has been located at Strathpeffer, Inverness, Scotland. Oxshott Pottery wares include ornamental and domestic earthenware, art pottery and animal (bird) models. Wares are inscribed ‘Oxshott’ on the base and Rosemary Wren’s wares have an additional small impressed seal with the outline of a bird in flight.

Palissy Pottery Ltd

1946–1989

Earthenware manufacturer at the Palissy Pottery, Chancery Lane, Longton. Formerly A. E. Jones (Longton) Ltd. The A. E. Jones (Longton) Ltd business closed in 1941 as part of the wartime Concentration Scheme and re-opened as the Palissy Pottery Ltd in 1946 under the management of Mr Christopher Clifford. The business was owned and managed by Mr Clifford from 1950 until the entire shareholding was acquired by the Worcester Royal Porcelain Co. Ltd in 1958. Production of tableware continued under the Palissy name until 1989 when Royal Worcester closed the business and sold the name to Aynsley China Ltd. The Pottery was demolished in August 1989.

The Palissy Pottery Ltd produced good quality domestic tableware, giftware and fancy earthenware. From 1958 under the influence of Royal Worcester designers, the Palissy Pottery produced high quality, attractively decorated earthenware that is probably under-appreciated today. Palissy’s ‘Game Birds’ series bears a remarkable resemblance to the Spode originals and some of the tea and coffee ware produced in the 1970s rank with those of Portmeirion and Hornsea as iconic designs of the period. The name ‘Palissy Pottery’ is prominent in the marks used by the business, some of which were also used by the former A. E. Jones (Longton) Ltd business. Post-1958 marks include reference to Royal Worcester.

Paragon China Co. (Ltd)

1920–1991 (Inc. 1930)

Manufacturer of bone china at the Atlas Works, Longton. Formerly Star China Co. (1899-1919). In 1919 the Star China Co. changed its name and from 1920 operated as the Paragon China Co. The owners were Herbert James Aynsley and his son-in-law Hugh Irving. The partnership was dissolved in 1927 when Aynsley retired and Hugh Irving became sole proprietor of the business which he incorporated as Paragon China Co. Ltd in 1930. Irving’s sons, Leslie and Guy Irving joined the business in 1928 and 1933 respectively and it continued to be a family concern until it was acquired by Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd in 1960.

Paragon China continued to trade under its own name as part of the Wild group of companies until 1964, and then as part of Allied English Potteries Ltd (1964-1972) and, from 1972, as part of Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd. Doulton continued use of the Paragon name as part of its Royal Albert business, but by 1989 the name and patterns had been largely absorbed into the Royal Albert brand. Royal Doulton discontinued use of the Paragon name from about 1991.

Paragon China produced high quality bone china teaware and tableware competitive with the wares of Aynsley, Shelley and the other fine china manufacturers. The patronage of royalty and the grant of Royal Warrants in 1933 and 1938 were used by the company to promote their wares. Decoration tended to be formal and restrained, but there are some sophisticated art deco shape and patterns. The company was an important manufacturer of nursery ware and in the mid-1930s commissioned designs by the well known artist Eileen Soper and promoted the wares using her name.

From the 1950s, the Paragon wares tended to the conventional in design, and giftware and commemorative items became important products. The Paragon marks emphasise the connection to royalty and include one or, in some marks, two coats of arms.

Paramount Pottery Co. Ltd

1946–?

Earthenware manufacturer at Ranleigh St, Hanley. Established by Charles Griffith Bowers in 1946, the Paramount Pottery was the base for Bower’s acquisition of other pottery companies ultimately to be known as members of the ‘Keele Street Pottery Group’ or ‘KSP’. The Paramount Pottery business later moved to Meir Airport as a production unit of Staffordshire Potteries Ltd. Whilst independent, the company was a small producer of hollow ware and cottage ware.

Parkinson (Richard Parkinson Ltd)

1952–1963

Maker of animal models and figurines at Brabourne Lees, Ashford, Kent. Richard and Susan Parkinson designed and made attractive slip-cast and hand-decorated animal models in abstract form, figurines and table accessories. The business closed in 1963 and some of the moulds were acquired by the Cinque Ports Pottery, Rye. The business was also known as the Parkinson Pottery.

Parrott & Co. (Ltd)

c.1921–Post-1941

Earthenware manufacturer at the Albert Street Pottery, Burslem. The pottery was vacated in 1941 under the wartime Concentration Scheme, but the business continued to operate from the Middleport Pottery of Burgess & Leigh Ltd.

Patterson (George Patterson & Co.)

1851–1904

Earthenware manufacturer at the Sherif Hill Pottery, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland. The company produced transfer printed domestic earthenware for local markets and for export across the North Sea to the Baltic States.

Pearce (Alfred B. Pearce)

1866–1940

A retailer of earthenware and china at Ludgate Hill, London. Pearce had dinnerware and teaware manufactured to specification and marked with its own backstamp in the manner of Lawleys and Thomas Goode.

Pearl Pottery (Burslem) Ltd

c.1930–1942

Godden (1991) notes that a company of this name operated at the Stych Pottery, Burslem from about 1930 to 1942.

Pearl Pottery Co. (Ltd)

1894–1936

Earthenware manufacturer at the Brook Street Potteries, Hanley. The name was changed to the New Pearl Pottery Co. Ltd in 1936 and the firm closed in 1941. Although little known, the Pearl Pottery produced some high quality and collectible decorative earthenware and tableware. There are examples of classic art nouveau decorated vases marked with the Pearl Pottery backstamp and the words ‘Cranston Pottery’. In the 1930s the company was the producer of striking hand painted art deco tableware designed by the popular actress Ednah Best and sold using her name. Most marks include a prominent ‘PP’ or ‘PP Co. Ltd’ on a banner across twin globes. See also the entry for Best (Ednah Best).

Pearson & Co.

Pearson & Co. (Chesterfield) Ltd.

(c.1810–1922), 1922–1982

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at Whittington Moor Potteries, Chesterfield, Derbyshire. The Whittington Moor Pottery was acquired by the Pearson family in about 1810 and was managed successively by Catharine Johnson (nee Pearson), and her brothers James and Theophilus Pearson under the name Pearson & Co. Management of the business passed to the sons of James Pearson (James Jnr, Johnson and Arthur) and Theophilus Pearson (Theophilus Jnr). The business was incorporated as a limited private company in 1922 and adopted the style Pearson & Co. (Chesterfield) Ltd.

Johnson Pearson died in 1930 and his son, Theophilus, became chairman and joint managing director with Frederick. S. Short who had joined the business in 1928. In 1939 James Pearson & Co., a stoneware pottery founded by James Pearson Jnr, was acquired and consolidated with the parent company. The death of Theophilus Pearson in 1959 and that of his wife, Mrs V. M. Pearson in 1961 ended the Pearson family association with the business and control passed to the managing director Mr F. S. Short. By 1969 the Pearson Group included the Whittington Moor Potteries of Pearson & Co. (Chesterfield) Ltd, Ault Potteries Ltd of Swadlincote and Abbeydale New Bone China Co. Ltd. In 1982, however, receivers were appointed and the businesses closed.

The Pearson companies were makers of traditional Derbyshire stoneware and oven-to-table ware—crocks, casseroles, baking dishes, bar jugs, storage jars etc. The Pearson companies have also manufactured industrial earthenware. Trade names include ‘Kinstra’, ‘Krusta’ and ‘Peanco’.

Pearson (James Pearson Ltd)

1884–Active 1970?

Earthenware manufacturer at the Oldfield Pottery, Chesterfield, Derbyshire. James Pearson founded his pottery business when he left Pearson & Co. and purchased the Oldfield Pottery in about 1884. James Pearson died in 1905, but the business was continued by his wife until 1929. It was finally acquired by Pearson & Co. (Chesterfield) Ltd in 1939 and moved to the Whittington Potteries. The business may have continued to operate as a subsidiary of Pearson & Co. (Chesterfield) Ltd until the 1970s. It produced similar utilitarian earthenware and stoneware using the ‘Oldfield’ and ‘Bramfield’ ware trade names.

Pearson (S. Pearson & Son Ltd)

1856–1984

A holding company for the industrial interests of the Pearson Group, and the owner, at various times, of Booths Ltd, Colclough China Ltd, Allied English Potteries Ltd and Doulton & Co. Ltd. S. Pearson & Son Ltd was the original vehicle (later the holding company) for the vast and diversified business empire built by Weetman Dickinson Pearson (later the First Viscount Cowdray). In the 1920s the company acquired an interest in Booths Ltd, later becoming the owners of the company. Colclough China Ltd was purchased in 1944 and in 1951 the Lawley Group Ltd was acquired by Whitehall Securities Ltd, a Pearson subsidiary.

The Group’s pottery interests were consolidated as Allied English Potteries Ltd in 1964 and then under the Doulton name following Pearson’s purchase of Doulton & Co. Ltd in November 1971. S. Pearson & Son Ltd became Pearson plc in 1984 and in 1993 its pottery interests were floated on the London Stock Exchange under the name Royal Doulton plc.

Peggy Davis Ceramics

1981–Active 2009

See the entry under Davis (Peggy Davis Ceramics)

Pendelfin Pottery

1953–Active 2009

Manufacturer of ornamental stoneware. The Pendelfin Pottery was founded in 1953 by Jean Walmsley Heap and Jennie Todd at Pendle, Burnley, Lancashire. The pottery first produced wall plaques, figurines (many based on witches), miniature cottages and an advertising figure ‘Little Thrifty’ for a local building society. Rabbits were modelled for the first time in 1956 and rapidly became the pottery’s mainstay and signature product. Jean Walmsley Heap had been an illustrator of children’s books and the rabbit theme soon blossomed to rabbit families, musical rabbits, teenage rabbits and so on.

The success of the rabbit theme in the 1960s and 1970s required several moves to larger premises in Burnley and the foundation of a Pendelfin Collectors’ Club in 1992. The business was sold to a giftware company, Collectables, in 2005 and in 2006 production of the rabbits was moved to mainland China. Jean Walmsley Heap died in October 2008.

Penderleath Pottery

1967–c.1979

A studio pottery established in 1967 at Cripplesea, Cornwall, by Anthony and Christiane Richards following their sale of the Arch Pottery. The pottery was sold to William Longley, owner of the Grayshott Pottery, in 1978 and after several changes in ownership was renamed the Cripplesease Pottery (c.1981). Under Anthony Richards the pottery’s wares were similar to those produced at the Arch Pottery—handmade earthenware giftware and domestic items. Wares are marked with an impressed seal ‘PP St Ives’.

Pendley Pottery

1948–Active in the 1950s

A studio pottery at Pendley Manor, Tring, Hertfordshire. Pendley Pottery was founded in 1948 to be a self-supporting studio pottery within a centre for informal adult education. The pottery produced fine earthenware tableware and fancy earthenware with experimental glazes. Products were sold through London shops.

Penrith Pottery

1855–1993

An alternative name for the Wetheriggs Pottery. See the entry for Wetheriggs Pottery.

Penwerris Pottery (Mary Rich)

1970–Active 2009

A studio pottery established at Cowland Creek, Kea, Cornwall, by Mary Rich in 1970. Mary Rich established a workshop at Falmouth in 1962 after working at the Crowan Pottery and then with David Leach at Bovey Tracy, Devon. The studio moved to Kea, Cornwall in 1970. After starting with salt-glazed pottery, the mature Mary Rich wares are hand-throw porcelain intricately decorated with metal lustres in designs influenced the potter’s interest in Islamic and Eastern ceramics. Mary Rich is now one of Britain’s most widely known potters.

Penzance Pottery

1950–1955

A studio pottery established in 1950 at Penzance, Cornwall, by Anthony Richards and Len Missen. The Pottery closed in 1955 on the death of Len Missen. Anthony Richards established a new Pottery business at the Arch Pottery in St Ives.

Phillips (& Co.) (Ltd)

c.1897–1929

A London pottery retailer. Wares produced for the retailer were marked with a ‘Phillips’ trade mark. The business was known as Phillips & Co. until 1906 and then as Phillips Ltd until 1929.

Picadilly Pottery Ltd

1946–?

A Pottery wholesaler, part of the Keele Street Group from c.1946.

Pilkington’s Tile & Pottery Co. Ltd

Pilkington’s Tiles Ltd

(1891–1937), 1937–Active 2009 (As Pilkington plc)

Manufacturer of tiles and earthenware at Clifton Junction, Manchester, Lancashire. Pilkington’s were large scale manufacturers of tiles, but produced ornamental art pottery from c.1897 to 1938 and from 1948 to 1957. The Pilkington’s Tile and Pottery Company was formed in 1891 by the four Pilkington brothers. They employed the ceramic chemists William Burton, a former employee of Josiah Wedgwood & Sons Ltd, and his brother Joseph. William Burton was appointed manager of the enterprise and it was he who planned the new factory and supervised its construction. Production began in January 1893.

The company was awarded a Royal Warrant by King George V in 1913 and adopted, for trading purposes the name ‘Royal Lancastrian Pottery’. In 1937, with the cessation of art pottery manufacture, the company name was changed to Pilkington’s Tiles Ltd. In December 1964 Pilkington’s acquired Carter & Co Ltd the holding company for the Carter Group, thus acquiring Carter Tiles Ltd and Carter, Stabler & Adams Ltd (later the Poole Pottery Ltd). Pilkington was itself taken over by the Thomas Tilling Group in 1971. There have been subsequent changes in ownership and Pilkington Group plc is the current (2009) owner of the Pilkington name and heritage. It is still an important manufacturer of wall and floor tiles for the building industry.

Pilkington’s decorative pottery was produced from c.1897, possibly to test the new glazes created by the Burton brothers before they were used on the factory’s important products—floor and wall tiles. ‘Lancastrian’ art pottery was produced from c.1903 when the business employed the noted potter Edward Thomas Radford. Encouraged by William Burton, Pilkington’s employed or commissioned many leading artists and designers and the resulting ‘Lancastrian’, and later, ‘Royal Lancastrian’ art wares decorated with the Burtons’ unique lustre glazes represent the pinnacle of UK arts and crafts and art nouveau decorative pottery. William Burton retired in 1915 and with the adverse impact of the First World War and the depression of the late-1920s, the demand for art wares declined, and production of art wares was discontinued in August 1937.

Production of decorative art pottery commenced again in 1948, but was again discontinued as unprofitable in 1959. Some further decorative wares were made between December 1972 and December 1975, in this case echoing familiar Poole Pottery shapes and decoration. Although now remembered for their art pottery, Pilkington’s manufactured wall tiles (many equally collectible and easier to come by), animal models, figurines and similar art wares.

Plant (Enoch Plant)

1898–1905

Earthenware manufacturer at the Crown Pottery, Burslem.

Plant Bros

1889–1906

See entry for Plant (R. H. & S. L. Plant Ltd).

Plant (R. H. Plant & Co.)

Plant (R. H. & S. L. Plant (Ltd))

(c.1881–1889), 1889–1966 (Inc. 1915)

Bone china manufacturer at the Tuscan Works, Forrister St, Longton (1889–1966). Formerly R. H. Plant & Co. The partnership between brothers Richard Hammersley Plant and Samuel Lucas Plant was established in 1898 and followed earlier family businesses in which the brothers had been partners (some of which continued and were only later combined).

The Tuscan Works was purchased outright in 1914 and in 1915 the company was incorporated as R. H. & S. L. Plant Ltd. The founders’ respective sons, Harold John Plant and Frederick Sutton Plant succeeded to the management of the business, however the latter died in an accident in 1939 leaving the business in the hands of Harold Plant who continued as managing director and then chairman until his death in 1960. His son, Richard Plant, continued family management of the business until 1966.

  1. H. & S. L. Plant Ltd and the companies controlled by Susie Cooper combined in a friendly merger in 1958 and the individual companies then operated under the umbrella of Tuscan China Holdings Ltd. The holding company was acquired by Wedgwood in 1966 and R. H. & S. L. Plant Ltd, re-badged as ‘Royal Tuscan’, continued as a manufacturing unit of the Wedgwood Group.
  2. H. & S. L. Plant was a leading producer of high quality china ware for the middle of the market. In addition to its signature teaware and dinnerware the firm produced teapots, coffee sets, figurines, animal and bird models, dressing table lines, nurseryware and giftware. Art directors of the company included Joshua Mellor, J. B. Clarke and William Slater. The business was a nucleus firm during the Second World War, assuming responsibility for production from its associate New Chelsea Porcelain Co.

Post-1945, production was expanded to include a full range of tableware but the company is best known for the decorative teaware produced in great quantity and diversity in the 1950s and 1960s. Hotelware was also produced in the post-war period using a strong ‘Metallised China’ body developed by J. B Clarke. Wedgwood continued production under Plant’s well respected Tuscan trade name and in 1977 introduced ‘Royal Tuscan’ ware to its range including Royal Tuscan Metallised China hotelware. R. H. & S.L. Plant Ltd used the trade name ‘Tuscan China’ from c.1902 and the name appears in virtually all marks together with the characteristic Plant ‘wings’ emblem the origin of which is uncertain. For further information see the entry for Tuscan China Holdings Ltd.

Plichta (Jan Plichta)

?–Mid-1950s

Wholesaler of general and art pottery. Jan Plichta was a wholesaler of pottery and glass, operating in London in the first half of the 20th century. Plichta was a major buyer of pottery from the Bovey Pottery Co. Ltd, including the Bovey-produced ‘Wemyss Ware’.

Podmore China Co.

1921–1941

China and earthenware manufacturer at Elm St, Hanley. The business was founded by Mr A. J. Podmore in 1921 and it operated until closed under the wartime Concentration Scheme in 1941. The business re-opened in 1946 under new management as the Sylvan Pottery Ltd. Podmore China Co. produced domestic and ornamental china including, in the 1920s, crested souvenir ware. The company was also a maker of earthenware nest eggs, industrial marbles and items for the caged bird and aquarium trade. See the entry for Sylvan Pottery Ltd.

POG Craft Pottery

1985–Active 2009

A studio pottery established in 1985 by Paul McGrath and Graham Fielder at Cardington, Bedford. Stoneware and porcelain items are made and decorated by hand.

Pointon & Co. Ltd

1883–1916

China manufacturer at the Norfolk Street Works, Hanley. The business was sold in 1916 and from 1917 it traded as Ford & Pointon Ltd. Pointon & Co. Ltd manufactured tableware. See the entry for Ford & Pointon Ltd.

Pollyanna Fine Bone China

c.1980–Active 2009

Manufacturer of high quality fine bone china tableware and giftware at Far Green Industrial Estate, Chell St, Hanley. Pollyanna was established in about 1980 by Robert and Pauline Walpole and continues as a family owned and managed company. Pollyanna giftware includes porcelain picture frames, anniversary giftware, commemorative wares, beakers, trinket boxes etc. The business also makes bespoke patterns and shapes for the promotional market.

Poole (Thomas Poole)

Poole (Thomas Poole (Longton) Ltd)

(1880-1924), (1925–1952)

Thomas Poole established his independent china manufacturing business at the Cobden Works, High St, Longton, in 1880 following participation in earlier pottery making partnerships at the same pottery. The business traded as ‘Thomas Poole’ until incorporated in 1924, and then as Thomas Poole (Longton) Ltd from 1925 to 1952. The business of George Procter & Co. Ltd operating at the Gladstone Pottery was purchased in 1939 (a family connection existed between the owners of the two companies) and renamed Gladstone China (Longton) Ltd. Thomas Poole (Longton) Ltd continued in production during Second World War and in 1948 the two businesses became subsidiaries of a public company ‘Thomas Poole & Gladstone China Ltd’. Each retained its identity until 1952 when it appears the simpler ‘Royal Stafford China’ replaced the earlier name of Thomas Poole (Longton) Ltd.

Thomas Poole and successor businesses manufactured good quality bone china tableware for the mass market. Shapes and patterns were generally conservative and followed rather than set market trends. The trade name ‘Royal Stafford (China)’ is prominent in most marks and was used from c.1900. See the following entry for further information on the history of Thomas Poole and Royal Stafford China.

Poole (Thomas Poole & Gladstone China Ltd)

1948–1973

Manufacturer of bone china and earthenware at the Cobden Works, Cooke St, Longton. The already closely associated companies Thomas Poole (Longton) Ltd and Gladstone China (Longton) Ltd became subsidiaries of a new public company Thomas Poole & Gladstone China Ltd (TPGC Ltd) in mid-1948. The latter was a public company, controlled by the Poole family and with James and Horace Poole, sons of founder Thomas Poole, as the managing directors. The ‘merged’ subsidiaries traded under their own names until c.1952 and then appear to have adopted the simpler ‘Royal Stafford China’ and ‘Gladstone China’ as their business identities as well as their trade marks.

TPGC Ltd acquired Salisbury China Ltd in 1961 and the British Anchor Pottery Co. Ltd in 1970. The latter ‘acquisition’ resulted in the directors of British Anchor assuming control of TPGC Ltd and, of the Poole family, only Raymond Poole (a grandson of the founder) remained on the Board. British Anchor’s Hostess Tableware brand name was adopted for the TPGC Ltd ceramics businesses and Royal Stafford tableware and British Anchor earthenware were marketed as Hostess Tableware brands.

In the 1970s TPGC Ltd diversified into banking and international investment and in 1973 it disposed of its ceramics interests, selling Hostess Tableware, including the Cobden Works and British Anchor Pottery, to Alfred Clough Ltd. In exchange, TPGC Ltd took a 34% interest in the Clough Group. TPGC Ltd was acquired by Newman Industries of Bristol in 1975 and in 1976 Newman purchased the remaining Alfred Clough Ltd share capital. See the entries for Royal Stafford China (Ltd) (I) and Hostess Tableware Ltd.

Poole Pottery Ltd

1963–2006

Manufacturer of art pottery and domestic earthenware at Poole, Dorset. Formerly Carter Stabler & Adams Ltd. The business known as Carter, Stabler & Adams Ltd, a subsidiary of Carter & Co. Ltd, was renamed Poole Pottery Ltd in February 1963.

In December 1964 the Carter Group’s holding company Carter & Co Ltd, and thus Poole Pottery Ltd, merged with the Pilkington’s Tiles Ltd. In 1971 Pilkington’s were taken over by the Thomas Tilling Group, although the Poole Pottery Ltd continued to trade as an independent unit. There were further changes in ownership in the 1970s and 1980s, but in 1992 a management buy-out saw Poole Pottery Ltd emerge as an independent company under the management of Peter Mills. In 2006 financial problems forced the closure of the Poole Pottery’s factory and gift shop in Poole and from 2007 the business has been owned by Lifestyle Holdings Ltd, also the current (2009) owners of Royal Stafford China.

Tableware dominated Poole’s production in the 1950s and early 1960s and continued to do so up until 2006. Art wares were revived in 1966 when a craft section was re-established to manufacture hand-thrown, hand-painted art wares. The brilliantly coloured Delphis ware introduced some years earlier was supplemented in 1970 by the more muted ‘Aegean’ range and the ‘Atlantis’ art wares made by Guy Sydenham. The Craft section also continued to produce Poole’s traditional in-glaze decorated wares in new shapes and patterns. For the earlier history of the ‘Poole Pottery’ see the entries for Carter, Stabler & Adams Ltd and Carter & Co. For the post-2006 history of the Poole Pottery see the entry below.

Poole Pottery (2007) Ltd

2007–Active 2010

Manufacturer of ornamental and art pottery at Stoke-on-Trent. Formerly Poole Pottery Ltd. In 2006 the famous Poole Pottery was forced to close its factory and gift shop on The Quay at Poole, Dorset. The name and assets, including the vast archive of shapes and patterns was purchased by Lifestyle Holdings Ltd and production of ‘Poole’ pottery was transferred to Stoke-on-Trent. Since the purchase, the new owners have been actively rebuilding the Poole brand and a decorating studio and gift shop have been re-established on Poole Quay. The Poole Collectors’ Club has been reactivated and supported by the company.

Lifestyle Holdings Ltd produces and markets tabletop accessories and giftware and is also the owner of RST Ltd which trades as ‘Royal Stafford China’, and production of the two brands is now concentrated at the historic Royal Overhouse Manufactury, Overhouse St, Burslem. Since the 2006 reorganisation and transfer of manufacturing to Stoke-on-Trent, the business has concentrated on producing limited editions and ornamental pottery, mainly vases, designed and decorated in a style reminiscent of the Delphis ware of the 1960s and with names such as Alchemy, Gemstone and Volcano. Designs and decoration are by a team of young artists. In 2008 the Poole Pottery Ltd received a grant to catalogue, for the first time, the many thousands of designs held in the Pottery’s archives. The catalogue is expected to be available on-line in 2009.

Pope (T. Pope & Co.)

?–?

  1. Pope & Co. of Ranelagh St, Hanley was a subsidiary of the teapot maker G. M. Creyke & Sons Ltd.

Porcelain of Italy Ltd

1977–?

Manufacturer of Capodimonte figures and floral china at Maesteg, mid-Glamorgan, Wales. Porcelain of Italy Ltd was established by Mr Peter O’Sullivan in 1977 to manufacture and market under licence UK-produced Capodimonte porcelain figurines and floral china using Italian factory moulds and authentic Capodimonte decorating techniques.

Port Isaac Pottery

1996–Active 2009

A studio pottery established by Michael and Barbara Hawkins at Port Isaac, Cornwall, in 1996. The Hawkins produce hand-thrown and individually decorated art ware and domestic items (jugs, bowls, cruets, etc) using a stoneware body and intricate lustre decoration.

Portland Pottery Ltd

1946–1953

Earthenware manufacturer at the Regal Works, Cobridge. The business was taken over by Ridgways (Bedford Works) Ltd in 1953 and subsequently became a subsidiary company of Ridgway Potteries Ltd (from 1955). Note: James Broadhurst and Sons Ltd operated at the Portland Pottery, Frederick St, Fenton, but were not associated with Portland Pottery Ltd.

Portmeirion Potteries Ltd.

1962–Active 2009

Manufacturers of earthenware and bone china at Kirkhams St, London Rd, Stoke and other locations in the Potteries. Formerly A. E. Gray & Co. Ltd, the name was changed to Portmeirion Potteries Ltd from 1st January 1962. The business of A. E. Gray (Grays Pottery) was purchased by Susan Williams-Ellis in 1959. Grays had been the decorators for Williams-Ellis designed giftware sold through the latter’s Portmeirion village and London giftware shops. The earthenware manufacturer Kirkhams Ltd was purchased in 1961 and Grays Pottery closed with the workforce moving to Kirkham’s London Rd premises that remain the Portmeirion headquarters today. The assets of Crown Winsor (formerly Shaw & Copestake Ltd) were acquired in January 1990. The business became a public listed company in 1988 and Portmeirion Potteries Ltd is now a part of Portmeirion Group plc.

Portmeirion has established an international market for its earthenware and now has a subsidiary in the United States in addition to manufacturing plants and a head office in Stoke-on-Trent. In April 2009 Portmeirion announced that it had purchased the Spode and Royal Worcester brand names and certain intellectual property (including patterns such as Evesham and Blue Italian) from the administrators of Royal Worcester Spode for £3.2 million, but had not taken on the physical assets or liabilities of the former pottery giants.

Portmeirion’s success has been built on the design skills of Susan Williams-Ellis. ‘Totem’ coffee ware—a tall cylindrical shape with embossed symbols—launched in 1962 (re-released briefly in 2002) quickly became a best seller and established the pottery’s reputation for innovative design Other notable designs of the 1960s and 1970s were ‘Cypher’, ‘Jupiter’, and ‘Magic City’ (1966) all produced on the tall, angular handled ‘Serif’ shape. ‘Botanic Garden’, the most successful Williams-Ellis design, was introduced in 1972 and uses floral motifs drawn from botanical illustrations found in 18th and 19th Century herbals. The series, based on a heavy earthenware body and with in excess of 60 individual patterns, has become known world-wide and is still in production in 2009 after 37 years. Rare discontinued patterns are now keenly sought by collectors.

Other Portmeirion series include ‘Pomona’ and ‘Birds of Britain. Susan Williams-Ellis died in November 2007. In August 2009, Portmeirion announced that it had recommenced manufacture of some Spode lines in Stoke-on-Trent. Wares are usually marked with the company name within an oval seal.

Portmeirion Group plc

?–Active 2009

A holding company for the various companies that now constitute the Portmeirion Group. Portmeirion Group plc is listed on the Alternative Investment Market of the London Stock Exchange. The company designs, manufactures and markets tableware, cookware and giftware including ceramics, glass, textiles and homewares.

Possil Pottery Co.

1898–1901

See the entry for Nautilus Porcelain Co.

Possil Pottery

1916–1942

Manufacturer of stoneware at the Possil Pottery, Possil Park, Glasgow. The Possil Pottery was owned and run by J. & R. Tennant Ltd, the Glasgow brewer. Faced with a shortage of stoneware bottles for their product, Tennants resolved to manufacture their own and leased the Possil Pottery in 1916. The Pottery was owned by McDougall & Sons and had stood unused since the closure of the latter’s Nautilus Porcelain Co. in about 1911. Tennants finally purchased the site in 1920. The business manufactured primarily for Tennants, but also supplied other companies with stoneware ginger beer bottles, jam jars, foot warmers and the like.

In the 1920s the pottery expanded into the manufacture of industrial stoneware including large chemical bottles (many for the chemical giant Imperial Chemical Industries) and electrical insulators to supply the rapid expansion of the electricity grid. The pottery continued with this eclectic mix of wares until 1942 when, despite more war-time orders than the company could fulfill, the directors closed the pottery due to rising costs and difficulties in attracting labour.

Poulson Bros (Ltd)

1884–1926

Manufacturer of earthenware at the West Riding Pottery, Knottingly (Ferrybridge), Yorkshire. Brothers Thomas and Edwin Lewellyn Poulson established the West Riding Pottery at Knottingly in 1882. They leased the nearby Calder Pottery in 1877 and added the lease of the Ferrybridge Pottery in about 1883. The three Potteries were then run as one business under the style ‘Poulson Bros’ and, later, Poulson Bros Ltd. The business continued until 1926. Poulson Bros were manufacturers of domestic earthenware for the local market.

Pountney & Co. (Ltd)

1849–1969

Earthenware manufacturer at the Bristol Pottery, Fishponds, Bristol, Gloucestershire. Formerly Pountney & Goldney (1836-1949). Pountney & Co. Ltd was a long-established and large scale manufacturer of earthenware, originally at the Temple Back Pottery, Bristol and from 1905 at Fishponds, Bristol. In 1962 Pountney acquired the remaining assets of Cauldon Potteries Ltd from Thomas Harrison including moulds and patterns from Cauldon’s 19th century predecessors. Pountney re-commenced manufacture of traditional Cauldon patterns and shapes marketing them under the ‘Royal Cauldon’ name.

In late-1969 the company closed the Bristol Pottery and moved production to a new site at Redruth in Cornwall. As part of the move, the company adopted the name Cauldon Bristol Potteries Ltd, although Pountney & Co. Ltd may have remained as a subsidiary of the new company. Pountney & Co. Ltd produced good quality, well designed domestic earthenware, kitchenware, hotelware and sanitary pottery. The word ‘Bristol’ is usually prominent in the company’s marks. See the entry for Cauldon Bristol Potteries Ltd.

Powell (William Powell (& Sons))

c.1830–1906

Manufacturer of stoneware at Temple Gate Pottery, Bristol, Gloucestershire.

Pratt (F. & R. Pratt & Co. Ltd)

c.1818–1967?

Earthenware manufacturer at the Fenton Potteries, High St, Fenton (to c.1920?) and then at other factories in the Staffordshire Potteries. The business of F. &. R. Pratt was founded in the early 19th century and became an important manufacturer of domestic earthenware including relief moulded earthenware (especially jugs) with underglaze, multi-coloured decoration (‘Pratt Ware’), and polychrome transfer printed pot lids. The company was acquired by H. T. Robinson, probably in 1916, and from 1920 it was a subsidiary of Robinson’s Cauldon Potteries Ltd operating from that company’s Cauldon Place Works.

  1. & R. Pratt was one of the subsidiaries acquired by Harrison & Son (Hanley) Ltd when they acquired Cauldon Potteries Ltd in 1933. The F. & R. Pratt business operated from the Harrison’s Crescent Pottery (George Jones & Sons Ltd) from 1936 until 1958 when the Pratt name and intellectual property were acquired by E. Brain & Co. Ltd. In 1967 Wedgwood purchased the E. Brain & Co. Ltd business acquiring in the process the right to the Pratt name and patterns.

In the 19th century, the Pratt name was associated with the fine, usually multi-coloured, transfer printed engravings used to decorate the lids of earthenware pots used for food, pharmaceutical products and toiletries. Although the pot lids have become well known, the engravings were also used on the containers themselves, on plates and on other domestic earthenware. So good were the engravings that reproduction pot lids were produced up to the 1960s by the various owners of the Pratt name. In 1976 Coalport (as part of the Wedgwood Group) reproduced a Pratt engraving as decoration on a limited edition Christmas plate. Similar plates were made each year until at least 1979. Marks contain the ‘F. & R. Pratt’ name and, post-1920 may include the ‘Royal Cauldon’ as part of the mark.

Price Bros.

Price Bros. (Burslem) Ltd

(1896–1934), 1934–1962

Earthenware manufacturer at the Top Bridge Pottery and Albion Works, Burslem. Formerly Price Bros. (1896–1903). The business was purchased by Arthur Wood & Son (Longport) Ltd in 1934 and renamed Price Bros (Burslem) Ltd. From 1934 the pottery operated as a member of the Arthur Wood Group and was amalgamated with the Kensington Pottery Ltd, also an Arthur Wood controlled company, from January 1962. The combined business subsequently operated from Trubshaw Cross, Longport as Price & Kensington Potteries Ltd (see next entry).

Price Bros (Burslem) Ltd were important maker of teapots, teapot sets, chamber pots, grave vases and general and fancy earthenware. The company was a major producer of ‘Cottage Ware’—domestic earthenware modelled in the form of quaint country cottages and historic buildings. ‘Mattona’ art ware produced in the early-1930s is reminiscent of the more naïve designs of Clarice Cliff. The basic Price Bros (Burslem) Ltd mark was a wreath enclosing the name Price Bros. It was also used by the successor company (see next entry).

Price & Kensington Potteries Ltd

1962–Active 2009.

Earthenware manufacturer at Trubshaw Cross, Longport. Price & Kensington Potteries Ltd was formed in January 1962 by merger of Price Bros (Burslem) Ltd and Kensington Pottery Ltd. Both companies were already subsidiaries of Arthur Wood & Son (Longport) Ltd and operating at Longport. Price & Kensington Potteries Ltd are currently (2009) a member of the Rayware Group, a leading European homewares company, also the owner of Arthur Wood & Son (Longport) Ltd and the Pristine Pottery Ltd.

Price & Kensington Potteries (and the predecessor companies) were important manufacturers of domestic earthenware, teapots, tea and coffee ware, fancy tableware, kitchenware, cottage ware, novelties and souvenirs. As part of the Rayware Group, Price and Kensington manufacture much the same range of products with the emphasis on tableware and traditional and novelty teapots. See the entry for Wood (Arthur Wood & Son (Longport) Ltd.

Price, Powell & Co. Ltd

?–Active 1970

Stoneware manufacturer at Pottery Lane, Chesterfield, Derbyshire. Price, Powell & Co. Ltd was a subsidiary of Pearson & Co. (Chesterfield) Ltd and produced utilitarian stoneware—kitchenware, foot warmers, jars etc.

Prima Pottery

1967–?

A studio pottery established by Marcus Goldberger at Folkstone, Kent, in 1967. Marcus Goldberger made ornamental and domestic earthenware including owl pots, animal money boxes, vases and table accessories. Wares were inscribed with the word ‘Marc’.

Prince William Pottery Co.

1950s–Active 2009

Manufacturer of ornamental earthenware at Edge Lane, Liverpool. The Pottery was established and run by T. R. and E. P. Sanders and made jardinieres, vases, wall pockets, tankards, novelties and fancy goods. The business is now a large-scale manufacturer of promotional mugs.

Prinknash Benedictines

1942–1997

Manufacturer of domestic and ornamental earthenware at Prinknash Abbey, Cranham, Gloucestershire. Also known as Prinknash Abbey Pottery. The pottery was founded in the early 1940s after the discovery, in 1939, of clay beds in the Abbey grounds. By the 1970s the pottery had become a substantial business employing 40 people and was the major source of income for the Abbey. In 1997, however, the business was sold to the Welsh Porcelain Co. Prinknash first produced hand-made rosary beads and other religious items, but soon graduated to making figurines and giftware. Craft pottery—vases, tankard, ashtrays and other giftware—was the mainstay of the pottery, many finished in unusual pewter and bronze glazes. Tableware was produced from the 1970s. Items have an impressed ‘Prinknash’ mark.

Pristine Pottery Co.

?–2002

Manufacturer of earthenware teapots at the Pristine Works, Hurst St., Longton to 2002. The Pristine Pottery Co. was acquired by the Arthur Wood Group in January 2002 and production was moved to the latter’s Longport factory. The company is now a subsidiary of the Rayware Group, manufacturers of homewares. The Pristine Pottery Co. made hand-cast ‘brown betty’ teapots and associated tea wares.

Procter (George Procter & Co. (Ltd))

1891–1940

Manufacturer of earthenware and china at the Gladstone Pottery, High St, Longton. Brothers George and Albert Procter started business at the Gladstone Pottery in 1891 and managed the business until it was acquired by Thomas Poole (Longton) Ltd in 1939 and renamed Gladstone China (Longton) Ltd. A family connection existed between the Procter and Poole families and George Procter joined James and Horace Poole as directors of the new company. George Procter & Co. Ltd manufactured good quality bone china tableware under the ‘Gladstone China’ name. The mark is a prominent crown with the initials ‘G. P. & Co.’ beneath and ‘GLADSTONE CHINA’ above. See the entry for Gladstone China (Longton) Ltd.

Protean Pottery

1959–?

A studio pottery established by H. J. Gee at Dunster, Somerset in 1959. The Protean Pottery mark is an impressed ‘PROTEAN’.

Purbeck Pottery Ltd

c.1966–Active 2009

Manufacturer of stoneware at Seamoor Rd, Westbourne, Dorset, and later at Hamworthy, Poole, Dorset. The Purbeck Pottery was established in 1966 by Mr Stanley Laws and partners to make stoneware tableware and giftware using clay from the Purbeck Hills. Robert Jefferson designed for the Pottery and was also a director in its early years. The Pottery moved to Hamworthy, Poole, Dorset in 1995 and is currently (2009) run by Philip and Sheena Barnes who still produce some of the original Purbeck tableware lines. The Pottery also makes vitrified ovenproof dinnerware, teaware, coffee sets, wares for the hotel and catering trade, and art pottery.

Qualcast Group

19282006

Derby-based foundry and castings group, famous for its Qualcast lawnmowers. The Group was the owner of Empire Porcelain Co. Ltd from the early 1960s. See the entry for the Empire Porcelain Co. Ltd.

Quay Pottery

c.1955

A studio pottery established in 1955(?) at Long Island, Poole, Dorset, by Guy Sydenham, chief designer for Poole Pottery in the late 1970s. Guy Sydenham died in November 2005.

Queensbury China Ltd.

1954–1955

Manufacturer of earthenware fancies and bone china teaware at the Belgrave Works, Lower Hill St, Longton. Formerly the Belgrave Pottery. Queensbury China was owned and managed by Mr W. Morris and partners.

Quinnell (Richard Quinnell Ltd)

Active in the 1960s

Manufacturer of hand-painted, kiln fired, door furniture and tiles at the Rowhurst Works, Oxshott Rd, Leatherhead, Surrey.