Lake – Lybster

Scroll to locate a company on the list, click to view.

Lake’s Cornish Pottery

Lake (W. H. Lake & Son Ltd)

1872–1980

Earthenware manufacturer at the Chapel Hill Pottery, Truro, Cornwall. The Chapel Hill Pottery (also known as the ‘Truro Pottery’ and as ‘Lake’s Cornish Pottery’) was established by W. H. Lake in 1872 and produced hand-thrown and hand-made domestic pottery mainly in traditional Cornish styles and aimed at the domestic needs of the local Cornish market. In the 1920s Bernard Leach was a regular visitor to the pottery and he later acknowledged that its simple utilitarian approach was an influence in the development of his own style.

The business was acquired by the Dartington Trust in 1973 and continued in operation until about 1980. In October 1981 ownership of W. H. Lake & Son Ltd and of the Truro Pottery was acquired by Dennis and Barbara Hills and family with the intention of re-opening the Pottery for the manufacture of handcrafted traditional and contemporary pottery. Wares have an impressed mark with the words ‘LAKES CORNISH POTTERY, TRURO’ or similar wording.

Lamorna Pottery

1948–Active 2009

A studio pottery established by Christopher Ludlow and Derrick Wilshaw in 1948 at Lamorna, Penzance, Cornwall. Neither Ludlow nor Wilshaw were trained potters, but were befriended by the Leach family who encouraged and assisted them. The early Lamorna wares were hand-thrown domestic and ornamental earthenware (vases, bowls, jugs, mugs, beakers etc). The Pottery is now (2009) under the management of potter John Swan. Lamorna Pottery wares are inscribed ‘Lamorna’.

Lancaster & Sons (Ltd)

Lancaster & Sons (Hanley) Ltd

Lancaster & Sandland Ltd.

(c.1900–? ?–1944), 1944–1968

Manufacturer of earthenware at the Dresden Works, Tinkersclough, Hanley. Formerly W. Harrop & Co. The business was founded in 1900 (1902?) by Edwin Lancaster with Mr T. H. Sandland as a co-director. The name was changed to Lancaster & Sons (Hanley) Ltd at some point and from 1944 the business continued at the Dresden Works trading as Lancaster & Sandland Ltd. The company went into voluntary liquidation in November 1968. The company was a large scale producer of domestic earthenware, specialising in kitchenware, teapots, fancies, advertising ware, garden pottery and the like. It also supplied ‘white ware’ to decorators such as A. E. Gray & Co. Ltd.

Lands End Pottery

1983–Active 2007

A studio pottery established by Douglas Francis at Lands End, Cornwall in 1983. Also known as the Goatshed Pottery. The products of the Lands End Pottery include hand-made ornamental and domestic earthenware, giftware and art ware thrown or hand-built by Douglas Francis. The Pottery’s marks include the Doug Francis name and initials and ‘LANDS END’ in a variety of forms.

Langdale Pottery Co. Ltd

1947–1958

Earthenware manufacturer at the Belgrave Works, George St, Hanley. The company was sold to the Stoke-on-Trent Corporation in 1958 to pave the way for demolition of the pottery and redevelopment of the site.

Langley Pottery Ltd

1967–1982

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at Langley Mill, Derbyshire. Formerly Lovatt’s Potteries Ltd (1931-1967). Joseph Bourne & Son Ltd purchased Lovatt’s Potteries Ltd in 1959, and in 1967 changed the business name to that of Langley Pottery Ltd to capitalise on the well known ‘Langley’ trade name. In March 1970 Joseph Bourne & Son Ltd restructured as a public company, Denbyware Ltd, with Langley Pottery Ltd and Joseph Bourne & Son Ltd as subsidiaries. Denbyware Ltd was taken over by the Crown House Group in 1981 and under the new owners the Langley Mill factory closed in December 1982 after 117 years of production.

Langley Pottery Ltd produced high quality kitchen ware, oven-to-table ware and giftware. See the entries for Lovatt & Lovatt Ltd and Denbyware Ltd. There is a collectors’ society dedicated to the Langley Mill wares.

Langton Pottery Ltd

1961–1977

A studio pottery established by Gordon Plahn at Langton Green, Tunbridge Wells, Kent in 1961. Plahn operated the Sevenoaks Pottery, Sevenoaks, Kent from 1958 to 1961 and then moved to Langton Green and operated under the new name of Langton Pottery until its closure in 1977. The Plahn businesses produced handmade stoneware. Langton Pottery wares are impressed ‘LANGTON’ on the base.

Larbert Pottery

1969–Active 2009

See the entry for Davidson (Barbara Davidson Pottery).

Laureston (Philip Laureston)

?–1998 (?)

A studio potter at the Babbacombe Pottery. Products included ornamental pottery, animal models and cottages.

Laureston Designs Ltd

1998–Active 2009

Laureston Designs was formed by Philip Laureston in 1998 and manufactures hand painted novelty bottle stoppers (in clay) and other novelty giftware at Torquay, Devon.

Lawleys (1921) Ltd

Lawleys Ltd

(1921–1929), 1929–1948

Lawleys Ltd was an important UK retailer of glassware and ceramics and, following the Second World War, also the owner of numerous pottery manufacturers. Lawleys was founded as a jewellery retailer by Edgar H. Lawley in Birmingham in about 1884 and the first of Lawleys’ specialist china and glassware shops was opened in 1904. The business was incorporated in 1921 as Lawleys (1921) Ltd and in 1929 was renamed Lawleys Ltd with Edgar Lawley’s sons Thomas H. Lawley and Edgar E. Lawley as joint managing directors. The brothers ran the retail business until 1936 when Edgar E. Lawley purchased his brother’s shareholding and Thomas Lawley left to develop interests in pottery manufacture.

Lawleys Ltd continued under the direction of Edgar E. Lawley and at the end of the Second World War acquired the assets of a number of pottery businesses that had closed under the wartime concentration scheme. Between 1945 and 1947 five factories were re-opened to service the Lawley retail shops including the Daisy Bank Pottery of Adderleys Ltd, the Adderley Teapot Works, the Melbourne Works of Barlows (Longton) Ltd, and the works of Hughes (Fenton) Ltd. The Lawley-controlled companies were known collectively as the ‘Adderley Group’.

In 1948 Edgar Lawley reorganised and recapitalised his business through formation of a new company ‘Lawley Group Ltd’ and Lawleys Ltd subsequently traded as a subsidiary of the new company. It is likely that Lawleys Ltd continued as the retail china and glass business of Lawley Group Ltd until 1964, then of Allied English Potteries to 1972, and finally as part of Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd from January 1973. Forty-eight specialist Lawley china and glass retail stores, including the flagship Regent Street store, were still in operation in 1976 under Royal Doulton ownership. See the entries for Lawley Group Ltd and Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd.

Lawley Group Ltd

1948–1964

Manufacturer of earthenware and china (through numerous subsidiary companies) and retailer of china and glassware through the Lawleys retail chain. Formerly Lawleys Ltd. The Lawley Group Ltd was established by Edgar Lawley in 1948 to reorganise and recapitalise his Lawleys Ltd business already the owner of the ‘Adderley Group’ potteries. Further pottery businesses were acquired and by 1949 the Lawley Group owned or controlled Adderleys Ltd, Barlows (Longton) Ltd, the Garfield Pottery, Hughes (Fenton) Ltd, Dean’s Pottery, the Globe Pottery Co. Ltd, Ridgways (Bedford Works) Ltd, the North Staffordshire Pottery Co. Ltd and the Portland Pottery. The Floral China Co. Ltd (to become Adderley Floral China Works) was acquired in 1949 and the Sterling Pottery in 1950.

 In 1951 Whitehall Securities Corporation, an associate of the Pearson Group (the commercial empire founded by Lord Cowdray) and the owner of Booths and Colcloughs Ltd, acquired the Lawley Group. The administrations of the two groups were combined in 1953 and a new Lawley Group Ltd subsidiary, Ridgway and Adderleys Ltd, was formed to manage the Lawley Group’s pottery holdings. Further consolidation followed in 1955 when Ridgway & Adderley, Ltd and Booths and Colcloughs, Ltd were amalgamated as Ridgway Potteries, Ltd—still a subsidiary of the Lawley Group. Swinnertons, Ltd and its subsidiary Alcock, Lindley & Bloore, Ltd were acquired in 1959 and Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Co. Ltd in 1964.

In the same year, the Pearson Group, the Lawley Group’s ultimate owner, purchased Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd and the Lawley Group was renamed Allied English Potteries Ltd with Ridgway Potteries Ltd, Royal Crown Derby Ltd and Thomas Wild & Sons Ltd as independently operating subsidiaries. For further information see the entry for Allied English Potteries Ltd, and the entries for the various subsidiary companies.

Lawrence (Thomas Lawrence)

Lawrence (Thomas Lawrence (Longton) Ltd

(1888–1938), 1938–1962

Manufacturer of ornamental and fancy earthenware at the Falcon Works, Barford St, Longton. Thomas Lawrence founded his business at the Falcon Pottery in about 1888 (possibly 1892) producing ordinary domestic earthenware including toilet sets, ornamental wares and fancies. A nephew of Thomas Lawrence, John Grundy, was employed at the pottery and became owner of the business on the death of Thomas Lawrence in about 1908. Grundy incorporated the business as a private company, Thomas Lawrence (Longton) Ltd, in 1938, but died almost immediately and the business was sold to Grundy’s son-in-law Mr Richard Hull (Jnr) and Mr E. J. Dennis. Richard Hull was already a partner in Shaw & Copestake Ltd and in 1942 under the wartime Concentration Scheme the latter business joined that of Thomas Lawrence at the Falcon Pottery.

Hull became managing director of Shaw & Copestake Ltd in 1943 and the association of the two businesses continued following the Second World War, culminating in the joint occupation of a new factory in Normacot Rd in 1957. In 1962 the Thomas Lawrence business was finally folded into that of Shaw & Copestake Ltd. Thomas Lawrence (Longton) Ltd was a specialist manufacturer of a vast array of ornamental and fancy earthenware, including animals, fancy tableware, floral items and earthenware jewellery under the ‘Falcon Ware’ name.

Lawton Pottery

Active 1940s

Earthenware manufacturer at Tunstall. The Lawton Pottery was acquired by the Keele St Pottery Group in c.1948.

Leach Pottery

1920–Active 2009

A studio pottery established by Bernard Leach and Shoji Hamada at Higher Stennack, St Ives, Cornwall in 1920. The Pottery was continued by Janet Leach following the death of Bernard Leach in 1979 and was purchased by Alan Gillam in 1999. In March 2008 the pottery reopened after a major reconstruction and in the ownership of the Bernard Leach (St Ives) Trust Ltd, a registered charity. The Trust has the mandate to educate the public in the life and work of Bernard Leach and his followers and to promote studio pottery by providing training in the art and craft of pottery manufacture.

Bernard Leach was an important teacher of his craft and many potters worked at the Leach Pottery including Leach’s sons Michael and David Leach, Janet Leach, Richard Batterham, Katharine Pleydell-Bouverie, Trevor Corser, Kenneth Quick (1945–1955), Robin Welsh, Jason Watson, Scott Marshall (1951-1961), Douglas Zadek (1936-1938), Alan Brough (1968-1972) and Nick Harrison (1979-1981).

Leadbeater (Edwin Leadbeater)

1920–1924

China manufacturer at Drewery Place, Longton. Edwin Leadbeater established his own business after leaving his partnership with Arthur Hewitt at the Old Willow Pottery. The business manufactured crested china, but was declared bankrupt after only four years.

Leaper Pottery

1954–1980

A studio pottery established by Eric T. Leaper at Newlyn, Cornwall in 1954. Eric Leaper originally potted at Swanage in Dorset, and made his reputation as a potter following the move to Newlyn in 1954. The Leaper Pottery closed in 1980; however, Eric Leaper continued his creative potting at other locations until his death in 2002. The Leaper Pottery wares include useful and ornamental earthenware (vases, dishes, bowls, tableware, tea and coffee sets, general domestic earthenware, flower pots, giftware etc) and abstract animal models. Characteristic of the Leaper wares are the use of rich, brilliantly coloured glazes applied in apparent haphazard fashion to the wares. The Leaper Pottery wares are marked with an incised ‘Leaper’ signature.

Ledgar (Thomas P. Ledgar)

1900–1905

Manufacturer of china and earthenware at Heathcote Rd, Longton.

Leeds Fireclay Co. Ltd

1882–1957

Manufacturer of architectural earthenware, tiles and industrial earthenware (art pottery to c.1904). See the entry for Burmantofts.

Leedsware Pottery Co. Ltd

?–Active 2007

Earthenware manufacturer at Burslem. Leedsware Pottery Co. Ltd manufactures Creamware in imitation of the Leed-style Creamware produced by the Leeds Pottery from c.1760 to about 1878.

Leighton Pottery Ltd

1940–1954

Earthenware manufacturer at Orme St, Burslem and at the Argyle Pottery, Cobridge. The Leighton Pottery Ltd produced semi-porcelain under the trade name ‘Royal Leighton Ware’.

Lifestyle Holdings Ltd

2007–Active 2009

Lifestyle Holdings Ltd of Rickmansworth, London, is the current owner of the historic Poole Pottery (now based at Stoke-on-Trent) and Royal Stafford trade names—both businesses operating from the Royal Overhouse Manufactury, Burslem. The Lifestyle Group produces and markets tabletop accessories and giftware including ceramics and vases. See the entries for Poole Pottery (2007) Ltd, Royal Stafford China Ltd, and Royal Stafford Tableware Ltd for further information.

Lilliput Lane

1982–Active 2009

Lilliput Lane is the maker of ceramic cottage miniatures. The company was founded in 1982 by the sculptor David Tate at Skirsgill, Penrith, with the objective of making authentic models of English cottages and other domestic buildings. Lilliput Lane purchased Albany Fine China Ltd in 1987, only to dispose of the business in 1990.

The Lilliput Lane business was purchased in 1994 by Enesco Ltd, a UK-based subsidiary of the Enesco Worldwide Giftware Group of Illinois, USA. Lilliput Lane is now a division of Enesco and it remains active today with an extensive catalogue of cottage models including the core ‘British Collection’, limited editions and Collectors’ Club specials. There is an active Collectors’ Club founded in 1986 and rare models and limited editions are highly sought.

Lindley Moor Pottery

Late 1600s–1986

Earthenware manufacturer at Salendine Nook, Huddersfield. A pottery was established at Lindley Moor in the late-17th century by a Scottish family with the name of Morton. Lindley Moor contained both coal seams and associated grey and brown clay beds and the Morton family conducted a pottery business at the site until at least the mid-1980s, latterly under the name Enos Morton & Sons. The last surviving owner was an Albert Morton who died in the late-1980s. The pottery’s products included domestic earthenware (including tableware), bulb bowls, mixing bowls, ovenware, plant pots and similar utilitarian earthenware manufactured for local sale.

Lingard Webster & Co. (Ltd)

1900–post-1948

Earthenware manufacturer at the Swan Pottery, Tunstall. The pottery was vacated in 1941 under the wartime Concentration Scheme, but the business continued to operate from the Brownhills Pottery of George Clews & Co. Ltd. The company was a manufacturer of teapots and related teaware.

Linthorpe Art Pottery

1879–1889

An art pottery established by John Harrison and Christopher Dresser at Linthorpe, Middlesborough, North Yorkshire in 1879. John Harrison was a local landowner and there were philanthropic intentions behind the pottery’s establishment—Harrison was the financier and Dresser the artistic inspiration in a joint endeavour to ease the plight of the local unemployed. The pottery operated on the site of a brickworks and used the local clays, but much of the skilled labour and management was imported from the Staffordshire Potteries or elsewhere.

Henry Tooth managed the Pottery on behalf of Harrison from 1879 to 1882, ably assisted by Richard Patey who assumed the management of the pottery when Tooth left in 1882 to establish his Bretby Art Pottery. The Linthorpe business was immediately successful, exhibited internationally, and by the mid-1880s employed up to 100 workers. Harrison became bankrupt in 1889 and the otherwise successful business was forced to close.

The Linthorpe Pottery producing wares based on ideas and designs supplied by Christopher Dresser and the Linthorpe art ware includes tableware, vases, bowls, jardinieres etc that reflect Dresser’s interest in Oriental and Middle Eastern themes. The wares are glazed in rich, deep colours prepared, in the later years, at the pottery. The Linthorpe Pottery mark was an impressed ‘LINTHORPE’ superimposed on the outline of a squat vase and Dresser’s designs have an impressed ‘Chr Dresser’ signature. The Linthorpe wares are rare and are highly prized.

Little Acorns Pottery Ltd

c.1980–2009

The Little Acorns Pottery was established at Market Drayton in about 1980 and moved to Ephraim St, Longton, in about 1999. The pottery manufactured kitchenware, utilitarian earthenware, animal models and figurines. Owner/manager Ms Paula Jackson closed the pottery in mid-2009 on failing business.

Littlethorpe Potteries Ltd

c.1919–Active 2009

Earthenware and terracotta manufacturer at Park Hill, Littlethorpe, Ripon, North Yorkshire. The Littlethorpe Pottery was established in about 1830 by a James Foxton and manufactured bricks, tiles and earthenware using local clays. Foxton family control of the pottery ceased in the early 1900s and the pottery had various owners and operators until it became Littlethorpe Potteries Ltd in about 1919. Mr Arthur Fell purchased the pottery in 1922 and it passed to his son-in-law, George Curtis (the long-time manager of the pottery) in 1939. Curtis continued the business until 1975 when his son Roland Curtis assumed control.

In the 20th century the Littlethorpe Pottery has produced bricks, tiles, agricultural pipes, garden pottery and hand-thrown domestic wares such as bread crocks, jardinieres and jugs. In the mid-1980s the Pottery operated as a working heritage centre, but has since reverted to a small working pottery with all production by Roland Curtis and son Mark Curtis.

Liverpool Road Pottery, Ltd

?–Active 1970

Decorator of bone china and earthenware at Liverpool Rd, Stoke.

Liverton Art Pottery

c.1913–1922

Earthenware manufacturer at Liverton, Devon. See the entry for the Devonmoor Art Pottery.

LJB Ceramics

1995–2003 (continued as Lorna Bailey Artware)

Manufacturer and decorator of ornamental pottery at the Ellgreave Pottery (and other sites), Burslem. LJB Ceramics (the initials stand for Lorna Jennifer Bailey) was established by Lionel Bailey and Geoffrey Stanaway in December 1995 at the Ellgreave Pottery, Burslem using equipment purchased in the liquidation of Wood & Sons Ellgreave Pottery business. The partners planned to buy-in whiteware to be decorated with patterns designed by Lionel Bailey’s daughter Lorna, a student studying ceramic design and with a keen interest in the art deco styles made popular by Clarice Cliff, Charlotte Reid and Susie Cooper.

Lorna Bailey’s design talents extended to modelling and within a short period her re-interpreted art deco shapes and matching patterns hand-painted in vibrant colours dominated the pottery’s production, meeting a keen demand. In 1998 production moved to the old Crownford Works, Newcastle St., Burslem, and by the end of 1998, the business had a turnover of £500,000, was employing 16 full-time painters, had sales in the United States, and was servicing a collector base of over 1,000.

All shapes and patterns were designed by Lorna Bailey and produced in limited editions of 50 pieces or less, designs often only remaining in production for just a few weeks. Early products were Toby Jugs and hand-painted ornamental items including jugs, teapots, bowls, vases and cruets. Collectible cats modelled in ‘art deco style’ were introduced in 2001 and these have quickly become highly sought collectibles. In 2003 the name was changed to Lorna Bailey Artware and the business moved to the vacant Price & Kensington teapot factory in Longport, formerly part of Arthur Wood Group. For further history see the entry for Lorna Bailey Artware.

Locke & Co. (Ltd)

1896–1904 (Inc. c.1902)

Porcelain manufacturer at the Shrub Hill Works, Worcester. The business was taken over by Worcester Royal Porcelain Co. in 1904.

Lockett (John Lockett & Co.)

Early 19th century–Active 1970

Earthenware manufacturer at the Middleport Pottery, Burslem. The Lockett business was established at Longton in the early 1800s and manufactured hospital earthenware and chemists’ ware for over 100 years. The Lockett business was acquired by Burgess & Leigh Ltd in 1960 when the Lockett’s premises were acquired for civic purposes. The business was moved to the Middleport Pottery (Burgess & Leigh were already makers of hospital wares) and was still trading under its own name in 1970. The business produced hospital ware, jugs and other utilitarian earthenware.

Lockhart (David Lockhart & Sons (Ltd))

1898–1953

Earthenware manufacturer at the Victoria Pottery, Pollokshaws, Glasgow, Scotland. David Lockhart and Charles Arthur established a pottery at Pollokshaws, Glasgow in 1855. Charles Arthur left the partnership in 1865 and it then traded as David Lockhart & Co. until 1898 when the name David Lockhart & Sons was adopted. The Lockhart businesses produced tableware and ornamental earthenware. A speciality of the business was the making of chimney ornaments (animal & human figures etc) in the Staffordshire style. Marks were an impressed ‘DL & Co’ or ‘DL & Sons’.

Lockitt (William H. Lockitt)

1901–1919

Earthenware manufacturer at the Wellington Works, Hanley. The business was formerly known as the Wellington Pottery Co. (1899-1901).

Longpark Pottery

Early 1880s–1957

Terracotta and earthenware manufacturer at Long Park, Torquay, Devon. The Longpark Pottery was probably established by former employees of the Watcombe Pottery and had many owners over its life. The business was acquired by the Watcombe Pottery in the 1950s and closed in 1957. The Pottery produced ‘Devon’ wares in a style similar to the Aller Vale and Watcombe Potteries. Wares were marked ‘Longpark, Torquay’.

Longpark Pottery Co. (Ltd)

1905–1940

Earthenware manufacturer at Longpark, Torquay, Devon.

Longton Ceramics

1982–1984

Earthenware manufacturer at the Sylvan Works, Longton. When Shaw & Copestake Ltd went into voluntary liquidation in 1982 the business was bought by the North Midland Co-operative Society and leased to a workers’ co-operative operating as Longton Ceramics. The business was not successful and was taken over in 1984 by the United Co-operative Society who adopted the name Crown Winsor. See the entry for Crown Winsor.

Longton New Art Pottery Co. (Ltd)

1932–1965

Earthenware manufacturer at the Gordon Pottery, Longton. Longton New Art Pottery produced art ware and tableware using the trade name Kelsboro Ware. The company closed during the Second World War, but reopened in 1946. Kelsboro Ceramics Ltd succeeded the Longton New Art Pottery business in 1965. The firm purchased the floral china moulds used by Charles Amison & Co. Ltd when the latter closed in 1962 and manufactured floral china sold under the name ‘Staffs Floral Bone China’.

Longton Porcelain Co. (Ltd)

1892–1908

Porcelain manufacturer at the Victoria Works, Longton.

Longton Pottery Co. Ltd

1946–1955

Earthenware manufacturer at the Bluebell Works, Longton. The company used the trade name ‘Blue Bell Ware’.

Lorna Bailey Artware

2003–2008

Manufacturer of ornamental pottery at Longport and at Wedgwood St, Burslem. Formerly LJB Ceramics. Lorna Bailey studied at the Burslem School of Art and was co-founder, in 1995, of LJB Ceramics with her father Lionel Bailey and his partner Geoffrey Stannaway. In 2003 the business moved to the ex-Price & Kensington teapot factory, Longport, and changed name to Lorna Bailey Artware. There was a further move to Wedgwood St, Burslem in 2005.

In February 2008, it was announced that the business was to close to allow Lorna Bailey, its inspiration and sole modeller and designer, to pursue other interests. In May 2008, however, the business was reported to be in voluntary liquidation owing creditors about £40,000.

Trading as LJB Ceramics (1995-2003) and then as Lorna Bailey Artware, the business became internationally known for Lorna Bailey’s distinctive, brightly coloured ornamental pottery in re-interpreted art deco style. The business produced ornamental pottery, giftware, animal figures (especially cats), busts, piggybanks, and exotically shaped teapots and vases. In 2006 Lorna Bailey introduced a range of Beatles collectibles in collaboration with the Beatles Story Museum. Known as the Rock Pop Art range, the teapots, plaques etc featured caricatures of the four Beatles. There was an active Lorna Bailey Collectors Club, which, at its peak in 2005 reputedly had over 5,000 members. See the entry for LJB Ceramics for the early history of the business.

Lotus Pottery

1957–1999

A studio pottery established by Michael Skipworth at Stoke Gabriel, Totnes, Devon, in 1957. The Lotus Pottery produced tableware, kitchenware, oven-to-table ware, lamp bases, flower pot holders and similar domestic earthenware. The Pottery closed in 1999. Wares are marked with a printed or impressed ‘LP’ seal.

Lovatt & Lovatt (Ltd)

1895–1930 (Inc. 1913)

Manufacturer of stoneware and earthenware at Langley Mill, Derbyshire. Formerly Calvert & Lovett (1883–1895). The name Lovatt & Lovatt was adopted by brothers Albert and John Lovatt in 1895 on the retirement of William Calvert from their former partnership at Langley Mill. Albert Lovatt died in 1913 and the business was restructured as a private limited company, Lovatt & Lovatt Ltd, controlled by John Lovatt and Albert Lovatt’s sons Albert Jnr and Reginald Lovatt. Family control of the business continued until it was placed in liquidation in July 1930. The business was bought by James Oakes & Co. Ltd in 1931 and under the new owners the name was changed to Lovatt’s Potteries Ltd.

The Lovatt & Lovatt businesses were important manufacturers of domestic stoneware and art pottery. Domestic wares included tea and coffee pots, tableware, kitchenware, and domestic items such as hot water bottles, foot warmers and garden pottery. The Lovatt brothers had originally joined William Calvert in a venture to produce art pottery using Calvert’s stoneware body and production of art wares—vases, jugs, jardinieres, bulb bowls and the like—continued until the pottery’s closure. The business used numerous trade names including Langley Ware, Lovique Ware, New Art Ware and Osborne Ware. Marks generally include the name or the initials ‘L & L’. See the following entry for Lovatt’s Potteries Ltd.

Lovatt’s Potteries Ltd

1931–1967

Manufacturer of stoneware and earthenware at Langley Mill, Nottingham. Formerly Lovatt & Lovatt Ltd (1895-1930). James Oakes & Co. Ltd acquired the Langley Mill Pottery in 1931 and renamed the business Lovatt’s Potteries Ltd, although no Lovatt family connection remained. Under the new management the pottery was modernised and production of domestic stoneware expanded. Production of art wares ceased in 1939, but the pottery continued in production during the Second World War manufacturing utility wares for domestic and government/armed services use. Post-war, the pottery returned to its traditional stoneware manufacture, however declining sales and profitability saw the business put up for sale in 1958 and it was sold to Joseph Bourne & Son Ltd of the nearby Denby Pottery in October 1959.

Under Denby’s ownership, the business became an important manufacturer of kitchenware and giftware sold under the ‘Langley’ name and in 1967 the business was renamed Langley Pottery Ltd. Lovatt’s Potteries Ltd used a windmill in their marks. See the entry for Langley Pottery Ltd.

Lowe (William Lowe)

1874–1930

China manufacturer at the Sydney Works, Longton. William Lowe and John Tams established an earthenware and china making business at the St. Gregory’s Works, Longton in 1865. Tams left the business in 1875 and Lowe continued under his own name. The Sydney Works were constructed in 1879 at Sutherland Rd, Longton for the exclusive production of china wares. William Lowe died in 1898, but the business was continued under his name until purchased by Thomas C. Wild & Sons in about 1918. Wild continued the business under the William Lowe name until closing the business in 1930. Trade names used by William Lowe include ‘Court China’ and ‘Royal Sydney Ware’.

Lowerdown Pottery (David Leach)

1956–2005

A studio pottery established in 1956 at Lowerdown, Bovey Tracey, Devon, by David Leach. Leach purchased the pottery from Alfred Ehlers in 1956 after working at the Leach Pottery, the Aylesford Pottery and the Dartington Pottery. He ceased potting in 2003 and died in 2005. At Lowerdown, Leach produced earthenware, stoneware and porcelain. Leach’s Lowerdown wares have an impressed ‘LD’ seal mark or a similar mark with an ‘L’ enclosing a cross.

Lybster Pottery

1976–?

A studio Pottery at Lybster, Caithness, Scotland, a subsidiary of Caithness Glass. See the entry for Orr Ceramics Ltd