Dalton – Durham

Scroll to locate a company on the list, click to view.

Dalton Pottery

1982–Active 2009

A studio pottery established in about 1982 at Meikle Dyke, Dalton, Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire, by Geoffrey and Jenny Finch. The pottery produces giftware, undertakes special commissions, and manufactures personalised ceramic item on request.

Dart Pottery

1975–Active 2009

See the entry below for the Dartington Pottery.

Dartington Pottery (Dart Pottery)

(1932) 1975–2005

The Dartington Pottery Workshop was established in 1975 by David Leach as a community workshop at Shinners Bridge, Dartington, Devon. The Workshop continued a pottery craft training tradition begun when Bernard Leach established a craft workshop in a quarry at Shinners Bridge in 1932. Bernard Forrester and David Leach were important potters and teachers in the early years of the workshop and they were followed in 1947 by Sam Haile and Marianne de Trey – the latter only leaving the pottery in 1983.

Ownership of the pottery, known as the Dartington or Dart Pottery, changed in 1984 when it was purchased by Peter Cook, Stephen Course and Peter Hazell. The pottery was later owned by Stephen Course and Sue Cook until their retirement and closure of the pottery in December 2005. Dartington wares have continued to be available through the Grayschott Pottery with which Stephen Course continues to be associated.

Throughout its life, the Dartington Pottery attracted leading potters and ceramic designers, the best known of which is probably Janice Tchalenko. Dartington products include tableware, and ornamental and art pottery, using in-house and external designers. The pottery was always an important centre for the training of studio potters. The Pottery mark is an impressed ‘DP’.

Dartmouth Pottery, Ltd

1947–2002

Earthenware manufacturer at Warfleet, Dartmouth, Devon. The Dartmouth Pottery Ltd was established by a Mr Howard Koppenhagen and partners in 1947 to produce giftware and typical Devon cottage wares for the tourist trade. The Dartmouth Pottery has since produced tableware, vases, planters and other general and ornamental earthenware in addition to its cottage wares. Dartmouth acquired the ‘Honiton Pottery’ name when the latter business closed in 1977 and Honiton-style wares were subsequently produced. The Dartmouth Pottery was itself acquired by Samuel Heath & Sons Ltd, a Birmingham-based manufacturer of brassware, in 1981. The Pottery closed in 2002 and the historic building has been converted to apartments.

Davenport Pottery Co. Ltd

?–?

Pottery wholesaler and distributor at Wheildon Rd, Stoke. The Davenport Pottery Co. was a subsidiary of Arthur Wood & Son (Longport) Ltd used for the disposal of seconds from the Arthur Wood Group companies. The Davenport name refers to the location of the Arthur Wood Group factories on the site of the old Davenport Works at Longport. Active in the mid-1960s.

Davidson (Barbara Davidson Pottery)

1969–Active 2009

A studio pottery established at Larbert, Scotland by Barbara Davidson in 1969 (also known as the Larbert Pottery). Barbara Davidson has produced tableware and art pottery at Larbert for over 30 years in addition to designing for other manufacturers. She continues to produce individual pieces and undertake special commissions. In addition to pottery, Barbara Davidson is well known for ceramic murals incorporated into both public and private buildings.

Davis (Peggy Davis Ceramics)

1981–Active 2009

Peggy Davis Ceramics was founded by Peggy Davis and son Rhodi Davis in 1981 at Longnor, Staffordshire. Peggy Davis had been a leading modeller for Royal Doulton and the new business manufactured figurines and Toby Jugs from a workshop on the family farm. Peggy David died in 1989 and in the same year the business moved to Wellington Rd, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, under the management of Rhodi Davis.

From 1987 the business designed and modelled collectors’ edition Toby jugs and figurines for Kevin Francis Ceramics and in 1993 took over management of the UK part of the Kevin Francis business. The Kevin Francis Ceramics backstamp was used from c.1987 until about 2006 when it was replaced by a Peggy Davis Ceramics mark. Since 2006 the Peggy Davis Ceramics offering has included figurines—many in Art Deco style, a series of ‘Pop Legends’ busts and character jugs, and various prestige pieces. See also the entry for Francis (Kevin Francis Ceramics).

Davison & Son (Ltd)

c.1898–1952

Earthenware manufacturer at the Bleak Hill Works, Burslem. The business was acquired by Swinnertons Ltd in 1952. Davison & Son Ltd manufactured general domestic earthenware and the company’s mark was a shield with the company name and a portrait of the ‘Bleak Hills’.

Deacon Pottery

1956–?

A studio pottery established by Anthony Deacon and Alan Brough in London in 1956. Brough later left the pottery in 1968 to work with Bernard Leach at St. Ives.

Dean (S. W. Dean)

Deans (1910) Ltd

(1871–1910), 1910–1919

Earthenware manufacturer at the Newport Pottery, Burslem. Formerly S. W. Dean (1871–1910). From 1910 to its closure in 1919, the business traded as Deans (1910) Ltd.

Dean (Thomas Dean & Sons (Ltd))

c.1789–1947 (Inc. 1934)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Black Works, Tunstall. The business was incorporated as a private company as Thomas Dean & Sons Ltd in 1934 under the management of Thomas Dean and other members of the Dean family. Thomas Dean & Sons Ltd produced teapots, teaware and general earthenware. Godden (1991) notes that from 1947 to 1952 the business continued at the Adderley Teapot Works.

Decoro Pottery Co.

1936?–1949

Manufacturer of ornamental earthenware and art pottery at the Tuscan Works, Longton. R. H. & S. L. Plant acquired the ‘Decoro’ name in about 1936 on the closure of the Canning Pottery Co. with which they had been associated. The Decoro Pottery Co. continued to produce art wares as a subsidiary of R. H. & S. L. Plant Ltd until its closure in 1949. The words ‘Decoro’ or ‘Tuscan Decoro Pottery’ appear in the trade marks. See the entry for Canning Pottery Co.

Della Robbia Pottery

1894–1906

A pottery established in 1894 by Conrad Dressler and Harold Rathbone at Birkenhead, Liverpool. Dressler left in 1897 and was replaced as a partner by Carlo Manzoni. The pottery was intended to be a maker of tiles and architectural wares, but became famous for its art pottery, now highly collectible.

Denbyware Ltd

1970–1981

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at Denby, Derbyshire. Formerly Joseph Bourne & Son Ltd. The long-lived Joseph Bourne & Son Ltd (established c.1809) converted to public ownership and listed on the London Stock Exchange in March 1970, adopting the new name Denbyware Ltd for the public company. Joseph Bourne & Sons Ltd, Langley Pottery Ltd and Millard-Norman Co. (a USA-based distribution company) operated as subsidiaries of Denbyware Ltd. The Crown House Group, an engineering group and owners of glassware manufacturers Edinburgh Crystal, Thomas Webb Crystal and Dema Glass acquired an interest in Denbyware Ltd in the mid-1970s and after an extended period of uncertainty gained control in 1981, renaming the business Denby Tableware Ltd.

In the 1970s as Denbyware Ltd, the company continued to produce the highly successful tableware manufactured by its predecessor in the 1960s. Oven-to-table ware was an important new product in the 1970s and the company greatly expanded its presence in the North American market. See the entries for Bourne (Joseph Bourne & Son Ltd) and Denby Tableware Ltd.

Denby Tableware Ltd

1981–1990

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at Denby, Derbyshire. Formerly Denbyware Ltd. Crown House Group acquired the whole shareholding of Denbyware Ltd in 1981 and renamed the company Denby Tableware Ltd. Six years later, in May 1987, Crown House sold the business to the Coloroll Homewares Group, a Manchester-based manufacturer and retailer of wallpaper, textiles and homeware. As part of the Coloroll Ceramics Division, the company traded under the names Coloroll Tableware Ltd (Denby Tableware Division) and Coloroll-Denby Tableware. Coloroll went into receivership in June 1990 and Denby Tableware Ltd was purchased from the receiver by its management led by managing director Stephen Riley with backing from a private investment company. Riley and his management team invested £155,000 for a 55% stake in the new company named Denby Pottery Co. Ltd. Under the ownership of Crown House and Coloroll, Denby manufactured its traditional tableware, oven-to-table ware, giftware and lighting products.

Denby Pottery Co. Ltd

1990–Active 2009

Manufacturer of earthenware and stoneware at Denby, Derbyshire. Formerly Denby Tableware Ltd, the business was purchased by its management in 1990 after Coloroll Homewares Group was placed in receivership. The new company, Denby Pottery Co. Ltd, converted to a public listed company in 1994. In 1995 Denby purchased Wren Giftware Ltd, a Stoke-on-Trent manufacturer of bone china mugs, however the venture was unsuccessful and Wren was sold to the Churchill Group in 1998 for substantially less than its purchase price. In 1999 there was another management buyout and the business returned to private ownership with the operating company, Denby Pottery Co. Ltd, becoming a subsidiary of a new holding company Denby Group plc.

There have been further ownership change and in March 2009 a management-led investor group, including managing director Garry Biggs, acquired Denby Pottery Company Ltd in a leveraged buyout. In the 1990s Denby was a successful manufacturer of high quality casual tableware and giftware.

Denby Group plc

1999–2009?

Denby Group plc was the holding company for the ‘Denby Group’ following a 1999 management buy-out of the listed Denby Pottery Co. Ltd. Subsidiaries included the manufacturing arm Denby Pottery Co. Ltd, and Denby USA Ltd, a North American distribution arm. A further management buy-out of Denby Pottery Co. Ltd occurred in March 2009.

Dennis China Works

1985–Active 2009

An art pottery at Ilminster, Somerset. The Dennis Chinaworks was established in 1985 by Sally Tuffin and Richard Dennis. In the following year Richard Dennis purchased an interest in the famous Moorcroft factory and it was not until this interest was sold in 1992 that the owner’s time could be devoted to the Dennis China Works. Production began in 1993 producing Sally Tuffin’s unique designs. The Pottery produces hand thrown and hand decorated ornamental pottery using tube lining and other surface relief techniques highlighted by brilliant glazes. The designs draw on the heritage of the Arts and Crafts movement and Art Nouveau themes. Sally Tuffin’s pottery has become highly collectible even given the short time the Pottery has been in existence.

Dennis (Fenton) Ltd

?–1940s?

Earthenware (?) manufacturer at the Alexandra Pottery, Fenton. Active in the 1940s.

Denton China (Longton) Ltd

1945–1968

Manufacturer of bone china figurines and china jewellery at Upper Normacot Rd, Longton. Denton China was established in 1945 by Mr H. Lawson, formerly a pottery decorator and wholesaler. Lawson died in 1949, but the business was continued by Mrs D. M. Lawson until sold to John Aynsley & Sons Ltd in December 1968. Denton China was exclusively a manufacturer of ‘fancies’—hand made bone china floral arrangements in wicker baskets and bowls, birds, brooches, ear rings, china jewellery and the like. Production of Denton floral china was discontinued by Aynsley in September 1969 and replaced by a new range of bone china floral wares marketed under the Aynsley brand.

Derby Crown Porcelain Company Ltd

1876–1890

Manufacturer of bone china at Omaston Rd, Derby. See the entry for Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Co. Ltd.

Deron Potteries

c.1972–?

Manufacturer and distributor of hand painted children’s ware and figurines produced by designer Peggy Foy. Deron Potteries (possibly later called Deron Manufacturing) acquired the pottery business established by Peggy Foy, retaining the former owner as consultant designer. The business made childrens’ wares such as nightlights, musical pottery, and figurines.

Devonmoor Art Pottery, Ltd

(c.1913), 1922–Early-1980s

Earthenware manufacturer at Liverton, Newton Abbot, Devon. Formerly the Liverton Art Pottery which occupied the Liverton site from c.1913 until its closure in 1922. The Pottery was re-opened in 1922 by Herford Hope as the Devonmoor Art Pottery Ltd and following Hope’s death in 1941 the Pottery was managed by his son Roger Hope. Post-1945 the Pottery continued to produce its ornamental earthenware, but lacklustre design and falling demand led to its decline and eventual closure in the early-1980s.

The Devonmoor Art Pottery wares included domestic and ornamental earthenware and art pottery. Wares included Toby jugs, typical ‘Devon wares’, grotesques, vases, beakers, jugs, mugs etc. Some of the Devonmoor art wares are of note. A series of fourteen miniature cottages were advertised in the Pottery Gazette in 1958 (Vol 83, page 78). Wares are inscribed or impressed with the Devonmoor name.

Devonshire Potteries Ltd

1947–?

Earthenware manufacturer at Bovey Tracey, Newton Abbott, Devon. Devonshire Potteries Ltd products included animal models, vases, jardinieres, money boxes etc. The company used the trade name ‘Trentham Art Ware’.

Dewes & Copestake

1894–1915

Earthenware manufacturer at the Viaduct Works, Longton.

Diamond Tile Co. Ltd

?–Active 1945

Earthenware manufacturer at Brooke St, Hanley. Specialised manufacturer of dolls and dolls heads, possibly also tiles and other goods. Active 1945.

Diamond Pottery Co. (Ltd)

1908–1935

Earthenware manufacturer at the Diamond Pottery, Hanley. The business was formerly known as the Pearl Pottery Co.

Diane Pottery Co.

1960–?

China manufacturer at the Heathcote Works, Longton. The company also produced floral china.

Dicker Pottery

Dicker Potteries Ltd

(1843–1946), 1946–1957

Earthenware manufacturer at Lower Dicker, Hailsham, Sussex. The Dicker Pottery was established by Uriah Clark in 1843, and Clark ran the Pottery until his death in 1904. In 1912 Dicker merged with the neighbouring Boship Green Pottery owned by William Bridges and the business became known as Uriah Clark and Nephew Limited. The pottery nearly failed during the First World War, but in the 1920s and 1930s it flourished under the management of Sydney Harte producing art ware sold to the tourist trade. The business closed during the Second World War and although it re-opened under new management, it did not regain its former prominence. From 1946 until its closure in 1957 (1959?) the business traded as Dicker Potteries Ltd.

Dicker art wares are best known for black lustre ware produced using a high-lead glaze. Sydney Harte experimented with glaze effects and although the Dicker shapes are traditional, there are interesting wares with orange, blue and turquoise matt glazes. Dicker wares are marked with an impressed ‘DICKER WARE SUSSEX’.

Dilford Pottery

?–?

A studio pottery established by a Mr S. Dillon, date and place unknown. Mr Dillon produced a small number of animal, bird and cottage models from original moulds made by the artist Jessica van Hallen, formerly a modeller for Wade.

Dimmock (J. Dimmock & Co.)

1862–1904

Earthenware manufacturer at the Albion Works, Hanley. The company was owned by a W. D. Cliff from about 1878 and this name appears in pottery marks for this period.

Dinky Art Pottery Co. Ltd

1931–1947

Earthenware manufacturer at the Ruby Works, Longton.

Dixon (R. F. Dixon & Co.)

?–?

London based retailer of china and earthenware. Wares were produced specifically for Dixons at the Ruby Porcelain Works from 1916-1929.

Donegal Parian China Ltd

1986–?

Manufacturer of Parian china giftware at Ballyshannon, County Donnegal, Ireland. Donegal Parian China was formed in 1986, but in 2003 was a part of the Belleek Group. The Belleek website currently (2009) has no reference to Donegal Parian China. Products include tea and coffee ware, nurseryware and a wide range of giftware and collectors items.

Doric China Co.

1924–1948

China manufacturer at High St, Longton. The business was taken over by the Royal Albion China Co. in about 1935, but continued to operate under its own name until 1948 when the proprietor, J. H. Dale, sold the assets to the principals of the Jason China Co. Ltd. Doric was a manufacturer of floral china. See also the entry for Royal Albion China Co.

Dorincourt Potters

1952–?

Tile decorator at Leatherhead, Surrey. Established in 1952, Dorincourt Potters was a unit of Dorincourt Estates, a non-profit organisation providing support for disabled people. The tiles were bought in, decorated, glazed and fired by Dorincourt before being sold to furniture manufacturers and the building trades. Underglaze hand painting and screen-printing were employed.

Dorothy Ann Floral China

Active 1950s

Manufacturer of bone china floral jewellery at 149 London Rd, Stoke.

Doulton & Co. (Ltd) Lambeth

1854–1956

Earthenware and stoneware manufacturer at Lambeth High Street, London. Doulton & Co. was the name of the Doulton family partnership established in 1854. The partnership was formed following the retirement of John Watts from the partnership with John Doulton begun in about 1815. The new business, Doulton & Co., incorporated the domestic and industrial stoneware manufactured by Doulton and Watts, and the glazed sanitary pipes and fittings business ‘Henry Doulton & Co.’ established by John Doulton’s son Henry in the late 1840s. Under Henry Doulton’s management, the new business prospered as a manufacturer of pipes, sanitary fittings and other industrial ceramics.

In the early 1860s, however, the company began the manufacture of the domestic and ornamental salt glazed stoneware that became known as ‘Doulton Ware’. The nearby Lambeth School of Art became associated with the Doulton business from about the same time and Henry Doulton joined the Board of the School in 1863. Doulton & Co.’s decorative stoneware produced in association with the School of Art had enormous success at International Exhibitions in the 1860s and 1870s, culminating in acclaim at the Philadelphia Exhibition in 1886, and also at Chicago in 1893. By 1890, demand for the decorative stoneware had become so great that 350 designers and artists were employed in the Lambeth studios.

Demand for the intricately ornamented stoneware declined in the early 20th Century and, following the end of the First World War, Lambeth produced decorative stoneware reflecting more contemporary tastes. The studio was revived again in the 1950s under the direction of Agnet Hoy, but was closed in 1956.

The Lambeth stoneware is exceptionally diverse and highly collectible. Most marks include the words ‘Doulton Lambeth’ and many pieces are signed or initialled by the artist responsible. In 1974, Doulton introduced ‘Lambeth Stoneware’ a casual tableware brand in an oven and freezer proof stoneware body. See the entry for Doulton & Co. Ltd (Burslem).

Doulton & Co. (Ltd), Burslem

1882–1993? (Inc. 1899)

Manufacturer of earthenware and bone china at Nile Street, Burslem. Formerly Pinder, Bourne & Co. Henry and James Doulton purchased an interest in Pinder, Bourne & Co., manufacturers of domestic earthenware, sanitary fittings and electrical insulators at Nile St, Burslem, in 1877. The purchase following an approach from Shadford Pinder, the principle of the business. The partnership, however, was not a success and in 1882 Pinder left the business which was then reconstituted under the name Doulton & Co., Burslem.

Henry Doulton’s sons entered the business in 1881 and it was incorporated as Doulton & Co. Ltd in 1899. The Royal Warrant and right to use ‘Royal’ in the name of its products were granted in 1901. Sir Henry Doulton died 1897 and the business continued under the leadership of his son, Henry Lewis Doulton from 1897 to 1919, and then that of his grandson Lewis Eric Hooper who remained Chairman until 1955. The Doulton group restructured in 1955-56 and the Nile St, Burslem, operations became a subsidiary company Doulton Fine China Ltd, separate to the group’s various industrial ceramics businesses. The other subsidiaries were Doulton Sanitary Potteries Ltd, Doulton Industrial Porcelains Ltd and Doulton Vitrified Pipes Ltd.

Doulton was at the forefront of the consolidation of the UK ceramics industry during the 1960s taking over the businesses of Mintons Ltd and Dunn Bennett & Co. Ltd in 1968, and Webb Corbett Ltd (glass) and John Beswick Ltd in 1969. In November 1971 S. Pearson & Son Ltd, a member of the Pearson Group, and already owner of Allied English Potteries Ltd, acquired Doulton & Co. Ltd, merging the two groups under the Doulton name. Allied English Potteries Ltd was renamed Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd and became a subsidiary of Doulton & Co. Ltd responsible for the tableware and giftware businesses of both groups. Doulton & Co. Ltd continued to operate as the holding company for Pearson’s ceramics interests until the float of Royal Doulton plc in 1993.

The earthenware and bone china wares produced at Nile Street, Burslem are the subject of many specialist publications. The most important products were tableware, ornamental wares, character jugs and figurines. The 20th century Doulton mark of a lion and crown above the name Royal Doulton and ‘4D’ symbol was introduced in late-1901 following issue of the Royal Warrant and has been used until recent times. ‘Made in England’ was part of the mark from about 1930. From 1922–1927 a mark lacking the crown was used although the presence of the standard mark on wares dated to this period suggest that both marks may have been used. There are numerous special Doulton marks on series ware and other special lines. For information on the post-1971 history of Doulton refer to the entries for Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd and Royal Doulton plc.

Doulton Fine China Ltd

1956–Active 1973

Manufacturer of earthenware, bone china, and English Translucent China at the Royal Doulton Potteries, Nile St, Burslem. In January 1956 Doulton reorganised its operations into four subsidiaries, manufacturing sanitary wares, industrial porcelains, drainage pipes, and earthenware and fine china. The latter, the non-industrial ceramics business, became the responsibility of a new subsidiary company ‘Doulton Fine China Ltd’ registered in October 1955. Following the merger with Allied English Potteries Ltd in November 1971 the Doulton Fine China Ltd business became part of Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd. Use of the Doulton Fine China Ltd name continued to c.1973. The main products of the company were tableware, Doulton figurines and Doulton character jugs marketed under the Royal Doulton name. From 1960, the company introduced English Translucent China, a new body manufactured without the calcined bone required for bone china. English Translucent China was known as ‘Fine China’ from about 1979 and products are marked ‘TC’.

Doulton (Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd)

1973–1993

Name adopted for the merged tableware and giftware operations of Allied English Potteries Ltd and Doulton & Co. Ltd. S. Pearson & Son Ltd, owners of Allied English Potteries Ltd, acquired Doulton & Co. Ltd (Royal Doulton) in November 1971. The two groups merged their operations from July 1972 and a note in Tableware International in August 1972 (Vol 2, page 66) states that “Allied English Potteries will become a subsidiary of Doulton and its name will be changed to Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd“.

From January 1973 the new company became custodian of the tableware and giftware assets of the two groups including the Royal Doulton, Minton, Beswick, Dunn Bennett, Booths, Colclough, Royal Albert, Royal Crown Derby, Paragon, Ridgway, Queen Anne, Royal Adderley and Royal Adderley Floral names, and their vast manufacturing operations. The company also held the 50 Lawleys china and glass retail stores inherited from Allied English Potteries. Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd was a subsidiary of Doulton & Co. Ltd, itself a subsidiary of the Pearson Group. The name was in use until at least 1983 and probably until the float of Royal Doulton plc in 1993. See the entries for the individual companies for further details.

Doulton (Royal Doulton plc)

1993-2005

Manufacturer of bone china, English Translucent China and earthenware at various locations in Staffordshire and in Indonesia. The tableware manufacturing interests of Pearson plc (S. Pearson & Son Ltd pre-1984) trading under the Royal Doulton name were floated on the London Stock Exchange in December 1993 as part of a rationalisation of the Pearson Group’s industrial interests.

The new public company, Royal Doulton plc acquired Holland Studio Craft, a maker of resin sculptures, and art glass maker Caithness Glass in 1996. Royal Doulton made substantial losses in 1997, 1998 and 1999 leading to the sale of Royal Crown Derby Ltd to a management-led group in early 2000, and the sale of Caithness Glass to Royal Worcester Spode Ltd in 2001. Despite substantial rationalisation, losses continued and in March 2002 Doulton announced the closure of its historic Baddeley Green factory and the transfer of production of ‘Royal Albert’ to Indonesia. The closure of the Beswick Gold St Works in Longton was announced in September 2002 and both factories ceased production in December 2002. In March 2004 the company announced that its only remaining UK factory, the famous Nile St premises in Burslem, would also close.

Waterford Wedgwood who had purchased 15% of Doulton’s shares in 1999 increased its stake to 21% in 2002 and completed a £39.9 million takeover of Royal Doulton plc in February 2005. On the 15th April 2005 production at the historic Nile Street site ceased and production of the Royal Doulton, Minton and Royal Albert brands was transferred to factories of the Waterford Wedgwood group. See the entry for Doulton & Co. Ltd for the earlier history of the group.

Doulton Insulators Ltd

Active mid-1970s

Manufacturer of industrial ceramics, giftware and lamps at the Royal Doulton Potteries, Two Gates, Tamworth, Staffordshire. Doulton Insulators were primarily makers of insulators and other industrial ceramic products. In the mid-1970s they produced lamp bases and giftware designed by the Queensbury/Hunt Design Partnership. Products included candlesticks and jardinieres.

Dresden Floral Porcelain Co. Ltd

1945–1956

China manufacturer at Stone Rd, and Lightwood Rd, Longton. Dresden Floral Porcelain produced hand-made and hand-decorated floral china giftware.

Dresden Porcelain Co.

c.1892–1903

China manufacturer at the Newtown Works (renamed Blyth Works in 1903), Longton. The Dresden Porcelain Co. was established by Thomas Forester & Sons Ltd for the purpose of bone china manufacture. It followed earlier Forester partnerships with Clement Meigh and with William Taylor at the Melbourne Works, Church St, Longton. In 1903 the company name was changed to Blyth Porcelain Co.

Duchess China Ltd

c.2000 (?)–Active 2009

Bone china manufacturer at the Duchess China Works, Uttoxeter Rd, Longton. Duchess China Ltd is a subsidiary of Grimwades Ltd and is at least the third company to acquire and use the ‘Duchess’ name. The name was originally associated with A. T. Finney & Sons Ltd, the original manufacturers of Duchess China. John Tams Group plc were the owner of the Duchess China name from c.1989 following their purchase of the Finney business. Speculatively, the Duchess China brand name was acquired by its current owner Grimwades Ltd (who trade under the name ‘Royal Winton’) when Tams Group had financial problems in the late 1990s.

Duchess China Ltd produces fine bone china tableware, bone china hotelware and mugs. The Duchess China Ltd mark is the ‘Duchess’ name surmounted by a crown and the words ‘Established 1888’, the latter probably a reference to the formation of the Dresden Porcelain Co.

Dudson Bros (Ltd)

1898–Active 2009

Manufacturers of earthenware, stoneware and bone china for the catering industry at Hope St, Hanley. The firm became Dudson Bros in 1898 and was later incorporated. Initially known for its jasper ware and majolica, Dudson Bros have been specialist manufacturers of hotel and restaurant wares since the 1890s. The group expanded following the end of the Second World War establishing the firm of J. E. Heath Ltd in 1951 as a maker of hotelware using the Armorlite brand name, and acquiring Grindley Hotel Ware Ltd, owner of the Duraline brand, in the late 1950s.

The Dudson Group companies remain in the ownership and management of the Dudson family to the present day. Dudson has specialised in the production of vitrified earthenware and vitrified stoneware for the hotel, catering and hospital industries.

Dudson, Wilcox & Till Ltd

1902–1926

Earthenware manufacturer at the Britannic Works, Hanley.

Dunmore Pottery

1800s–c.1915

Manufacturer of domestic earthenware and art pottery at Dunmore Moss, Stirlingshire, Scotland. Originally a manufacturer of utilitarian earthenware, from c.1866 under Peter Gardner, the Dunmore Pottery produced ornamental art ware. Gardner died in 1902 and the Pottery was acquired by Robert Henderson and renamed Dunmore Pottery Co. The business had various other owners until it closed in about 1915. Wares from the Peter Gardner period may be marked with an impressed seal including the words ‘Peter Gardner’ and ‘Dunmore Pottery’. A simple impressed ‘DUNMORE’ mark is more common.

Dunn, Bennett & Co. (Ltd)

1876–1983 (Inc. c.1907)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Royal Victoria Works and Dalehall Works, Burslem. The Dunn Bennett business was established in 1876 by William Dunn and his son-in-law William Wood-Bennett to manufacture vitrified hotelware. The Dunn Bennett business was acquired by Doulton & Co. Ltd in 1968 to strengthen the hotel and catering ware business of Doulton Fine China Ltd. In 1983 Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd divested its vitrified hotel ware businesses (Dunn Bennett and Steelite) in a management buy-out that led to the formation of Steelite International Ltd. Dunn Bennett were the suppliers of vitrified ‘Rocklite’ hotelware.

Dunoon Ceramics Ltd

1974–Active 2009

Manufacturer of mugs, kitchenware and teaware in stoneware and bone china at Dunoon, Scotland, and in the Staffordshire Potteries. Dunoon Ceramics Ltd was established by Mr Gordon W. Smith and Mr William Harvey, both formerly of Staffordshire Potteries Ltd, at Hamilton St, Dunoon, Argyle, in 1974 to manufacture high quality stoneware mugs. The business introduced complementary stoneware tableware in 1975 and oven-to-tableware in 1976. Bone china manufacture was started at a new factory at Stone, Staffordshire in 1982 and includes mugs and teaware. Dunoon is best known for its high quality stoneware and bone china mugs, many decorated with Scottish themes.

Dunster Pottery

1959–?

A studio pottery established by George T. Holland (a descendent of William Fishley Holland) at Dunster, Somerset, in 1959. The Pottery produced ornamental earthenware marked with an impressed ‘DUNSTER’ and the initials ‘GTH’.

Dura Porcelain Co. Ltd

1919–1921

China manufacturer at the Empress Pottery, Hanley. Dura Porcelain Co. Ltd manufactured dolls’ heads and crested souvenir ware branded as ‘Sylvan China’.

Duraline (The Duraline Hotel Ware Co. Ltd)

Late 1970s–Active 2007?

Manufacturer of vitrified hotel ware as a member of the Dudson Group. The Duraline Hotel Ware Co. Ltd was a new name adopted in the late-1970s (1975-1979) by the former Grindley Hotel Ware Co. Ltd manufacturer of the ‘Duraline’ branded hotel ware. Both companies were subsidiaries of Dudson Bros Ltd.

Durham China Co. Ltd

1947–1957

Manufacturer of china and earthenware at Gateshead, County Durham.