Hadida – Humphris

Scroll to locate a company on the list, click to view.

Company name
2
3

Hadida (M. R. Hadida Ltd)

Active 2009

Owner of Hadida Fine Bone China Ltd and James Kent (1989) Ltd. M. R. Hadida Ltd purchased James Kent Ltd in 1989 from Carlton & Kent on the latter’s entry into receivership. They renamed the company James Kent (1989) Ltd. See the entries for Kent (James Kent Ltd) and for Kent (James Kent (1989) Ltd).

Hadida Fine Bone China Ltd

Active 2009

Manufacturer of porcelain bathroom fittings at King St, Stoke-on-Trent.

Hadley (James Hadley & Sons (Ltd))

1896–1905 (Inc. 1900)

Decorator and manufacturer of china and earthenware at Diglis St, Worcester. James Hadley was the principal modeler at the Worcester Royal Porcelain Co. from about 1870, but in 1875 he left the company and established an independent modelling studio in High St, Worcester. Hadley’s ornamental wares were sold almost exclusively to his former employer where they were decorated and on-sold as Worcester porcelains. Royal Worcester terminated this arrangement in 1895 and in September 1897 with partner Frank Littledale, Hadley began the manufacture of porcelain and terracotta wares in competition with the Worcester factory at a new works he constructed at Diglis Rd, Worcester. The business was incorporated in 1900 when Hadley’s four sons joined their father and his partner in the business.

James Hadley died in December 1903 and the company was purchased by Worcester Royal Porcelain Co. in 1905. Manufacture continued at Diglis Road until March 1906 when the equipment and workforce were transferred to Worcester’s Severn St, factory. James Hadley is recognized as perhaps the finest ceramic modeller of the 19th century and, not surprisingly, the Hadley ornamental ware shapes and decorations resemble in many ways the Worcester wares of the same period. Wares may be marked with the Hadley name or a ‘JH&S’ monogram. A printed script mark ‘Hadleys’ above a ribbon bearing the name ‘Worcester England’ was used following the 1901 court case brought by Worcester Royal Porcelain Co. to prevent rivals, including Hadley, using the ‘Worcester’ name to sell their wares.

Hales, Hancock & Godwin, Ltd

1913–1960

Manufacturers’ agent operating from London (until 1941), then from the New Park Works, High St, Longton (until c.1958) and then from the Melbourne Works, King St, Longton. Hales, Hancock & Godwin were the sole UK agents for John Tams & Sons Ltd, Ellgreave Pottery, Ford & Sons (Crownford) Ltd, John Shaw & Sons (Longton), Ltd and other clients. See the entry for British Pottery Ltd.

Hall Bros (Longton) Ltd

1947–1982

Manufacturers of figurines and ornamental wares in bone china at the Radnor Works, Ayshford St, Longton. Hall Bros used the trade names ‘Radnor’ and ‘Royal Prince’ and produced bone china floral porcelain, jewellery, bird studies, figurines, and bone china fancies. Marks of the company include the trade names, but omit the Hall Bros name.

Hamilton Pottery Co.

?–Active 1970

Decorator of bone china and earthenware at the Vale Works, Longton

Hammersley (J. & R. Hammersley)

1877–1917

Manufacturer of china and earthenware at New St, Hanley

Hammersley & Co.

1885–1932

Manufacturer of bone china wares at the Alsager Pottery, Longton. Formerly Harvey Adams & Co (1869-1885). Titus Hammersley was a partner with Harvey Adams and Robert Scrivener in Adams, Scrivener & Co. in the late 1860s. On the dissolution of that partnership in 1869, Harvey Adams and Titus Hammersley continued the concern as Harvey Adams & Co. Titus Hammersley retired in 1872 and George Harris Hammersley continued in partnership with Harvey Adams to circa 1885. George Hammersley was replaced by his brother Gilbert as the business’ principal from c.1885 and the business then traded as Hammersley & Co. Gilbert Hammersley was joined by his sons Eric V. Hammersley in 1910, and by Leslie B. Hammersley in 1919. The business was incorporated and renamed Hammersley & Co. (Longton) Ltd from 1932.

Hammersley was a manufacturer of high quality tableware, especially tea and coffee wares, teapots and fancy china. The post-1885 Hammersley china is of a high quality and includes designs based on popular shapes and decorations pioneered by Ridgway, Davenport and other high class manufacturers. Hammersley & Co. used the trade name ‘Windsor China’. The Hammersley & Co. marks are either impressed or printed. The impressed marks may be restricted to initials—‘H & Co.’, ‘H. & C.’ or ‘H. L.’ (L for Longton), or the full name, and both the initials and the name may surround a crown. The impressed marks are often faint and require careful scrutiny. Numerals under the impressed mark are believed to indicate the year. See the entry for Hammersley & Co. (Longton) Ltd.

Hammersley & Co. (Longton) Ltd.

1932–1974

Manufacturer of bone china at the Alsager Pottery, Barker St, Longton. Formerly Hammersley & Co., the business was incorporated as Hammersley & Co. (Longton) Ltd in 1932. Interestingly, the notice of incorporation lists the owners of the previous business as Helena Hammersley (probably the widow of Gilbert Hammersley) and W. H. Goss. Hammersley family control continued as the directors of the newly incorporated business were Helena M. G. Hammersley, Eric. V. Hammersley and Leslie. B. Hammersley. Eric and Leslie Hammersley are listed in the Pottery Gazette (1951) as the joint managing directors and family control of the business (under Anthony W. Hammersley) continued until June 1970 when the Hammersley business was acquired by the Carborundum Co., the owner of Spode Ltd.

In 1974 the new owners renamed the business Hammersley China Ltd. Like its predecessors, Hammersley & Co. (Longton) Ltd were makers of fine tableware, especially tea and coffee wares, teapots and fancy china. Post-1932 marks include some used earlier by Hammersley & Co. All marks from this period include a crown surrounded by the Company name.

Hammersley China Ltd

1974–1988

Manufacturer of bone china wares at the Alsager Pottery, Longton. Formerly Hammersley & Co. (Longton) Ltd. In June 1970, the Hammersley business was acquired by the Carborundum Co. (UK) Ltd, the owner of Spode Ltd, and in 1974 the business was renamed Hammersley China Ltd. In 1976, the Carborundum Co. merged its Tableware Division (including Spode Ltd, Hammersley and the Windsor Pottery—acquired by Hammersley in 1971 from the Co-operative Wholesale Society—with that of Royal Worcester Ltd to form Royal Worcester Spode Ltd. Hammersley’s Alsager works was closed in 1981 and the Hammersley trade name and production transferred to the Palissy Pottery Ltd, another subsidiary of Royal Worcester–Spode.

The Hammersley branded business was discontinued in 1988 and in 1989 the Hammersley and Palissy names were sold to Aynsley China Ltd. Hammersley were makers of fine tableware, especially tea and coffee wares, teapots and fancy china. The Hammersley China Ltd mark is a crown with oak leaf sprig surrounded by the words ‘Hammersley Fine Bone China’.

Hancock (Sampson Hancock (& Sons))

1858–1935

Manufacturer of earthenware at the Bridge Works, Stoke, and later at the Gordon Works (renamed the Corona Pottery), Hanley. Sampson Hancock potted independently and in various manufacturing partnerships from about 1858 until establishing the business known as Sampson Hancock & Sons in 1891. Sampson Hancock died in 1900 and the business was continued by his three sons Jabez, Harry and Arthur Hancock. From 1935 to 1937 the business traded as S. Hancock & Sons (Potters) Ltd, however, the firm was placed in receivership in March 1937 and subsequently closed.

Sampson Hancock produced domestic and ornamental earthenware, semi-porcelain ware, ironstone china and ivory china, much for export to North America. In the early 20th century crested ware was marketed under the names ‘Duchess China and ‘Corona China’. In the 1920s and 1930s the firm produced ceramic dolls heads and nursery ware. Tube lined ornamental ‘Morris Ware first designed by George Cartlidge was introduced in 1918 emulating the better known Moorcroft designs and this is probably the only collectible Hancock ware. The businesses used the trade names Opaque China, Corona, Royal Corona, Ivory Ware, Reubens Ware and Titian Ware. Early Sampson Hancock marks include a tower. From 1912 the main mark was a crown above a banner containing the company name.

Hancock (Sampson Hancock & Sons (Potters) Ltd.)

1935–1937

Manufacturer of earthenware at the Bridge Works, Stoke, and later at the Gordon Works (renamed the Corona Pottery), Hanley. See the entry for Sampson Hancock & Sons, Ltd.

Hanley China Co.

1899–1901

Manufacturer of transfer printed China at Burton Place, Hanley. Hanley China Co. succeeded the Hanley Porcelain Co. (1892-1899).

Hanover Pottery (Ltd)

1929–1956

Earthenware manufacturer at Woodbank St, Burslem. The business succeeded the Staffs Teapot Co. and made teapots, tea sets, tableware, jugs and other domestic earthenware. Marks include the name ‘Hanover Pottery’. The business closed in 1956.

Harleigh China Co.

Active 1971

Manufacturer of ceramic wall plaques at the Stanley Works, Amison St, Longton.

Harris (Anita Harris Studio Ltd)

2006–Active 2009

Ceramic design studio and pottery established by Anita Harris and Larry Erwin at Fenton, Staffordshire, in 2006. Anita Harris was previously head of design at the Poole Pottery, and a designer at Cobridge Stoneware before its closure in August 2005. The studio produces stoneware and earthenware decorative ware and one-off art pottery using reactive glaze techniques in a style reminiscent of Cobridge Stoneware and Black Ryden. Ceramic artists Janice Tchalenko, Sarah Erwin and Samantha Johnson also work at the studio.

Harrison & Sons (Hanley) Ltd

?–1960s?

Suppliers of materials to the pottery industry. Harrison & Sons (Hanley) Ltd were primarily suppliers of pigments and other materials to the pottery industry. However, under its proprietors Sydney Harrison and son Stanley Harrison, the company acquired ownership of various pottery companies in the 1930s including George Jones & Sons Ltd, Cauldon Potteries Ltd and Coalport China Co. (John Rose & Co.) Ltd. See the entries for the respective companies for further information.

Harrison (Nic Harrison Ceramics)

2006–Active 2009

Nic Harrison established the Trelowarren Pottery at The Lizard, Cornwall, in 1981, following two years at the Leach Pottery, St Ives training under Janet Leach. Harrison’s wares are hand-thrown stoneware and porcelain finished in traditional Celadon and Temoko glazes in the ‘Leach tradition’. He moved to a new studio at Helston, Cornwall in 2006 and has since traded as Nic Harrison Ceramics. See the entry for the Trelowarren Pottery.

Harrop & Burgess

1894–1903

Earthenware manufacturer at the Mount Pleasant Works, Hanley. Subsequently Thomas Burgess.

Hartland Pottery

1972–Active 2009

A studio pottery established by Clive C. Pearson in 1972. The Pottery moved to Hartland, Bideford, Devon, in January 1981. Pearson’s wares are domestic stoneware, including tea and coffee sets, mugs, jugs, bowls and oven-to-tableware. A deep blue Sung Dynasty ‘Chün’ glaze is a speciality of the Pottery.

Hartley Greens & Co. (Leeds Pottery)

1983–Active in 2009

Hartley Greens & Co. is a small producer of decorative Creamware. The original Hartley Greens & Co. ran the Leeds Pottery at Hunslet, Leeds in the 18th and 19th century. They were an important producer of Creamware, but closed in 1878. The current Hartley Greens & Co. was formed in 1983 and operates from the Leeds Pottery, Anchor Rd, Longton. The company produces decorative Creamware mainly in traditional 18th and 19th century ‘Leeds’ shapes.

Hartley’s (Castleford) Ltd

c.1898–1960

Manufacturer of stoneware and earthenware at the Phillips Pottery, Castleford, Yorkshire. The Phillips Pottery was acquired by the Hartley family in 1898 and the business remained family owned until it closed in 1960. Hartley’s were primarily makers of stoneware containers—ovenware, preserve pans, dairy wares and stoneware for the chemical industry. Other lines were bulb bowls, animal feeding bowls, stoneware nest eggs and hot-water bottles. The company also produced art pottery—fancy earthenware—from c.1953 using an earthenware body and hand-painted under-glaze decoration. Jugs, bowls, mugs, vases and the usual fancy earthenware were produced and sold.

Hastings Pottery

1956–1995

A studio Pottery established by Bernard Cotes and Dennis Lucas at Hastings in 1956. The pottery closed in 1995. The Hastings Pottery wares include domestic and ornamental earthenware and stoneware including tableware, jugs, mugs, vases dishes etc. The Pottery used a distinctive impressed mark incorporating the outline of two superimposed fish.

Hawley Bros (Ltd)

1863–1903 (1919)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Northfield Pottery, Hawley (Rotherham), Yorkshire. The business continued as the Northfield Hawley Pottery Co. Ltd until it closed in 1919. Hawley Bros Ltd were manufacturers of transfer printed domestic earthenware. The Hawley companies manufactured mainly for local Yorkshire markets, but also exported wares to North America.

Hawley, Webberley & Co.

1895–1902

Earthenware and majolica manufacturer at the Garfield Works, Longton.

Hazel Ceramics

1990–Active 2009

Manufacturer of ceramic miniatures. Hazel Ceramics was established by Hazel Boyle in 1990 and operates at Billericay, Essex, manufacturing and marketing her finely detailed, hand painted miniature architectural models. Boyle has taken as her main theme the Napoleonic description of Britain as ‘A nation of shopkeepers’ and has produced series models of shop fronts illustrative of historical and architectural styles. There has been a Collectors’ Club since 1994 and the early Boyle models are keenly sought. The models are slip-cast, hand painted and individually signed by Hazel Boyle.

Healacraft Ltd

1946–1980

Pottery importer and distributor, possibly also a manufacturer. Healacraft Ltd was one of three pottery distribution businesses owned by Mr A. T. Godwin (the others being the British Pottery Ltd, and Hales, Hancock & Godwin Ltd). Healacraft Ltd was established in 1946 and operated from the New Park Pottery, Uttoxeter Rd until about 1958 and then from the Melbourne Works, King St, Longton. Healacraft Ltd established a manufacturing subsidiary Crown Trent Ltd in early 1980; however, in July 1980 Healacraft Ltd was placed in receivership. Healacraft was the distributor for the ‘Bursley’ and ‘Radford’ earthenware manufactured by H. J. Wood Ltd, and for Hummelwerk (W. Goebel, Oeslau, West Germany) and other continental manufacturers.

Healacraft China 1980 Ltd

Healacraft International Ltd

(1980–1985), 1985–?

Manufacturer, possibly also a distributor, of bone china at the New Park Works, Longton. Healacraft China 1980 Ltd was established in 1980 when Healacraft Ltd was placed in receivership. The business manufactured bone china teawares and fancy china from 1980 to 1985 and was succeeded by Healacraft International Ltd in 1985 at the same address. Both companies used the trade names ‘Healacraft’, ‘Royal Park’ and ‘Parkhall’. See the entry for Healacraft Ltd for the earlier history.

Heath (J. E. Heath Ltd)

1951–Active 2005

Manufacturer of vitrified hotel ware at the Albert Potteries, Hobson St, Burslem as a member of the Dudson group of companies. Dudson Bros. acquired the Albert Potteries in 1950 and in 1951 established a new hotelware business under the name J. E. Heath Ltd (a company of this name was registered in 1938, but it is not know whether the 1951 company is the same entity). J. E. Heath Ltd manufactures the ‘Armorlite’ and ‘Erica’ brands of vitrified hotel ware.

Heathcote Hall Ltd

Active mid-1970s

Manufacturer of floral china at Heathcote Hall, Sutherland Rd, Longton. Heathcote Hall Ltd was a subsidiary company of Rosina China Co. Ltd. The company was formed in about 1974 and made bone china floral arrangements.

Heatherley Fine China Ltd

1961–?

Manufacturer of vitreous china and porcelain at High St, Houndslow, Middlesex. Heatherley Fine China Ltd produced architectural wares—door handles, humidifiers, and bathroom accessories.

Hele Cross Pottery Co.

1875–1940

Maker of art pottery at Torquay. Also known as the Torquay Pottery. See the entry for Torquay Pottery Ltd.

Heraldic Pottery Ltd

?–Active 2009

Heraldic Pottery Ltd design, print and manufacture promotional and commemorative pottery at the Adderley Works, Sutherland Rd, Longton. Heraldic Pottery Ltd is primarily a designer and printer of decals for pottery decoration and undertakes design, printing and decoration to order. Promotional mugs are the most important ware.

Heredities Ltd

Active 1970s

Manufacturer of creamware animal models at the Justice Hill Pot Works, Aukland St, Burslem. Heredities Ltd, of Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria were manufacturers of limited edition animal models cold-cast in bronze. The company also manufactured similar animal models in a creamware body at its Burslem works. An advertisement for ‘Fine figures in the charm of Creamware’ appeared in Tableware International in 1978 (Vol 8 (3), page 34).

Hereford Fine China Ltd

1974–1981

Maker of limited edition bone china animal models, figurines and hand painted china. Hereford Fine China Ltd was established by Mr Ricky Lewis at Woodlands Studio, Ledbury, Herefordshire in July 1974. Mr Lewis was a ceramic designer and artist formerly associated with Royal Worcester, Cranleigh Art Ceramics and Boehm of Malvern Ltd. The business closed in 1981 when Mr Lewis moved to New Zealand where he established a subsidiary, Hereford Fine China (Australasia) Ltd.

Hereford Fine China Ltd produced bone china commemoratives and limited editions (often as few as 250) for the sophisticated collector. Most were sold in the United Kingdom and series included bird and animal studies, equestrian and canine models, endangered species, flowers, and military, child and historical figurines. Hand painted porcelain plaques of flowers, birds, fruit and landscapes were also produced.

Heron (Robert Heron (& Son))

1850–1929

Earthenware manufacturer at the Gallatown Pottery, Sinclairtown, Kirkcaldy, Scotland. Robert Heron took over the Gallatown Pottery (Fife Pottery) in about 1850. Heron traded under his own name and later as Robert Heron & Son until the business closed in 1929. Robert Heron & Sons is known for the white, hand-painted earthenware designed by Karel Nekola and known as ‘Wemyss (pronounced ‘weems’) Ware’. For the later history of Wemyss Ware, see the entries for the Bovey Pottery Co. Ltd, and Hill (Griselda Hill Pottery).

Heron Fine China

1979–Active 2009

Heron Fine China, Chiltern St, Heron Cross, Fenton was established in 1979 by John Evans and manufactures porcelain giftware, including religious and commemorative wares.

Heron Cross Pottery

?–Active 2005

Manufacturer of bone china miniatures at Hines St, Stoke. Products include tea and coffee ware, floral porcelain bowls, vases, jars etc all made in miniature.

Hewitt Bros

1920–c.1926

China manufacturer at the Old Willow Pottery, Longton. Hewitt Bros succeeded the partnership founded in 1907 (1905?) by brothers-in-law Arthur Hewitt and Edwin Leadbeater. Leadbeater left the partnership in 1919 and the business then traded as Hewitt Bros under the control of Arthur Hewitt’s sons Arthur Edward Hewitt and Joseph Hewitt until the business was acquired by H. T. Robinson in about 1926.

Hewitt & Leadbeater and Hewitt Bros. were important manufacturers of crested china miniatures and view ware for the souvenir trade using the ‘Willow Art’ trade name. Of note are the sympathetically reproduced models of historical buildings, statues and monuments made by the two businesses. Trade marks usually included a willow tree and the ‘Willow Art’ name. H. T. Robinson formed a new company Willow Potteries Ltd operating under the Cauldon Potteries Ltd umbrella and continued to use the ‘Willow’ name, trade mark and moulds in association with his Arkinstall (Arcadian) and Goss crested china businesses. See also the entry for Arkinstall Ltd.

Hewitt (J. Hewitt & Son (Fenton) Ltd)

?–Post-1980

Manufacturer of industrial ceramics at Fenton. The business was founded by Joseph Hewitt, but was later owned by a Mr J. Ray. Arthur Edward Hewitt, grandson of the founder, repurchased the business in 1922 in partnership with Harold J. Plant. The company was still active in 1980 under the management of the Hewitt family. J. Hewitt & Son (Fenton) Ltd made kiln hardware, industrial ceramics, and heating and cooking appliances.

Hewitt & Leadbeater

1907 (1905?)–1919

Manufacturer of Parian ware and china at the Old Willow Pottery, Longton. See the entry for Hewitt Bros.

Highbank Pottery Ltd

Highbank Porcelain Ltd

(1981–1984), 1984–Active 2001

Manufacturer of hard-paste porcelain at Highbank Park, Lochgilphead, Argyll, Scotland. Formerly the Highbank Pottery Ltd (1981-1984). Highbank produces ornamental porcelain, vases, animal models and general giftware.

Highland China (Scotland) Ltd

1981–Active 2005

Manufacturer of earthenware and bone china at Kingussie, Invernesshire, Scotland. Formerly Castlewynd Studios (Highland China) Ltd (1974-1981). Highland China produces vases, giftware, mugs, commemorative items etc, mainly with a Scottish theme.

Highland Stoneware Ltd

1974–Active 2009

Stoneware manufacturer at Lochinver, Sutherland and at the Ullapool Pottery, Mill St, Ullapool, Western Ross. Founded in 1974 at the Royal College of Art, London, by David Grant, Graham Clarke and the Marquess of Queensbury, Highland Stoneware manufactures high-fired, freehand-painted ceramics including tableware, kitchen and cookware, giftware, limited editions and decorative tiles. All wares are hand-made and freehand painted or decorated using sponge, sgraffito or wax resist techniques.

Hill (Griselda Hill Pottery)

1985–Active 2009

Manufacturer of art pottery at Ceres, Fife, Scotland. The Griselda Hill Pottery specialises in producing ‘Wemyss Ware’ using the same techniques and styles as the original Wemyss Ware manufactured in Fife by Robert Heron & Son (c.1882-1930) and at the Bovey Pottery, Devon (1930-1957). In 1994 Griselda Hill acquired the rights to the Wemyss name and trade mark from Royal Doulton and recommenced manufacture of Wemyss Ware at her pottery in Ceres, Fife. Griselda Hill Pottery produces animal models, souvenir pottery, domestic earthenware, miniatures and tiles, much decorated in the unique Wemyss style. The Pottery is now also known by the name Wemyss Ware Studio.

Hill & Co.

1898–1920

China manufacturer at the St James Works (to c.1907) and then at the Windsor China Works, Longton. This short-lived company produced some elaborately decorated china teawares. The trade mark was a printed silhouette of Windsor Castle over the initials ‘H & Co.’.

Hines Brothers

1886–1907

Earthenware manufacturer at the Heron Cross Pottery, Fenton. The business was acquired by Grimwades Ltd in 1907.

Hobson (George Hobson)

1901–1923

Earthenware manufacturer at the Sneyd Pottery, Burslem. The business was formerly styled G. & J. Hobson (1883-1901).

Holborn Tableware Co. Ltd

Active 1970s.

Pottery importer and distributor at Hatton Garden, London. Holborn Tableware Co. Ltd was the agent for many European ceramics manufacturers including Furstenburg, Silit, Schramberger, Meissen etc. The company also imported cutlery and glassware.

Holdcroft (Joseph Holdcroft)

Holdcrofts Ltd

(1865–1906), 1906–1939

Earthenware manufacturer at the Sutherland Pottery, Longton. Founded as Joseph Holdcroft (1865–1906), the business was incorporated in 1906 and then traded as Holdcrofts Ltd. The business was taken over by Cartwright & Edwards Ltd in 1939 and closed in the same year.

Holding Bros

?–Active 1970

Earthenware manufacturer specialising in garden pottery—flower jugs and vases, garden ornaments, pots etc. at Oswaldtwistle, Accrington, Lancashire.

Holkham Studio Pottery

Holkham Pottery Ltd

(1951-1961), 1961–2007

Manufacturer of handcrafted earthenware at Holkham Hall, Wells, Norfolk. Formerly Holkham Studio Pottery. The Pottery was started by the Countess of Leicester in 1951 in outbuildings at the historic Holkham Hall. In 1972 the Pottery took over the lease of the Hall, expanding the Pottery and associated visitor facilities. The Pottery closed in September 2007. Holkham Pottery produced tableware, teapots, jugs, mugs, table accessories, florist’s accessories, lamp bases and giftware such as piggybanks and souvenir figures. In the 1970s the pottery produced the stylish ‘Elizabeth’ coffee service catering to contemporary tastes.

Holland (Fishley Holland Pottery)

c.1921–?

A studio pottery established by William Fishley Holland at Clevedon, Somerset in about 1921.

Hollinshead & Griffiths

1890–1909

Earthenware manufacturer at the Chelsea Works, Burslem. Producer of art pottery under the style ‘Chelsea Art Ware’.

Hollinshead & Kirkham (Ltd)

1870–1956

Manufacturer of earthenware at the Unicorn Pottery, Great Woodland St, Tunstall (from 1890). The Hollinshead & Kirkham partnership was formed in about 1870 and moved to the Unicorn Pottery in 1890, taking over the premises from Wedgwood & Co. The company was bought by Johnson Bros in 1956. Generally known by its initials ‘H&K’ and location ‘Tunstall’ printed on wares, the business produced hospital, hotel and domestic earthenware.

Most of the 20th century Hollinshead & Kirkham wares are utilitarian and of limited interest, however the company produced hand painted ‘fruit’ tableware on art deco shapes during the 1930s. With pattern names like ‘Luscious’ and ‘Autumn’ these attractive wares mimic the Worcester fruit painted wares and have even been called ‘the poor man’s Royal Worcester’. The business used the trade name ‘Holkirk Ware’. The more mundane wares are usually marked only with the initials ‘H&K’ and the word ‘Tunstall’. A rampant unicorn and the name or initials occur in other marks.

Holmes & Son

1898–1903

Earthenware manufacturer at the Clayton Pottery, Longton.

Honiton Pottery (Ltd)

c.1881–1997

Manufacturer of art pottery, ornamental ware and domestic pottery at Honiton, Devon. Ellis Forster and William Hunt purchased an existing pottery at Honiton from James Webber in the 1890s and produced domestic wares in addition to the traditional slip decorated pottery and motto ware usually produced by the small Devon potteries. The pottery was sold to Charles Collard in about 1918 and he remained as its owner, and source of inspiration, until the factory closed in c.1939 due to war time restrictions.

The pottery re-opened in 1945, but Collard retired in 1947 selling the pottery to Norman Hull and Harry Barrett who registered the name Honiton Art Potteries Ltd. In practice, however, the business continued to be know as the ‘Honiton Pottery’. Harry Barrett quickly sold his interest to the Chapplow family and Hull and Chapplow managed the pottery until 1961 when control passed to Paul and Jennifer Redvers. The pottery closed in 1997 when the Redvers sold the site, but the name was acquired by the Dartmouth Pottery and Honiton-type wares were then produced at the Dartmouth Pottery.

The Pottery produced mainly typical ‘Devon Wares’, teaware, fancy earthenware, giftware, lamp bases, vases, jugs etc using a range of decorating techniques. Some ‘in-glaze’ decoration reminiscent of Poole Pottery was produced in the 1960s. Honiton wares from the Collard period (1918-1947) include Dorset motto wares, art deco wares and the Persian-inspired ‘Isnik’ decorated wares that were one of Collard’s enduring interests. Wares from the Collard period are highly collectible. See the entries for the Crown Dorset Pottery and for Aller Vale Art Pottery for further information on Charles Collard.

Hoods Ltd.

1919–1942

Earthenware manufacturer at the International Works, Fenton. Hoods were mainly manufacturers of industrial ceramics.

Hornsea Pottery Co. Ltd.

c.1951–2000

Earthenware manufacturer at the Edenfield Works, Hornsea, Yorkshire and later at Lancaster. The pottery was founded by the brothers Desmond and Colin Rawson in 1949 and operated from domestic buildings in Hornsea until about 1954 when the expanding business moved to the Edenfield Works. A second, larger factory was constructed in Lancaster in 1970 and operated until 1985. The business had financial problems in the early 1980s and was eventually purchased by the clothing group Alexon in 1984 and then by the Yorkshire-based homewares company Peter Black Holdings in 1985. The Lancaster factory was closed in 1985 and the original pottery at Hornsea in 2000.

Hornsea employed leading designers including John Clappison and Martin Hunt and the wares are remarkably diverse including ornamental ware, tableware, kitchenware, animal figures, accessories and novelties. The Hornsea wares are now widely collected.

Hostess Tableware Ltd

1970–1973 (1982?)

Manufacturer of bone china at the Cobden Works, Longton and earthenware at the Anchor Pottery, Anchor Rd, Longton. Hostess Tableware was originally a trade name of the British Anchor Pottery Co. Ltd. The British Anchor Pottery’s owners acquired control of Thomas Poole & Gladstone China Ltd (TPGC Ltd) in June 1970 and folded their British Anchor business into the acquisition. TPGC Ltd adopted its new owner’s Hostess Tableware brand, registering the name as Hostess Tableware Ltd and using it as the umbrella for the group’s pottery interests including British Anchor earthenware and Royal Stafford bone china. New designs were commissioned for Royal Stafford bone china from John Russell Designs of Stoke to complement those Russell had already created for earthenware produced by British Anchor.

In 1973 TPGC Ltd sold Hostess Tableware Ltd to Alfred Clough Ltd and Hostess Tableware Ltd became a member of the Clough Group. The business was subsequently part of Grindley of Stoke (Ceramics) Ltd, but closed in 1982 when the Grindley businesses were dispersed. British Anchor’s Anchor Rd Works were eventually sold to Churchill China and are still in use. Hostess Tableware Ltd manufactured good quality domestic earthenware and bone china; the latter marketed under the widely known Royal Stafford trade name. See the entries for British Anchor Pottery Co. Ltd, Thomas Poole & Gladstone China Ltd and Clough (Alfred Clough Ltd).

Howard Pottery Group

?–1974

Companies associated with the Howard Pottery Co. Ltd were known as the Howard Pottery Group. See the entry for the Howard Pottery Co. (Ltd).

Howard Pottery Co. (Ltd)

1925–1974

Manufacturer of general domestic and ornamental earthenware at Norfolk St, Shelton. In the early 1970s the Howard Pottery acquired the Norfolk Pottery Co. Ltd, Gibson & Sons Ltd, Beverley Tableware Ltd and Grimwades Ltd owners of the ‘Royal Winton’ name. The Howard Pottery was purchased by Taunton Vale Industries in 1974. The Howard Pottery produced domestic earthenware—teapots, coffee sets, fancy tableware, oven ware, oven-to-table ware, kitchenware and ornamental pottery, the latter under the ‘Brentleigh Ware’ name. See the entry for Taunton Vale Industries for the subsequent history of the Howard Group companies.

Hudson (William Hudson (& Co.))

  1. 1889–1941

Manufacturer of bone china at the Alma Works and, from c.1892, the Sutherland Works, Longton. Formerly a partnership between Joseph H. Middleton and William Hudson (1870–1889) at the Alma Works, the partners separated and William Hudson continued on his own account moving to the Sutherland Works in c.1892. At some point, control of the Hudson business passed to his son-in-law George Edwin Barlow and (his brother?) Thomas George Barlow. In 1941 the business of J. H. Middleton & Co. (owned by the Barlow and Chapman families) was moved to the Sutherland Works of William Hudson under the wartime Concentration Scheme, and the principals combined the two businesses as Hudson & Middleton Ltd.

William Hudson & Co. manufactured good quality tea and tableware using the ‘Sutherland China’ trade name. The mark (from c.1936) was a lion rampant below the well known trade name ‘Sutherland China’. See the entries for Middleton (J. H. Middleton & Co.) and Hudson & Middleton Ltd for additional information.

Hudson & Middleton Ltd (I).

1941–1975

Manufacturer of bone china and earthenware at the Sutherland Works, Normacot Rd, Longton. Hudson & Middleton Ltd was established in 1941 through the amalgamation of two businesses owned by the Barlow and Chapman families and trading as ‘William Hudson & Co’ and ‘J. H. Middleton & Co.’. From the 1950s the business was run by fathers and sons Eric Vardon Chapman and George E. V. Chapman, and Eric Hudson Barlow and Grenville Barlow. Family control ceased in 1972 when the business was sold to Barker Ellis Silver Co. Ltd of Birmingham, a division of Pentos Ltd of London. Barker Ellis continued the business under the Hudson & Middleton name. Production of earthenware at the Sutherland Works ceased in 1974 and in mid-1975 Barker Ellis transferred the production of domestic bone china from the Sutherland Works to the modernised Jon Anton Ltd factory purchased by Barker Ellis in 1974.

The residual Hudson & Middleton Ltd business including the Sutherland Works was placed on the market in mid-1975 and sold to new owners including the former managing director George Fairweather. The new business operated as Hudson & Middleton (Longton) Ltd.

Hudson & Middleton Ltd were important manufacturers of domestic earthenware and bone china wares including tea and tableware, floral china, ornamental china and bone china mugs. Trade names included Delphine China (to c.1947), Sutherland China, Royal Sutherland, and Royal Kendal. From 1941-47, the company continued use of the marks of the predecessor companies. Post-1947 the Hudson & Middleton Ltd mark was a lion rampant flanked by the letters ‘H’ and ‘M’.

Hudson & Middleton (Longton) Ltd

1975–1982

Manufacturer of bone china at the Sutherland Works, Normacot Rd, Longton. Barker Ellis Silver Co. Ltd of Birmingham closed their ‘Hudson & Middleton Ltd’ business in July 1975 after transferring bone china production to their Jon Anton factory. The ‘Hudson & Middleton’ name and assets were purchased by interests including George Fairweather, the former managing director, and production re-commenced at the Sutherland Work under the name Hudson & Middleton (Longton) Ltd.

In 1982 Jesse Shirley & Son Ltd, suppliers of clay and other materials to the pottery industry, assumed control of the Hudson & Middleton (Longton) Ltd business. Hudson & Middleton (Longton) Ltd manufactured tableware and giftware using the trade names Hudson & Middleton and Royal Kendal. See the entry for Hudson & Middleton Ltd (II).

Hudson & Middleton Ltd (II).

1982–2009

Manufacturer of bone china mugs and giftware at the Sutherland Works, Normacot Rd, Longton. In 1982 Jesse Shirley Ltd acquired Hudson & Middleton (Longton) Ltd. The shortened name ‘Hudson & Middleton Ltd’ appears in an advertisement in Tableware International in 1986 (Vol 16, p33) and was presumably a return to historical usage by the new owners.

Hudson & Middleton Ltd and its sister company Jesse Shirley & Son Ltd were placed in administration in January 2009 following the collapse of Waterford-Wedgwood plc, Jesse Shirley’s major customer for clay products. A management buyout of the Hudson & Middleton Ltd business followed and a new company, Hudsons Fine Bone China Ltd, was established to hold the Hudson & Middleton assets.

Hudson & Middleton Ltd were designers and manufacturers of bone china mugs, including a novel mug/teapot combination, and commemorative items. Trade names used include ‘Hudson Middleton’ and ‘Royal Kendal’. See the entries for Hudson & Middleton (Longton) Ltd, Shirley (Jesse Shirley & Son Ltd), and Hudsons Fine Bone China Ltd.

Hudsons Fine Bone China Ltd

2009–

Manufacturer of bone china mugs and giftware at the Sutherland Works, Normacot Rd, Longton. Hudsons Fine Bone China Ltd was formed in February 2009 as part of a management buyout of the failed Hudson & Middleton Ltd business. Directors included former Hudson & Middleton executives Michael Deaville and Helen Smith. The new company assumed control of the former company’s assets, including the historic Sutherland Works and is continuing to manufacture the same range of products using the Hudson & Middleton and Royal Kendal trade names, albeit with a smaller workforce.

Huggett (Barry Huggett)

?–2005 (?)

A studio potter at Cocks Hill, Perranporth, Cornwall. Barry Huggett was formerly head potter at Lakes’s (Cornish) Pottery, Truro, and later worked at the Caron Downs Pottery. Barry Huggett specialises in individual hand-thrown art wares using salt and soda-based glazes. Huggett has not been active as a studio potter since c.2005.

Hughes (Thomas Hughes & Son (Ltd))

1895–1957

Manufacturer of earthenware and china at the Unicorn Works, Longport.  Thomas Hughes & Sons succeeded a former Thomas Hughes business in about 1894. The business was incorporated in about 1910 and it then remained in the control of the Hughes family until it ceased trading in 1957. The Unicorn Pottery was taken over by Arthur Wood & Sons (Longport) Ltd the other occupant of the historic Davenport Works site.  The Hughes products were mainly transfer printed domestic earthenware and ironstones, but the firm also produced bone china tableware and sanitary pottery.

John Hughes Ceramics

Active early-1970s

John Hughes Ceramics of Broadway, Pontypridd, produced handmade grotesque ceramic animal miniatures under the name ‘Groggs’.

Hughes (E. Hughes & Co)

Hughes (Fenton) Ltd.

(1889–1940), 1941–1953

China manufacturer at the Opal China Works, Fenton. The Hughes business was established by Edward Hughes in 1889 and traded as E. Hughes & Co. until December 1939 when the name was changed to Hughes (Fenton) Ltd.  The works were closed in 1941 under war time controls, but the firm reopened in 1946.  The business was acquired by Lawleys Limited in 1948, but continuing to produced china tableware as part of the Lawley group of companies until about 1953. Hughes produced good quality china tablewares for the middle of the market under the ‘Fenton China’ and ‘Eusancos China’ trade names.  The quality of the Hughes wares is probably under-appreciated.

Hull (Andrew Hull Pottery Ltd)

2007Active 2009

Art pottery studio established by Andrew Hull in June 2007 at Burslem. Sculptor and modeler Andrew Hull established the pottery after severing his connection with the Burslem Pottery. Hull had worked for Cobridge Stoneware Ltd and then for the Burslem Pottery modeling ‘grotesque’ animal models in the style of the Victorian era Martin brothers.  The Hull pottery’s first model, ‘Wallace’, a grotesque bird, was released in May 2008 as a limited edition of 65, each piece priced at £395.  See the entry for the Burslem Pottery for more information on Andrew Hull.

Henry Hulme & Sons

1906–1932

Earthenware manufacturer at the Garfield Pottery, Burslem, formerly Wood & Hulme (1882-1905).

Hulme (William Hulme)

1948–1954

Earthenware manufacturer at the Argyle Works, Cobridge.  Owned by the Leighton Pottery Ltd

Hulme (William Hulme (Burslem) Ltd)

1891–1941

Earthenware manufacturer at the Wedgwood Works, Burslem. The business first traded as William Hulme (1891 to c.1925) and then as William Hulme (Burslem) Ltd (Godden 1988). Production ceased and the factory was closed in 1941 under the wartime Concentration Scheme and the business concentrated with that of John Beswick Ltd at the Gold St Works, Longton.  The business appears not to have reopened at the end of the Second World War.

Hulme & Christie

1893–1902

Earthenware manufacturer at the Sutherland Pottery, Fenton. The partnership was dissolved in 1902 and Christie continued the business with Frank Beardmore trading as Christie and Beardmore. F. Beardmore & Co. continued the business from 1903.

Humphris (Paula Humphris)

1970s–1994

Maker of hand-made ceramic figurines, usually with a historical theme (knights & ladies on horseback).