Iden – Kirklands

Scroll to locate a company on the list, click to view.

Iden Pottery

1959–2002

A studio pottery established by Dennis Townsend at Conduit Hill, Iden, near Rye, Dorset. Townsend had worked at the Rye Pottery and in 1959 established his own Pottery at nearby Iden. The business outgrew several premises and in 1966 moved to The Monastery, Conduit Hill, Rye where it remained until closing on the retirement of Dennis and Maureen Townsend in 2002.

The Iden Pottery was prolific and wares were sold through leading Department stores and for export. Wares include earthenware coffee and teaware, mugs, fancy tableware, lamp bases, giftware etc. Ornamental stoneware was also made. The Iden Pottery mark is a readily recognisable printed circular seal. The words ‘Iden Pottery’, ‘Rye’, and ‘England’ are included in the mark.

Interpace Corporation

1969–1982

The Interpace Corporation of Parsippany, New Jersey, USA manufactured in the United Kingdom following its acquisition of Myott, Son & Co. Ltd in 1969 and Alfred Meakin (Tunstall) Ltd in 1974. Interpace merged the Myott and Meakin businesses and from c.1976 they traded under the name Myott-Meakin Ltd although the well respected Myott and Meakin wares continued to be sold under their own trade names.

In 1972 Interpace commenced manufacture of its American ‘Franciscan Tableware’ brand in the United Kingdom using the Myott plant to manufacture the characteristic Franciscan wares. Shapes, patterns and some glazes were imported from the USA and the UK manufactured Franciscan ware for sale in the United Kingdom, North American and Europe. Interpace sold its Glendale, California tableware plant (the home of Franciscan) to Wedgwood in 1979. The new owner transferred the manufacture of Franciscan ware to its Johnson Bros factories in the UK and closed the Glendale plant in 1984. Interpace appears to have continued as owner of Myott-Meakin Ltd post-1979, but in 1982 Myott-Meakin Ltd was placed in receivership and sold to new owners.

Early UK-manufactured Franciscan wares bear the standard oval ‘Franciscan’ mark used in the USA, but with ‘England’ replacing ‘U.S.A’. Later marks are more varied, but the ‘Franciscan’ name is always prominent. In general, there is no reference to the Myott or Alfred Meakin factories, however, I have sighted a Leeds ware jug impressed with the Alfred Meakin name and carrying a Franciscan mark. See the entries for Johnson Bros (Hanley) Ltd and for Myott-Meakin Ltd for further information on the history of the companies and manufacture of Franciscan tablewares.

Irish Dresden

1962–2009

Maker of porcelain figurines at Dromcollogher (Dromcolliher), County Limerick, Ireland. Irish Dresden was founded by Oskar and Johanna Saar, members of a former Dresden family business ‘Muller Volkstedt’ who moved from Germany to Ireland following the Second World War. The business closed in April 2009. Irish Dresden specialised in the manufacture of lace-bedecked porcelain figurines made by saturating lace cloth in slip and allowing it to harden. Irish folk tradition and child figures were the main inspiration, but the company also made bird and animal models. The Irish Dresden backstamp includes the letters ‘MV’ over the ‘Irish Dresden’ name.

Isis Pottery

c.1988–Active 2009

A studio pottery founded by Debora Sears in 1988 at Oxford, Oxfordshire, and now at Horton-cum-Studley. Isis Ceramics manufactures tin-glazed wares in the English Delftware tradition designed and decorated to patterns drawn by Debora Sears. The business manufactures dinnerware, decorative pottery and lighting. ‘Design-for-you’ bespoke dinnerware is offered by the Pottery. Marks, often hand-painted, include the name ‘Isis’.

Island Pottery Studio

?–Active 1970

Earthenware manufacturer at Freshwater, Isle of Wight.

Isle of Man Potteries Ltd

?–Active 1970

Manufacturer of earthenware at The Quay, Ramsey, Isle of Man.

Isle of Lewis Pottery Ltd

Active mid-1970s

A studio pottery established on the Isle of Lewis by Mr Colin Thompson. Wares included coffee sets, casserole dishes and salt jars.

Isle of Wight Handcraft Pottery

1926–1939

A studio pottery established by Samuel Saunders as an offshoot of the Carisbrooke Brick, Tile and Pottery Works at Gunville, Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight. Hulbert Saunders managed the Pottery following the death of Samuel Saunders in 1930, but the business was closed in 1938. The Isle of Wight Pottery produced ornamental earthenware using local red clays. Early wares are marked ‘SS’.

Jackson & Gosling (Ltd)

1866–1961 (Inc. 1928)

Manufacturer of bone china tablewares under the ‘Grosvenor China’ trade name. The Jackson & Gosling partnership was established in 1866 at the Grosvenor Works in King St. Fenton, moving to the Grosvenor Works, Gregory St. Longton in 1909. The business was acquired by Mr. A. E. Hewitt and Mr. Harold J. Plant in the 1920s and was incorporated as Jackson & Gosling Ltd in 1928. Their ownership was short-lived, however, and in 1931 the business was merged with that of W. T. Copeland & Sons Ltd, A. E. Hewitt joining Ronald and Gresham Copeland as directors of the enlarged Copeland business.

In December 1950 W. T. Copeland & Sons Ltd sold Jackson & Gosling Ltd to Mr. Donald Poole, formerly the production manager and a director of Thomas Poole & Gladstone China Ltd. The Grosvenor Works was sold to Shelleys in 1953 and the factory demolished in the following year. The Jackson & Gosling Ltd business and Grosvenor China trade name were acquired by the New Chelsea China Co. Ltd (owner possibly Susie Cooper and/or the Plant family) in August 1957. The ‘Grosvenor China’ trade name continued in use and in 1961 a newly formed company Grosvenor China Ltd acquired the Jackson & Gosling Ltd business and took over the New Chelsea China Co. Ltd’s Chelson St. Works. For further information see the entries for Grosvenor China Ltd and New Chelsea China Co. Ltd.

Jason China Co. Ltd

1948–1950

Manufacturer of bone china at High St, Longton. Jason China was established by Mr J. G. Hiles and Mr A. E. Howard following their acquisition of the assets of the Doric China Co. from Mr J. H. Dale in 1948. In 1950 the pottery was purchased by Susie Cooper as a base for her Susie Cooper China Ltd venture into bone china manufacture. Jason China Co. Ltd produced breakfast, tea and coffee wares in bone china.

JCJ Pottery

1974–Active 2009

A studio pottery founded by Jonathan Chiswell Jones in 1974 at Pevensey, East Sussex. The pottery manufactures and decorates porcelain by hand and specialises in lusterware. The range of products include table and kitchenware, ornamental items, jugs, bowls, vases and household items such as lamp bases, incense burners, tiles and cupboard knobs. The mark of the maker is a monogram JCJ.

Jersey Potteries Ltd

1946–Active 2009

Earthenware manufacturer at Gorey Village, Jersey, Channel Islands. The Pottery was founded in 1946 by Charles and William Potter and, in 1954, was purchased by the Jones family who continue to own and manage the business. Jersey Potteries Ltd is now a mid-size pottery business producing tablewares, fancy earthenware and giftware to service the Jersey tourism industry and for export. Wares are marked with ‘Jersey Pottery’ in a variety of forms.

John Bull Ceramics

Active 1979

Earthenware manufacturer at the Jubilee Works, Dewsbury Rd, Fenton. John Bull Ceramics was established by Mr Brian Wedgwood (date uncertain) and manufactured coffee mugs, traditionally shaped teacups, and fancy items including jugs, vases, money boxes and egg baskets. The business also produced models of Shire horse.

Jon Bull Ceramics

Active 2009

A studio pottery established by Jon Bull at Lanrumney, Cardiff. Jon Bull throws and glazes individual art wares in addition to the manufacture of tea and tableware.

Johnson (Samuel Johnson (Ltd))

1887–1916 (Inc. c.1912)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Hill Pottery, Burslem.

Johnson Bros. (Hanley) Ltd.

1883–1968 (Active 2009 as part of the Wedgwood Group)

Earthenware manufacturer producing domestic earthenware, tableware, sanitary ware and tiles at numerous potteries at Hanley, Tunstall and Cobridge. Johnson Bros. (Hanley) Ltd was established by brothers, Alfred and Frederick Johnson at the Charles Street Works, Hanley in 1883. They were later joined by their brothers Henry and Robert Johnson. Members of the Johnson family maintained control of the business through the difficult times of the First and Second World Wars, and still held 70% of the share capital when the company was acquired by Wedgwood in a friendly takeover in January 1968.

Although also manufacturers of sanitary ware, tiles and industrial pottery, the Johnson business was known for its high quality earthenware produced in a light, well finished body. In the 19th century the company was known for its durable ‘White Granite’ wares, and traditional transfer prints, produced in large quantities for the North American and colonial markets. In the 20th century, finely engraved transfer printed wares, for example the ‘Old British Castles’ series and ‘Historic America, and tablewares manufactured in solid coloured bodies—’Grey Dawn’ (1929) being the first—were the staple products for the UK, North America and Dominion markets. By the mid-1940s the company was one of the world’s largest makers of earthenware and ironstone china. Johnson Bros. was also a major supplier of white wares to decorators such as A. E. Gray & Co. Ltd.

Following the acquisition by Wedgwood in 1968, the Johnson industrial pottery businesses were sold off and the remaining factories reorganised. Wedgwood continued production of domestic earthenware under the Johnson name as part of its Creative Tableware Division (including J. & G. Meakin, Midwinter, Franciscan and others). The Johnson name was discontinued at some point, but was revived in 1991 and again in 1996 and continues today (2009) as the Waterford Wedgwood Group’s core earthenware brand. However, since 2003 all Johnson Bros. branded products have been manufactured outside the United Kingdom.

Following Wedgwood’s acquisition of the American ‘Franciscan Tableware’ brand in 1979, Johnson Bros. became the manufacturer of Franciscan wares (solely so post-1984) for both the American and UK markets. In 1990, Johnson Bros celebrated the 50th anniversary of the famous Franciscan embossed, hand painted ‘Desert Rose’ pattern tableware with a special edition. There are numerous Johnson Bros. marks, but most include the well known Crown and all include the Johnson Bros name.

Jones (A. E. Jones (& Co.))

Jones (Albert E. Jones (Longton) Ltd)

(1905–c.1929), c.1929–1946

Primarily a manufacturer of earthenware (some china) at the Garfield Pottery, Longton. Albert E. Jones founded the business in about 1905 and it traded as A. E. Jones & Co. (c.1905–c1929). The name was changed to A. E. Jones & Co. (Longton) Ltd in about 1929 and the company moved to the Palissy Pottery, Chancery Lane, Longton, in about 1930. The business was closed in 1941 as part of the wartime Concentration Scheme, but re-opened in 1946 as the Palissy Pottery, Ltd. A. E. Jones (Longton) Ltd and earlier businesses produced good quality domestic earthenware and semi-porcelain for domestic and export markets. The ‘Palissy’ trade name was used from the early 1900s and some early marks were re-used by the succeeding business. For further information see the entry for Palissy Pottery Ltd.

Jones (Uriah Jones & Sons Ltd)

?–?

Decorator of bone china and earthenware at the Victoria Terrace Pottery, Lascelles St, Tunstall.

Jones (A. B. Jones & Sons (Ltd))

1900–1972 (Inc. 1955)

Manufacturer of bone china and earthenware at the Grafton Works, Longton. Alfred Bailey Jones began his pottery business in 1876 working as a decorator and pottery factor. The Grafton Works, Longton, were constructed in 1900 and the business then traded as a family partnership including sons A. B. and W. B. Jones. Alfred Jones died in 1940, but the business continued under the management of A. B. Jones (Jnr) until his death in 1956. His son, Alfred Leslie Jones, managed the business until 1966 when the company was bought by Crown House Glass Ltd (a subsidiary of Crown House Investments). It continued to trade under its own name until re-sold to Crown Lynne Potteries Ltd in 1971 and renamed Crown Lynn Ceramics (UK) Ltd.

  1. B. Jones & Sons were important manufacturers of bone china tea, coffee and breakfast wares. In the early 1900s the business was one of the largest producers of china miniatures and souvenir wares, competing in this market with the high quality products of Shelleys and W. H. Goss. Trade names used by the company include ‘Grafton’, ‘Royal Grafton’ (from the 1930s), and ‘Marlborough’. The initials ‘ABJ’ are included in many marks as are the ‘Grafton’ and ‘Royal Grafton’ names. See the entry for Crown Lynn Ceramics (UK) Ltd for the later history of the company.

Jones (A. G. Harley Jones)

1907 (1905?)–1934

Manufacturer of china and earthenware at the Royal Vienna Art Pottery and the Wilton Pottery, Fenton. A. G. Harley Jones produced ornamental wares and, in the 1920s, was a manufacturer of heraldic china using the ‘Wilton China’ trade name. The business was declared bankrupt in 1934.

Jones (George Jones (& Sons Ltd))

1873-1960 (Inc. 1894)

Manufacturer of earthenware, majolica and china at the Crescent Pottery, Longton. George Jones & Co. commenced pottery manufacture at the Bridge Works, Stoke, in early 1862. Within three years (1865) the firm had moved to a new, purpose build factory, the Trent Pottery (later renamed the Crescent Pottery). The name George Jones & Sons was adopted in 1873 and in 1894 the partners incorporated as George Jones and Sons Ltd.

In 1929 Walter Bakewell, purchased the business ending the Jones family’s ownership of the company. Harrison & Son (Hanley) Ltd purchased Walter Bakewell’s controlling shareholding in 1933 and the Crescent Potteries became the manufacturing base for their other pottery interests including Cauldon Potteries Ltd and Coalport China Ltd. In 1947 ownership of the group passed from Harrison & Son (Hanley) Ltd to Sydney and Stanley Harrison themselves. Modernisation of the Crescent Potteries followed, but company policy favoured manufacture of the Coalport and Cauldon wares and use of the Crescent China trade name ceased in c.1951. The Crescent Potteries were closed in 1959 and partially demolished shortly afterward.

The George Jones business was a large manufacturer and exporter of earthenware and china. In the 19th and early 20th Century, the company was an important maker of domestic majolica wares—jardinieres, vases, umbrella stands and the like. High quality and well decorated china tablewares were also produced from at least as early as the 1890s. The George Jones marks include the initials ‘JG’, a prominent crescent mark and the word ‘Crescent’. The 19th and early-20th century majolica and bone china wares of George Jones & Sons Ltd are of the highest quality and are under-appreciated.

Joyous Pottery

1920s–1930s

Earthenware manufacturer at Broadstone, Poole. The Joyous Pottery produced ornamental earthenware decorated in early art deco style.

Just Mugs Ltd

?–Active 2009

Manufacturer of mugs in porcelain, stoneware and bone china at College Rd, Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent and currently (2009) at Queenway Industrial Estate, Longport. Formerly English Ironstone Tableware Ltd and, before that, the Washington Pottery (Staffordshire) Ltd. Just Mugs Ltd also produces coffee ware (cappuccino and espresso sets) and utility ‘Coftea’ pots and also imports ceramic goods to supplement its manufactured ranges. Its fine bone china mugs are marketed under the ‘Rose of England’ brand.

Keele Street Group

?–1956

Name used for the pottery businesses formed or acquired by Charles Griffiths Bowers in the period between 1946 and 1950. Companies in the Group included the Keele Street Pottery Co. Ltd, Paramount Pottery Co. Ltd, Winterton Pottery Ltd, Thomas Cone Ltd, Collingwood Bone China Ltd, Conway Pottery Ltd, Piccadilly Pottery, Lawton Pottery and Staffordshire Potteries Ltd (established by C. G. Bowers in 1948). Individual potteries retained their identities within the ‘KSP Group’. The name was in use in the mid-1950s but was probably phased out following the establishment of Staffordshire Potteries (Holdings) Ltd as the holding company for the group in 1956. See the entry for Staffordshire Potteries (Holdings) Ltd.

Keele Street Pottery Co. (Ltd)

1915–1958?

Earthenware manufacturer at Keele St, Tunstall (to c.1958) and then at Meir Airport, Longton, as part of the Staffordshire Potteries Group. The company was founded in 1915 by Charles H. Bowers, Elijah Brookes, J. A Robinson and H. W. Pitt. The company closed in 1941 under the wartime Concentration scheme. Bower’s son, Charles Griffiths Bowers, re-activated the business in 1946 and between 1946 and 1948 established or acquired other pottery companies that came to be known, collectively, as the ‘Keele Street (Pottery) Group’.

The Keele Street Pottery Co. Ltd, as part of the group, became a subsidiary of Staffordshire Potteries Ltd and (from 1958) operated from the Meir Airport site. Pre-war, the Keele Street Pottery mass produced utility earthenware. Under C. G. Bowers the business produced tablewares, ornamental earthenware, cottage ware and fancy earthenware. Most of the Keele Street wares are plain and utilitarian, but the cottage ware—tea and coffee pots, table accessories etc—cast in the shape of quaint rural buildings is a minor collectible. Wares are marked with the initials ‘K.S.P’ or the full name of the business.

Keeling & Co. (Ltd)

1886–1936

Earthenware manufacturer at the Dale Hall Works, Burslem. Keeling and Co. produced mainly transfer printed domestic wares under the ‘Losol’ name introduced in 1912. Losol Ware is brightly decorated earthenware produced in typical ‘eastern’ patterns such as Asiatic Pheasants and, under the influence of designer Charles Wright (formerly a designer for C. T. Maling & Sons Ltd), in abstract floral and fruit patterns associated with the art deco period. Keeling & Co. Ltd marks include the figure of a potter and may include the words ‘Late Mayers’.

Kelsboro Ceramics Ltd

1965–?

Earthenware manufacturer, succeeding the Longton New Art Pottery Co. Ltd from 1965.

Kennedy (Henry Kennedy & Sons (Ltd))

1886–1929

Manufacturer of stoneware at the Barrowfield Pottery, Glasgow, Scotland. This company specialised in glass-lined stoneware bottles and jars.

Kensington Pottery Ltd

c.1922–post-1965

Earthenware manufacturer at the Kensington Works, Hanley (1922-1937) and subsequently at Trubshaw Cross, Burslem. Mr. Gerald Wood, the managing director of the Arthur Wood Group acquired a controlling interest in the Kensington Pottery in about 1937, subsequently moving the pottery to the Longport site of Price Bros. (Burslem) Ltd. The two businesses were merged in January 1962 and subsequently operated as Price & Kensington Potteries. (Kensington Pottery Ltd, was still listed as an active member of the Arthur Wood Group in 1965, although not in 1967).

The Kensington Pottery was primarily a manufacturer of fancy earthenware (animal models, figurines, ornamental teapots and novelties), but also produced teapots and general domestic earthenware. The Kensington Pottery Ltd used the trade name ‘Kensington Ware’ and the mark was a Staffordshire knot enclosing the initials ‘KPB’. See the entries for Wood (Arthur Wood & Son (Longport) Ltd) and for the Price & Kensington Potteries Ltd.

Kent (James Kent (Ltd))

Kent (James Kent (1989) Ltd)

(1897–1989), 1989–2009 (Inc. 1913)

Manufacturer of earthenware and porcelain at the Old Foley Pottery, Longton. James Kent established his family business at the Old Foley Pottery in 1897. He was joined in the business by his four sons and on his death, his second son, Philip Francis Kent succeeded as Chairman of the company. The business remained in family management until 1981 when it was purchased by Bayer (UK) Ltd. In 1986 the business was acquired by Fleshpots (UK) Ltd who planned a major modernisation of production and marketing. The business became part of County Potteries plc in 1987 and in February 1989 County Potteries was renamed Carlton & Kent (reflecting its ownership of the Carlton Ware and James Kent names). Carlton & Kent entered receivership in February 1989 and James Kent Ltd was purchased by M. R. Hadida Ltd, owners of Hadida Fine Bone China Ltd, Fenton. The company was renamed James Kent (1989) Ltd, but is (2009) no longer active as a tableware manufacturer.

James Kent originally produced good quality domestic tablewares for the mass market using traditional shapes and patterns. The company is known for its chinz patterns introduced in the 1920s and, intermittently, in production to the present day. Patterns such as ‘Hydrangea’, ‘Du Barry’ and ‘Apple Blossom’ were exported in large quantities to North America. Production of chinz wares ceased in c.1989, but was briefly re-started by the firm in 1998 for the collectors’ market.

Kent (William Kent (Porcelains) Ltd)

1944–1962

Earthenware manufacturer at Auckland St, Burslem, and at the Novelty Works, Wellington St, Burslem (in 1945). The company ceased production of domestic earthenware in 1962 but continued to produce industrial ceramics.

Kernewek Pottery Ltd

?–?

A studio pottery at Goonhaven, Cornwall.

Kevin Francis Ceramics

Mid-1980s–2006

See the entry under Francis (Kevin Francis Ceramics).

Keystone Pottery

Active 1970s

Manufacturer of ornamental earthenware at York St, Hanley. Keystone Pottery was established by V. C. Liddle and produced fancy earthenware—music boxes, cruets, cottage miniatures, animal models, figurines, money boxes, lamp bases, Toby and character jugs, etc. The business also manufactured reproductions of ‘antique’ Staffordshire wares including Staffordshire dogs.

King Street Pottery Ltd

?–?

King Street Pottery Ltd was a wholesalers of ceramics and glass wares.

King & Barrett (Ltd)

1894–1940

Earthenware manufacturer at the Bournes Bank Pottery, Newport Lane, Burslem. King & Barrett was a partnership established in 1894 between a Mr King and Mr William G. Barrett at the Bournes Bank Pottery. In 1916 Mr. Barrett acquired his partner’s interest in the business and also purchased an interest in earthenware manufacturer Gater Hall & Co. The two businesses remained separate, but were operated co-operatively. King & Barrett closed in 1940 prior to the pottery industry concentration scheme and was not re-opened. See also the entries for Gater Hall & Co. and Barratt’s of Staffordshire.

Kingsfield Pottery Co.

?–Late-1940s

Earthenware manufacturer at Shelton New Rd, Stoke. Kingsfield Pottery Co. was a specialist maker of teapots. The company closed during the Second World War. It restarted production in 1946, but closed in the late 1940s.

Kingston Pottery

c.1975–1985

Earthenware and china manufacturer at Havelock St, and then at Scarborough St, Hull, Yorkshire. The Kingston Pottery was founded in about 1975 by brothers John and Herbert Love. The brothers owned pottery shops in Hull and started the Pottery to supply earthenware for their retail business. The business benefited from the guidance of Colin Rawson of the nearby Hornsea Pottery which had started on a similar small scale. The business was a success and within a few years was operating from a modern factory in Scarborough St, Hull, supplying the major UK retail chains and exporting ornamental earthenware to North America. To expand production, the brothers purchased the Ferrybridge Pottery, Knottingley, in 1984, but the coal miners’ strike in the same year increased costs and restricted production forcing the business to close in 1985.

The Kingston Pottery produced mainly ornamental earthenware and bone china, but also manufactured kitchenware, bathroom accessories, planters and similar domestic earthenware. The main products were miniature Toby jugs, figurines, animal models and character jugs.

Kingwood Pottery (Kingwood Rural Industries)

1948–1956

Earthenware manufacturer at Sandyhills, Whitley, Surrey. Kingwood Pottery was established in 1948 by Mr David Wilkinson. It was absorbed into the West Surrey Ceramics Co. in 1956. Kingwood Pottery produced hand-made earthenware including beer mugs, tea and coffee wares, flowerpot holders, grotesque animal models, and other fancy earthenware. See the entry for West Surrey Ceramics Co. for further information.

Kirkham (Roy Kirkham & Co. Ltd)

1975–Active 2009

Manufacturer of bone china tableware and mugs at Lascelles St, Tunstall. The business was founded by Roy Kirkham in 1975 and is still owned and operated by the Kirkham family. Roy Kirkham was a designer and lithographer who, in the mid-1970s, founded his own company supplying lithographic decals to the major bone china manufacturers. The company expanded into manufacture, and now exports tableware and ceramic giftware to over 60 countries. Products are traditionally decorated tableware, teapots, mugs and giftware etc with an emphasis on roses and bright floral designs. Toby jugs in collectors’ series were produced in the 1980s but were discontinued in favour of fine bone china tableware manufacture.

Kirkhams (Ltd)

1859–1961 (Inc. 1948)

Earthenware manufacturer at London Road and Kirkham St, Stoke. The business was founded by William Kirkham in 1859 and traded as Kirkhams from c.1892. The business was sold in July 1946 by the executors of the estate of W. R. & H. G. Kirkham and the business then traded under new owners as Kirkhams Ltd from 1948. In December 1961 the business was purchased by A. E. Gray & Co. Ltd and Kirkhams and Grays then combined under the name Portmeirion Potteries Ltd from January 1962. Kirkhams were specialist producers of hospital and laboratory earthenware, and industrial ceramic components, but also produced domestic earthenware, kitchenware and teapots.

Kirkland & Co.

Kirklands (Etruria) Ltd

(1892–1938), 1938–1947?

Earthenware manufacturer at the Albion Pottery, Etruria. Formerly Kirkland & Co. (1892-1938), the company’s name changed to Kirklands (Etruria) Ltd in c.1938 when A. E. Gray purchased an interest in the business. The pottery was vacated in 1941 under the wartime Concentration Scheme, but the business continued to operate from the Middleport Pottery of Burgess & Leigh Ltd. Kirklands manufactured tea and dinnerwares and the pottery supplied white ware for decoration to A. E. Gray & Co. Ltd. See the entry for Kirklands (Staffordshire) Ltd.

Kirklands (Staffordshire) Ltd

1947–?

Earthenware manufacturer and dealer at the Albion Pottery, Etruria. The proprietors of Kirklands (Staffordshire) were H. S. Kirkland (also a Director of Kirklands (Etruria) Ltd) and J. L. and J. S. Weatherby. It is unclear whether the new company assumed the business of Kirklands (Etruria) Ltd, or operated separately.