MacIntyre – Myott

Scroll to locate a company on the list, click to view.

Macintyre (James Macintyre & Co. (Ltd))

1860–?

Earthenware manufacturer at the Washington Works, Burslem. Makers of domestic and industrial earthenware. Macintyre produced domestic earthenware, architectural hardware and industrial ceramics. Art pottery was produced under the direction of designer William Moorcroft from about 1898 until Macintyre and Moorcroft parted company in 1913. Production of domestic earthenware ceased in the late 1920s and the business returned to production of industrial earthenware.

Maddock (John Maddock & Sons (Ltd))

1855–1981 (Inc. c.1896)

Manufacturer of earthenware and vitrified china at the Newcastle St and Dalehall Potteries, Burslem (later at the Royal Overhouse Pottery). John Maddock manufactured earthenware at Newcastle St, from about 1842. From 1855 the business traded as John Maddock & Sons and from c.1896 as John Maddock & Sons Ltd. The business survived two world wars and numerous recessions as a mid-market manufacturer of domestic earthenware, but in December 1980 was in receivership and the Newcastle St factory, stock and the rights to the Maddock and Royal Stafford names (the latter owned by Maddock since its purchase from Grindley of Stoke Ltd in the late-1970s) were purchased in January 1981 by Nubell Ltd, a company controlled by businessman David Quayle. The other partners in the purchase were businessman Martin Rosenhead and accountant Peter Coventry.

In June 1981, Nubell Ltd changed its name to Royal Stafford China Ltd although Maddock branded hotelware continued to be sold under the new name. Pre-1980 the Maddock businesses were large-scale manufacturers of good quality domestic earthenware for the middle market under the ‘Royal Ivory’ and ‘Ivory Ware’ trade names. Maddock was also an important supplier of vitrified tableware to the hotel, catering, railway and shipping industries marketed as Maddock Hotelware. Maddock marks are numerous, but always include the company name.

Maling (C. T. Maling & Sons (Ltd))

1890-1963

Well known earthenware manufacturer at the Ford Potteries, Newcastle-on-Tyne. Robert Maling established the Ousebourn Pottery at Newcastle-on-Tyne in about 1817. Maling’s son Christopher Thompson Maling assumed control of the business in the early 1850s and in 1859 built the Ford A pottery, on which the prosperity of the company was based, a second pottery, the Ford B, was completed in 1879.

Maling’s three sons entered the family business in the late 1880s and the name C. T. Maling & Sons was adopted in 1890. C. T. Maling died in 1901, but the Maling family ran the business until the death of Christopher Maling’s last surviving son Frederick Theodore Maling in 1937. Trustees then managed the business until it was purchased by Hoult’s Estates in 1947. Under Frederick Hoult, the pottery was modernised but the firm struggled in the more competitive post-war environment and it closed in 1963.

The Maling pottery business was built on production of simple Victorian domestic tea, dinner, kitchen and hotelware of no particular note. Manufacture of marmalade pots for Keillors of Dundee and, from the 1920s, of pottery tea caddies for Ringtons tea were other mainstays of the business. The best Maling wares, however, are characteristic of the firm and are of the highest quality. The pottery introduced Cetem (CTM) Ware in 1908. Produced in a white, semi-porcelain body and richly decorated this ware was aimed at the middle and upper ends of the market. The striking aerographed ‘powder blue’ and ‘black ground’ items with rich oriental decoration designed by Harry Toft are probably the most widely recognised, and collected, Cetem Wares.

Lucien Boullemier joined Maling as a designer in 1926 adding decorated wares aimed at the top end of the market. Under his guidance the business produced lustred and richly gilded wares matching those of the major Staffordshire manufacturers and these are now highly collectible. Cetem Ware was discontinued in 1931. In the 1930s under Boullmier, designers Charles Wright and Theo Maling, and modeller Norman Carling the Maling factory produced innovative Art Deco designs and patterns that, at their best, match those of Clarice Cliff and other leading artists of the period. Both the ornamental art wares and the art deco tableware of this period are keenly sought by collectors. Maling were also important producers of commemorative ware.

The post-Second World War Maling wares are of lesser interest as there was little innovation in design or decoration and many of the company’s products were re-issues of wares first produced in the 1920s and 1930s. Maling used the Cetem Ware trade name from 1908-1931 and this appears on wares of this period. Maling backstamps include a castle against a circular disc, the Maling name and ‘Newcastle-on-Tyne’.

Malkin (Frederick Malkin)

1891–1905

Earthenware manufacturer at the Belle Works, Burslem.

Marazion Pottery

1950–1981

A studio pottery established in 1950 at Marazion, Penzance, Cornwall, by George and Heather Nash. The Pottery closed when the couple retired in 1981. Early Marazion wares are mainly domestic wares decorated with dark brown, green or black glaze. Giftware, lamp bases and ornamental pieces were produced from the 1960s using a matt charcoal glaze and sgraffito decoration.

Mask Pottery

1958–1969

A studio Pottery established at St. Ives, Cornwall in about 1958 by Denys and Jess Val Baker. Mask Pottery manufactured for Knight’s, a furniture and interior decor chain as well as making individual wares. The Pottery was sold in 1968 when the Bakers’ purchased the Wheelcat Pottery (Millstream Pottery) in Fowey. The latter closed in 1972.

Mason, Cash & Co. (Ltd)

1901–2004 (Inc. 1941)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Pool Potteries, Church Gresley, Burton-on-Trent. Mason, Cash & Co. was established in 1901 by Thomas Cash who retained the ‘Mason’ name of the previous owner. The business was incorporated as Mason, Cash & Co. Ltd in 1941 and continued to produce its utilitarian wares throughout the Second World War.

The share capital of the company was purchased by A. B. Merriam in 1973 and in February 1986 the company acquired Cauldon Potteries Ltd and the rights to the ‘Royal Cauldon’ name from T. Brown & Son Ltd. of the Ferrybridge Pottery at Knottingly, Yorkshire. In 2001 the company purchased T. G. Green & Co. Ltd, but by 2004 it faced receivership and in April 2004 Mason Cash & Co. Ltd (including T. G. Green & Co. Ltd) was purchased by The Tabletop Company forming the ‘Tabletop Group’. Both Mason Cash and T. G. Green continued to operate under their own names within the Group. In July 2007 the Tabletop Group faced financial difficulties and Mason Cash & Co. Ltd was sold to Rayware Ltd (a Liverpool-based homewares group), and since 2007 Mason Cash has been a Rayware Ltd brand.

Mason Cash & Co. Ltd produced utilitarian kitchenware—mixing bowls, cooking ware, food storage containers and pet feeding bowls. The classic cane-coloured ‘Gresleigh’ mixing bowl with ‘all round grip’ was advertised widely and is still in production today.

Mason’s Ironstone China Ltd

1968–1973

Manufacturer of ironstone china and earthenware at the Broad Street Works, Broad St, Hanley. Formerly G. L. Ashworth & Bros Ltd, the company was renamed Mason’s Ironstone China Ltd in March 1968 to capitalise on the ‘Mason’s Ironstone China’ name. The business had been owned and managed by members of the Goddard family since 1883 and family control continued until the business was purchased by Josiah Wedgwood & Sons Ltd in 1973. John Stringer Goddard, the third generation to own and manage the business, continued in a management role with Wedgwood until his retirement in 1981. Mason’s Broad Street factory was closed and demolished in 1997.

The post-1968 Mason products included good quality mid-market domestic earthenware and Mason’s Ironstone China produced in the traditional 19th century shapes and patterns. In 1971 the company was still advertising ‘Mandalay’ an original Miles Mason pattern dating from the earliest years of the 19th century. Wedgwood continued to produce a small range of traditional hand-painted Mason’s Ironstone China shapes at its Barlaston factory up to at least 2005. See the entry for Ashworth (G. L. Ashworth & Bros Ltd).

Matthews & Clark

c.1902–1902

Manufacturers of earthenware and china at the Melbourne Works, Longton.

Maund (Geoffrey Maund Pottery)

1950–Active 2009

A studio pottery at Purley, Croydon, Surrey. The Geoffrey Maund Pottery produces hand-made ornamental and art pottery decorated with hand painted underglaze decoration. Mugs, decorated flowerpots, lamp bases, cruets, piggybanks, bowls and vases have been some of the items produced.

Maw & Co. Ltd

1850–1967

Manufacturer of tiles and art pottery at the Benthall Works, Jackfield, Shropshire. Maw & Co. were manufacturers of tiles, but in the 1890s began manufacture of art pottery designed by well known artists including Lewis Day and Walter Crane. The company ceased trading in 1967. The company name was impressed on the base of most wares.

Mayer (Thomas Mayer (Elton Pottery) Ltd)

1956–Active 1970

Earthenware manufacturer at the Elton Pottery, Vinebank St (London Rd), Stoke. The Elton Pottery made animal figures, florists’ accessories, and fancy earthenware.

Mayer & Sherratt

1906–1941

Manufacturer of bone china at the Clifton Works and the King St Works, Longton. Production ceased and the firm’s two factories were vacated in 1941 under the wartime Concentration Scheme. The business did not re-open following the war. Mayer and Sherratt used the ‘Melba’ trade name.

McDougall & Sons

1896–?

McDougall & Sons were Glasgow pottery retailers and the owners of the Possil Pottery, Possil Park, Glasgow, at which they manufactured ‘Nautilus’ porcelain. See the entry for the Nautilus Porcelain Co.

McNay (Charles W. McNay (& Sons))

1887–1958

Earthenware manufacturer at the Bridgeness Pottery, Bo’ness, (Grangepans), Scotland. The business was established by Charles Watson McNay in 1887. McNay had been a china and glass retailer in Falkirk and later worked at the Bo’ness (Borrowstounness) Pottery before starting his own business. Originally trading as Charles McNay, the name changed to Charles McNay & Sons in about 1900 when his sons William and Josiah McNay were admitted to the business. McNay retired in 1905 due to illness and died in 1913, but the business was continued by the McNay family until the Bridgeness Pottery was closed in 1958. The pottery produced domestic earthenware from local clays.

McNeal & Co. (Ltd)

1894–1906

Earthenware manufacturer at the Stanley Pottery, Longton.

Meakin (Alfred Meakin (Ltd.))

Meakin (Alfred Meakin (Tunstall) Ltd)

(1874–c.1913), c.1913–1976 (Inc. 1897)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Royal Albert Works, the Newfield Pottery (from c.1913) and the Victoria & Highgate Works (from 1957). Alfred Meakin, younger brother of James and George Meakin founded his own company in 1874 trading initially as ‘Alfred Meakin’ and then as Alfred Meakin Ltd from 1897. Alfred Meakin died in 1904 and was succeeded by his son Alfred James Meakin who died only four years later in 1908.

The business was acquired in 1908 by Robert Johnson, Meakin’s uncle and one of the four brother-owners of the Johnson Bros business. The name changed to Alfred Meakin (Tunstall) Ltd in about 1913 and Johnson family control of the business continued until 1974 when the share capital was acquired by Myott, Son & Co. The name Myott-Meakin Ltd was used from 1976 and, following further ownership changes in 1982, 1989 and 1991 the business was acquired by the Churchill Group.

Alfred Meakin was an important manufacturer of export wares (granite wares and ironstone china) for the North American market in addition to mass produced tableware and other earthenware aimed at the middle and lower ends of the domestic market. In the 1930s the company produced art deco tableware with simple but sophisticated decoration and the angular ‘Princess’ shape with platinum highlights is notable. These art deco inspired wares are collectible and are probably under-appreciated. The Alfred Meakin wares of the 1950 and 1960s reflect the design trends of its more adventurous rivals such as W. R. Midwinter and are of interest for their variation on a theme.

Alfred Meakin trade names include the ubiquitous ‘Royal Marigold’ used on a wide range of shapes and patterns in the 1930s. There are numerous Alfred Meakin marks, but the name is always prominent. For further information see the entries for Myott-Meakin Ltd and for Interpace Corporation.

Meakin (J. & G. Meakin (Ltd))

1851–1968 (Inc. 1890)

Manufacturer of earthenware at the Eagle Pottery (1859-1970) and the Eastwood Works (1887-1958), Hanley. Brothers James and George Meakin took over the pottery manufacturing business of their father James Meakin in 1851, operating at Cannon St, Hanley. James Meakin junior died in 1885 and George Meakin in 1891, but the family business (incorporated as J. & G. Meakin Ltd in 1890) continued first under George Eliot Meakin (son of George Meakin), from 1891 to 1927 and then under Bernard Meakin (son of George’s brother James) from 1927 until his retirement in 1955.

Family control of the business ceased in about 1958 when management control was acquired by pottery entrepreneurs J. W. E. Grundy and A. Derek Jones. W. R. Midwinter Ltd was acquired through a friendly merger in September 1968 and the two companies continued to operate independently as subsidiaries of Meakin & Midwinter (Holdings) Ltd. In January 1970 Wedgwood made an offer for the whole share capital of J. & G. Meakin Ltd and Meakin (and its subsidiary Midwinter) became part of the Wedgwood Group. J. & G. Meakin Ltd continued as a quasi-independent entity within the Wedgwood Group until 1980 when it became part of Wedgwood’s Creative Tableware Division (with Midwinter, Johnson Bros, and others). Meakin shapes and patterns were subsumed into the Johnson Bros. earthenware brand from c.1991 and use of the Meakin brand name had been abandoned by 2000.

In the 19th and early 20th centuries, J. & G. Meakin were important, large-scale producers of good quality, ironstone tableware (‘White Granite’ ware) that met a ready market in the United States, South America, Australia, and other traditional British markets and by the 1890s the company was one of the world’s largest earthenware manufacturers. Although export teaware and tableware was the factory’s staple, Meakin also manufactured toilet ware, kitchen ware and a wide range of fancy earthenware.

The company was amongst the first British pottery firms to experiment with modernist designs associated with the art deco period. The ‘Moderne’ range, introduced in 1929 was an angular shape decorated with geometric patterns and often highlighted with silver or gold. This range remained in production through the 1930s. Post-1945 the company introduced the streamlined Studio shape (1953) and Horizon shape (1955) both heavily influenced by the Russell Wright ‘American Modern’ tableware. In 1964 a new Studio shape was released with tall streamlined coffee pots used as the background for many contemporary patterns now associated with the 1950s and 1960s. Designs by Jessie Tate and Eve Midwinter, some originally found on Midwinter shapes, also appear on 1970s Studio ware. This range was one of Meakin’s most successful and continued in production until the late-1970s. The enormous range of floral, geometric, and abstract designs make Studio Ware collectible in its own right.

In the 1970s and 1980s as part of the Wedgwood Group Meakin produced contemporary products under the ‘Bull in a China Shop’ and ‘Creative Tableware’ names. ‘Sol’ (c.1912-1963), ‘Studio’ (1953 on) and ‘Royal Staffordshire’ (post 1968) were important J. & G. Meakin Ltd trade names. Meakin marks are numerous, but all include the J. & G. Meakin name. See, also, the entry for Meakin & Midwinter (Holdings) Ltd.

Meakin & Midwinter (Holdings) Ltd

1968–1970

Holding company formed to facilitate the merger of J. &. G. Meakin Ltd and W. R. Midwinter Ltd. The merger was announced in September 1968 although the intention was for both businesses to continue to trade under their own names and pursue their own individual marketing and sales policies. Post-merger, the combined group was to be known by the name British Tableware Ltd, although it is uncertain whether this name was ever actually used. Although termed a ‘merger’, J. & G. Meakin Ltd were the dominant influence and the Chairman and Deputy Chairman of J. & G. Meakin (J. W. E. Grundy and A. Derek Jones) assumed those positions on the holding company Board. Meakin & Midwinter (Holdings) Ltd and thus the assets of both businesses and their subsidiaries were acquired by Wedgwood from January 1970 through an offer for the whole share capital of J. & G. Meakin Ltd.

Melba China Co. Ltd

1948–1951 (1952?)

China manufacturer at Stafford St, Longton. In addition to normal domestic chinaware, Melba China manufactured models of shire horses and examples can be found with handmade leather harness. The company closed in 1951 or 1952.

Mellor, Taylor & Co.

1880–1901

Earthenware manufacturer at the Cleveland Works, Burslem.

Melrose (The Melrose Pottery Co. Ltd)

1974–?

Manufacturer of ornamental pottery at the Phoenix Works, King St, Longton. Melrose was established in 1974 by brothers Kenneth and Leslie Robinson to produce high quality animal models. The pottery specialised in hand finished models of Shire horses complete with harness and wagon, modelled by Edward Drew. Models of dogs have also been produced.

Merlin Pottery

1963–1970

A studio pottery established by Norman Bridges at Hailsham, Sussex, in 1963. Bridges had been associated with the Dicker and Brickhouse potteries and made similar earthenware using a black metallic glaze. The Pottery closed in 1970. The Merlin Pottery’s mark was an impressed ‘Merlin Pottery’.

Merryfield Pottery

?–Active 2005

Maker of handmade pottery miniatures at Torquay, Devon. Merryfield is known for its handmade and hand painted thimbles in the form of cats, houses, teapots etc. Miniature cat models and pottery-adorned bookmarks are other products.

Methven (David Methven & Sons)

Pre-1850–1928

Earthenware manufacturer at the Kirkcaldy Pottery, Kirkcaldy, Fifeshire, Scotland. David Methven purchased a brickworks and pottery at Kirkcaldy in 1773 and the business was run by the family until sold to an A. R. Young in 1892. The Methven name was retained until the company closed in 1928. The business was a large-scale producer of domestic and ornamental earthenware including Creamware, and serviced a large export market. Trade names included ‘Airlie Ware’, ‘Auld Heather Ware’ and ‘Abbotsford Ware’.

Middleton (J. H. Middleton (& Co)

1889–1941

Manufacturer of bone china at the Delphine Pottery, Bagnall St (Chelson St), Longton. Formerly Middleton & Hudson (c.1870–1889). The business was established by Joseph Middleton in about 1889 following the end of a partnership with William Hudson at the Alma Works. The business traded as ‘J. H. Middleton’ and then as ‘J. H. Middleton & Co.’, the ‘& Co.’ being George Edwin Barlow, John Varden Chapman and (possibly) William Hudson. Control of the business subsequently passed to George Barlow and John Chapman (date unknown).

In 1941 the Delphine factory was closed under the potteries Concentration Scheme and the business was combined with that of ‘William Hudson’ (owned by the Barlow family) at the latter’s Sutherland Pottery. It subsequently traded as Hudson & Middleton Ltd. The J. H. Middleton business manufactured mid-range bone china teaware and tableware under the Delphine China trade name.  The mark includes a crown and the Delphine name on a banner below.

Midland Pottery Co.

1932–1940

Earthenware manufacturer at Ravenshead, Lancashire.

Midwinter (W. R. Midwinter (Ltd))

c.1910–1970

Earthenware manufacturer at the Albion Pottery and the Hadderidge Pottery, Burslem. W. R. Midwinter Ltd was founded by William Robinson Midwinter at Bournes Bank, Burslem in about 1910. The business expanded rapidly absorbing a number of neighbouring potteries and eventually moving to the Albion Works, Burslem. William Midwinter served in the Royal Navy during the First World War and care of the business was left in the hands of his wife. Further expansion followed in the 1920s and 1930s and the firm eventually occupied the Albion Works and Hadderidge Potteries, Burslem. Production continued through the Second World War at a much reduced level and following the end of the war W. R. Midwinter was joined in the business by his son William Roy Midwinter.

Roy Midwinter assumed control of the business on the death of W. R. Midwinter in the late 1950s and under his management the business became one of the leading producers of domestic earthenware in the 1950s and 1960s. Midwinter acquired A. J. Wilkinson Ltd and Newport Pottery Co. Ltd in 1964, but the firm encountered financial difficulties in the late 1960s and merged with J. & G. Meakin Ltd in September 1968. The holding company for the combined group was Meakin & Midwinter (Holdings) Ltd, but the new Meakin-Midwinter business was itself was taken over by the Wedgwood Group in January 1970. W. R. Midwinter Ltd continued as a semi-autonomous unit within the Wedgwood Group until Wedgwood closed the business in 1987. Roy Midwinter left Wedgwood in 1981 and became associated, as a designer, with Federated Potteries Ltd. He died in 1990.

  1. R. Midwinter Ltd was originally a manufacturer of Rockingham teapots, tea wares and toilet wares. During the 1920s and 1930s the firm became well known for its semi-porcelain dinnerware and tea and coffee ware marketed using the ‘Porcelon’ trade name. These wares were decorated in conservative style except for some art deco inspired abstract patterns applied on Midwinter’s traditional shapes. Nursery ware and fancy earthenware were also made. These pre-Second World War wares are of little interest to collectors.

Under the influence of Roy Midwinter the company led the revolution in tableware design in the United Kingdom in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. Drawing inspiration from the American designers Eva Zeisel and Russell Wright, Midwinter launched the contemporary Stylecraft range in 1953 and the even more radical Fashion shape in 1955. The latter, designed by Roy Midwinter and fellow director William Lunt is typical of the Midwinter style of the 1950s and early-1960s and is characterised by flowing lines and the integration of handles and other parts into the body of the ware. With its rimless plates and fluid, organic lines it is now regarded as an icon of 1950s design. The memorable patterns produced by Midwinter’s in-house designer Jessie Tate or commissioned from artists such as Hugh Casson, who’s drawings of French scenes under the name ‘Riviera’ are now so highly sought, contributed materially to the firms success.

In 1960 Roy Midwinter commissioned David Queensbury (later Marquis of Queensbury), to design the ‘Fine’ shape launched in 1962. This was a radical departure from the flowing, organic shapes popular in the 1950, but its spare cylindrical shape again caught the public mood. The Fine shape was re-modelled in 1966 and launched as the ‘MQ1’ and a second Queensbury design the ‘MQ2’ shape was launched in the same year. Roy Midwinter was also instrumental in the development of the ‘Stonehenge’ range released in 1972. With its speckled glaze and bold lines it too caught the mood of the times and the strongly coloured ‘Sun’, ‘Moon’ and ‘Earth’ patterns designed by Eve Midwinter were enormously popular until their withdrawal from the market in the early 1980s.

  1. R. Midwinter Ltd used the trade name ‘Porcelon’ in the 1930s, possibly until c.1953. Post-war marks include the company name and many cases the shape name -‘Stylecraft’, ‘Fashion’, ‘Fine’, ‘Stonehenge’ etc. The name of the artist responsible for the pattern is also often included.

Millhouse Pottery

1979–Active 2006

A studio pottery established by Alan and Ann Frewin at Harleston, Norfolk, in 1970. Wares are handmade ornamental earthenware (jugs, mugs etc) decorated with slip and majolica glaze. The Pottery’s mark is an impressed windmill icon.

Milton Brook Pottery

Active 1979

Manufacturer of oven-to-table cookware and kitchenware in a temperature resistant porcelain body. Milton Brook Pottery was probably a subsidiary of Bullers plc using the same body used for electrical porcelain. Products included flan, soufflé and bakers dishes and mortar and pestle sets.

Minton(s) (Ltd)

1793–1968 (Inc. 1884)

Manufacturer of earthenware, stone china and bone china at various factories in Stoke-on-Trent. Mintons was founded by Thomas Minton who returned to the Potteries in 1793 following the dissolution of a London-based partnership with his brother retailing china wares. Minton purchased land in Stoke and established a new partnership with William Pownall, a Liverpool merchant, and Joseph Poulson, a local potter. Manufacturing began in a newly build factory in May 1796.

Thomas Minton died in 1836 and was succeeded by his son Herbert who had entered the partnership in 1817. Herbert Minton continued the highly successful business in partnership first with John Boyle (1836-41) and then with his wife’s nephew Michael Daintry Hollins (from c.1842). In 1849 Herbert Mintons nephew, Colin Minton Campbell, joined the partnership, the business trading as Minton & Co. Herbert Minton died in 1858 and control of the business passed to Colin Minton Campbell and Michael Hollins. Hollins left the partnership in 1868 (taking with him the extensive Mintons tile manufacturing business) and from 1873 the business traded simply as ‘Mintons’. The business was incorporated as Mintons Ltd in 1884 and this name was used until changed to Minton Ltd (to match the established Minton trade name) in 1968. Colin Minton Campbell died in 1885 but the business remained under the control of the Campbell family until purchased by Doulton & Co. Ltd in mid-1968. Minton Ltd became a subsidiary company of Doulton Fine China Ltd and the Minton name has been continued as a Doulton (Wedgwood since 2005) brand. The Minton Works, Stoke was closed in 1992 and production transferred to other Doulton factories.

In the 19th century, particularly under the management of Herbert Minton, ‘Mintons’ was one of the leading Staffordshire manufacturers, employing leading artists and producing a vast array of high quality tableware, figurines and ornamental porcelain that is now avidly collected. In the 20th century, Minton has produced high quality, well decorated bone china tableware and ornamental porcelains. ‘Haddon Hall’, one of the most popular porcelain patterns of all time was introduced in 1949 and is still in production today (2009). The basic Mintons ‘globe’ mark crossed by a banner and the word ‘Minton’ or ‘Mintons’ was used from c.1863 to 1950. From c.1873 the globe was surmounted by a crown, and from c.1912 is surrounded by a wreath. From 1951 the Minton mark has been a wreath crossed by the name ‘MINTON’.

Minton, Hollins & Co.

1845 (1868)–1962

Manufacturer of tiles, architectural ceramics and ornamental earthenware at the Patent Tile Works, Stoke. Herbert Minton experimented with tile manufacture from the late 1820s and tile manufacture became an important part of the Minton & Co. business. Michael Daintry Hollins became a partner in Minton & Co. in 1845 and, according to Jewitt (1883), “the tile department formed a separate concern under the style Minton, Hollins & Co.”. Hollins left his partnership with Colin Minton Campbell in 1868 taking with him the tile and architectural ceramics business which continued to traded as Minton, Hollins & Co. (although Herbert Minton had died some 10 years earlier). The business manufactured tiles for floors, walls, chimneys, wash-stands and other decorative purposes. Ornamental art wares decorated with strongly coloured glazes in the style of Bretby and Burmantofts were produced in the 1920s and 1930s and marketed under the name ‘Astra Ware’. Minton, Hollins & Co. closed in 1962.

Moira Pottery Co. Ltd.

1922–2007 (Inc. 1928)

Manufacturer of stoneware at Moira, Burton-on-Trent, Leicestershire. Moira Pottery was founded by the Webster family to manufacture stoneware storage jars. The company has been an important manufacturer of garden pottery marketed under the ‘Vitryware’ and ‘Hillstonia’ names. In 1958 Moira took over the business of the Barker Pottery of Chesterfield, a maker of kitchenware and ceramic water filters, and expanded production of these products. The Moira Pottery Co. Ltd was dissolved in 2007. Common Moira wares include crocks, pitchers, cruets, oil jars, casseroles, foot warmers, pet dishes and similar ware. Ovenware and oven-to-table ware has also been produced under the ‘Vitryware’ name. Moira ‘Muggs’ were a more recent product.

Moorcroft (W. Moorcroft (Ltd))

1913–Active 2009

Manufacturer of decorative pottery at the Washington Works, Burslem. W. Moorcroft Ltd was founded in 1913 by William Moorcroft following his departure from James McIntyre Ltd where he has been chief designer of their art wares. William Moorcroft died in 1945 and control of the business passed his son Walter Moorcroft. By 1980 the business faced financial failure and in 1983 was purchased by Hugh Edwards who has successfully continued the Moorcroft tradition.

The original William Moorcroft wares followed the decorative style developed for McIntyre, but with an improved body and new glaze effects. These art wares proved very popular through the 1920s, but Moorcroft refused to adopt the art deco style popular in the 1930s and business declined. Utility goods were produced during the Second World War, but the company returned to art wares following the end of the war. Under Hugh Edwards, Moorcroft vases and other ornamental wares have again become worldrenowned.

Moore Bros

1871–1905

China manufacturer at the St. Mary’s Works, Longton. The business ended in 1905 and the St Mary’s Works were purchased by Thomas C. Wild, and were later to become the home of his Royal Albert china. Bernard Moore established a new business at Wolfe St, Stoke. Moore Bros produced high quality tableware, majolica and ornamental porcelains, including wares decorated with Chinese inspired glazes.

Moore (Bernard Moore)

1905–?

Manufacturer of earthenware and china at Wolfe St, Stoke. Formerly Moore Bros.

Moorland Pottery Ltd

c.1986–Active 2009

Earthenware manufacturer at The Chelsea Works, Moorland Rd, Burslem. The owners of the Moorland Pottery purchased the business of Studio Szeiler in about 1986 and changed the name to that of ‘Moorland Pottery’. The business is a small, specialist pottery producing giftware and tableware to traditional and modern designs. Traditional Staffordshire dogs are produced, but it is best known for art deco-style wares in shapes and decoration reminiscent of Clarice Cliff including teaware, masks and ‘age of jazz’ figures.

Morley, Fox & Co. Ltd.

Morley (William Morley & Co. Ltd)

(1911–1944), 1944–1957

Manufacturer of earthenware and china at the Salopian Works, Victoria Rd, Fenton. The Morley business was established by William Morley in 1879 and from 1911 (1906?) traded as Morley Fox & Co. Ltd. In 1944 the name became William Morley & Co. Ltd and under this style the business continued until its closure in 1957. The Morley companies produced tableware and the general domestic earthenware. Although generally undistinguished, Morley Fox produced some interesting art deco shapes. The various businesses used the trade names ‘Homeleigh Ware’ (1930s) and ‘Morley Ware’ (1940s & 1950s) and these names appear in most marks.

Morris (Thomas Morris)

1892–1937

China manufacturer at the Regent Works, Longton (Godden 1988). The Thomas Morris business became part of Colclough China Ltd in 1937 together with the assets of H. J. Colclough and the Osborne China Co. Ltd. Thomas Morris produced good quality, well decorated china tea and coffee wares and used the trade name ‘Crown Chelsea’.

Morton (Enos Morton & Sons)

Late 1600s–1986

Maker of earthenware and brownware at the Lindley Moor Pottery, Huddersfield, Yorkshire. See the entry for Lindley Moor Pottery.

Muchelney Pottery

1965–Active 2009

Maker of domestic earthenware and art pottery at Muchelney, Langport, Somerset. The Muchelney Pottery was established by John and Elizabeth Leach in 1965 and manufactures a wide range of hand-made domestic earthenware including cookware, kitchenware and ornamental pottery. The domestic wares are identified by an impressed ‘MUCHELNEY’. John Leach, grandson of Bernard Leach, also creates one-off signed art wares identified by an impressed ‘JL’ seal mark. These art wares are widely appreciated and highly sought.

Myott, Son & Co. (Ltd)

1898–1976 (Inc. 1942)

Earthenware manufacturer at various potteries at Stoke, Cobridge and Hanley. The Myott family purchased the pottery business of George Thomas Mountford (1888-1897) at the Alexander Pottery, Wolfe St, Stoke, upon Mountford’s death in 1897. Ashley Myott had been apprenticed to the business since 1895 and became manager of the new family enterprise at the age of nineteen. The name Myott, Son & Co. was used from 1898 and the business became a private limited company Myott, Son & Co. Ltd in 1942 with Sydney Myott and Ashley Myott the registered directors. The Brownfields Works were constructed in the early 20th century and the Upper Hanley Pottery was acquired in 1925 as the business expanded. The three works being known collectively as the Alexander Potteries.

The company moved to the Crane St., Pottery in Hanley in 1949 following a disastrous fire at the Alexander Pottery that destroyed the records of the business including its pattern books. James Sadler & Sons Ltd assumed control of the business on the retirement of Mr Ashley Myott in January 1961, but Sadler sold the business to the North America based Interpace Corporation in 1969. In March 1974, Myott acquired the share capital of Alfred Meakin (Tunstall) Ltd, but the two businesses continued to operate under their own names until the formation of Myott-Meakin Ltd in 1976. The Myott business was ultimately acquired by Churchill China in 1991.

Myott Son & Co. Ltd was a large scale manufacturer of good quality, medium-priced tableware and ornamental earthenware. In the 1930s Myott produced Art Deco inspired designs on tableware and ornamental earthenware. At their best, the Myott ornamental items—vases, bowls, jugs, etc. rival those of Clarice Cliff and although lesser-known have become highly collectible. The Myott name is included in virtually all post-1900 marks. See the entry for Myott-Meakin Ltd.

Myott-Meakin Ltd

1976–1982

Earthenware manufacturer at Parsonage St, Hanley. Myott-Meakin Ltd was the holding company for the merged Myott, Son & Co. Ltd and Alfred Meakin (Tunstall) Ltd businesses. Myott (a subsidiary of the Interpace Corporation since 1969) announced that it had acquired the share capital of Alfred Meakin in March 1974; however the Myott-Meakin Ltd name does not appear to have been used until 1976. Myott-Meakin Ltd was placed in receivership in June 1982; however, the buildings, plant and business assets were purchased as a whole and the new owners recommenced production under the name Myott-Meakin (1982) Ltd in September 1982.

The Myott-Meakin Ltd products were good quality earthenware typical of the output of the original Myott and Alfred Meakin businesses. From 1972 onward, Myott also manufactured Interpace’s American designed Franciscan wares for sale in the United Kingdom, America and Europe—although this presumably ceased following Wedgwood’s acquisition of the Franciscan assets from Interpace in 1979. For further information see the entries for Interpace Corporation and Myott-Meakin (1982) Ltd.

Myott-Meakin (1982) Ltd

Myott-Meakin (Staffordshire) Ltd

(1982–1989), 1989–1991

Manufacturer of earthenware and bone china tableware at Crane St, Hanley. Myott-Meakin Ltd, the company formed in 1974 when Myott & Son Ltd acquired the share capital of Alfred Meakin (Tunstall) Ltd, was placed in receivership in June 1982. The buildings, plant and manufacturing operations were purchased by a group led by chartered accountant Mr Neil Gough and including members of the former management team. Production recommenced under the name Myott-Meakin (1982) Ltd on 21st September 1982.

In 1989 Myott-Meakin (1982) Ltd was acquired by Melton Modes of Nottingham and the name changed to Myott-Meakin (Staffordshire) Ltd. Following further management changes the business was acquired by the Churchill Group in 1991. The company manufactured good quality earthenware tableware in traditional shapes and patterns, attempting to capitalise on the reputations of the original Myott and Alfred Meakin businesses. ‘Alfred Meakin’ branded bone china tableware manufactured in Pakistan were introduced in 1985, but was short-lived.